Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A possible CB2 signing that would not count against the LeVeon Bell comp pick formula

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    FWIW, this is why I think we don't add above average to elite secondary talent. The UFA costs for corners is very high and we usually don't have the room.

And because the UFA value is so high, guys that look like they can be elite CBs tend to go much earlier than we pick. It's too bad we didn't really **** the bed this year and get up to the same kind of pick where we got Ben.
    So would you try and trade up since we are closer to the top then we normally are? A trade up that might include Brown?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    So would you try and trade up since we are closer to the top then we normally are? A trade up that might include Brown?
    I think you asked me this before.

I'd try to trade up if I thought there was a "sure thing". But I don't think we have the ammunition to get into something like the top 10.

AB isn't on the trade chart, but the one I found says that to land the 10th pick (1300) we'd need to give up something like our 1st round pick at 20 (850), our 2nd round pick at 52 (380), our fourth round pick at 115 (64), and our 7th (13) [we overpay by 7 in this case].

If they would do AB and our 1st for a top 10 pick, I'd probably do it if I thought I could get someone I projected to be an elite defender. But if I was Denver in this case, I'd be upset about trading away a potential franchise player at 10.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    FWIW, this is why I think we don't add above average to elite secondary talent. The UFA costs for corners is very high and we usually don't have the room.

And because the UFA value is so high, guys that look like they can be elite CBs tend to go much earlier than we pick. It's too bad we didn't really **** the bed this year and get up to the same kind of pick where we got Ben.
    I'm not sure that there is a top 15 talent at CB in the draft this particular year. Baker from Georgia, Greedy from LSU, Murphy from Washington, and Oruwariye all seem to be late 1 or early 2 type of guys. I think mostly d-lineman types and hopefully QB's come off the board early. Not seeing any run on DB's until later. We may actually end up with the pick of the litter of corners if we do fall in love with one of them, but it does not seem to be a particularly good class for the secondary. .
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

This draft is loaded with defensive talent minus the secondary which is a bit thin up top. I think we should sit tight in this draft.
    Jachai Polite
    Mack Wilson
    Byron Murphy
    Christian Wilkins
    Dexter Lawrence
    Greedy Williams
    Devin White
    Ed Oliver
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Banned

User Info Menu

I like that Mack Wilson suggestion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    This draft is loaded with defensive talent minus the secondary which is a bit thin up top. I think we should sit tight in this draft.
    Jachai Polite
    Mack Wilson
    Byron Murphy
    Christian Wilkins
    Dexter Lawrence
    Greedy Williams
    Devin White
    Ed Oliver

Thanks to you (and Ruth) for the info on prospects and the prospect pool.

I don't really follow college players, so I like when people provide info on potential draft targets.