Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A possible CB2 signing that would not count against the LeVeon Bell comp pick formula

Legend

User Info Menu

A possible CB2 signing that would not count against the LeVeon Bell comp pick formula

The Falcons announced that they will be releasing 6 year veteran corner Robert Alford in a cost-cutting move. He had 2 years left on a 4 year, $38M extension ($21M guaranteed) he signed late in the 2016 season. He is not subject to waivers, and can sign with another team as soon as the release becomes official (you don't have to wait for the official start of free agency to sign a player who has been released by another team).

He was due to make $8.5M this coming season and $9.1M the year after that, but his price tag should be lower than that, so could be a reasonable CB2 signing to play opposite Haden who would be an upgrade over the likes of Artie Burns or Coty Sensabaugh.

Plus, signing a player who was released by another team does not count against the formula they use to calculate comp picks (we also benefitted from this loophole when we signed Haden after he was released by Cleveland). If we signed a typical free agent CB to a big money deal this offseason, that could (in essence) cancel out the loss of Le'Veon Bell, and we might lose out on the potential 3rd round comp pick many folks expect to get next year after losing Bell, but that would not happen with an Alford signing.

He tends to average 50-60 tackles per year, tends to have pass deflection numbers in the teens, and averages about 2 INT's per year.

He's not a CB1 anymore, but he could be a solid CB2 opposite Haden.

This would be a signing that would make sense, and we could also get a jump start on free agency with a move like this.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not a CB1 but even a CB2 would not be cheap imho. However, he is clearly an upgrade over AB or CS.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like it Ruthless. Please give Rooney/ Colbert a call and let them in on this idea.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's an upgrade but Im not sure that I don't want to see what else might be available. Especially with us having to move Brown, I want to know what type of quality CB Brown could fetch us in a trade scenario.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If we signed a typical free agent CB to a big money deal this offseason, that could (in essence) cancel out the loss of Le'Veon Bell, and we might lose out on the potential 3rd round comp pick many folks expect to get next year after losing Bell, but that would not happen with an Alford signing.
    That statement right there is why the Steelers are contemplating the transition tag IMO. I believe they plan to be active in the FA market this year (please don't misunderstand my statement...I don't expect them to play in the primary high priced market...it will be same old/same old shopping they do, however I think you will see actively pursuing higher priced secondary market FA's and perhaps a higher focus on quality over depth. Given that approach, I think they are hoping to arrive at some sort of trade agreement with a transition tag

from article on using tag for LB:

So the transition tag is on the table, but ultimately it might not have much of an effect aside from earning Bell a contract that pays big over his first year or two with a new team. Still, it would at least give Pittsburgh the opportunity to retain Bell and extend the clubís window to work out a trade with a needy franchise. With the dynamic tailback almost certainly out the door come 2019, thatís better than nothing.

It is going to be interesting to say the least.

brothervad

Legend

User Info Menu

The Falcons announced that they will be releasing 6 year veteran corner Robert Alford in a cost-cutting move. He had 2 years left on a 4 year, $38M extension ($21M guaranteed) he signed late in the 2016 season. He is not subject to waivers, and can sign with another team as soon as the release becomes official (you don't have to wait for the official start of free agency to sign a player who has been released by another team).

He was due to make $8.5M this coming season and $9.1M the year after that, but his price tag should be lower than that, so could be a reasonable CB2 signing to play opposite Haden who would be an upgrade over the likes of Artie Burns or Coty Sensabaugh.

Plus, signing a player who was released by another team does not count against the formula they use to calculate comp picks (we also benefitted from this loophole when we signed Haden after he was released by Cleveland). If we signed a typical free agent CB to a big money deal this offseason, that could (in essence) cancel out the loss of Le'Veon Bell, and we might lose out on the potential 3rd round comp pick many folks expect to get next year after losing Bell, but that would not happen with an Alford signing.

He tends to average 50-60 tackles per year, tends to have pass deflection numbers in the teens, and averages about 2 INT's per year.

This would be a signing that would make sense, and we could also get a jump start on free agency with a move like this.
    Ruthless--this is why I love you as a poster on this board. You find things of value to discuss while others are bathing in vats of negativity. Thank you.

Legend

User Info Menu

This was a great story. Good post Ruth. You do bring different aspects to the table while others just stroke management blindly while our team deteriorates .
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    That statement right there is why the Steelers are contemplating the transition tag IMO. I believe they plan to be active in the FA market this year (please don't misunderstand my statement...I don't expect them to play in the primary high priced market...it will be same old/same old shopping they do, however I think you will see actively pursuing higher priced secondary market FA's and perhaps a higher focus on quality over depth. Given that approach, I think they are hoping to arrive at some sort of trade agreement with a transition tag

from article on using tag for LB:

So the transition tag is on the table, but ultimately it might not have much of an effect aside from earning Bell a contract that pays big over his first year or two with a new team. Still, it would at least give Pittsburgh the opportunity to retain Bell and extend the clubís window to work out a trade with a needy franchise. With the dynamic tailback almost certainly out the door come 2019, thatís better than nothing.

It is going to be interesting to say the least.

brothervad
    Thanks brothervad.

It's interesting because I think them playing more in the UFA market is why I think they won't transition tag Bell.

I think tagging him would still mean that the transition tag value would be applied to their cap when they apply the tag (regardless of when he signs). I think that means they would tie up that cap space during the start of the UFA period, which is when they'll need the cap space the most.

I guess there are two sides to every coin...or three if you count the edge?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hope we get a true shutdown corner, and don't just settle for adding a #2. Get a stud and use Haden as our #2. This, plus adding major upgrades at ILB and SS through the draft and FA.