Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A possible CB2 signing that would not count against the LeVeon Bell comp pick formula

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ruthless--this is why I love you as a poster on this board. You find things of value to discuss while others are bathing in vats of negativity. Thank you.
    Get a room

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes..I'm on Board. I would also expect them to watch the cuts so it doesn't get used in comp form.

The Steelers will only tag bell to trade. I believe their only thought of doing it was based on the thought they were going to sign a FA CB to start. Like a poster said, now with the AB situation...They may use the trade as their FA CB acquisition & then let LB walk. They will know or already know. I'm sure behind close doors things already in motion. Won't be "official" until new league year.
    1ST
    A.White ILB
    B.Murphy CB
    C.Bush ILB
    D.Baker CB
    2ND
    A or C Gardner-Johnson/Mullen CB
    B or D Mack/Joseph/Pratt ILB
    3RD Jackson/Walker OLB
    4TH Hall WR

With AB Trade
    Raiders #24 & Conley
    49ers #36 & Moore

1ST Same
    #24/#36 Brown/Harry/Metcalf/Harmon/Campbell/Ridley WR
    2ND Same
    3RD Same
    4TH Oliver TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Alford is going to have a lot of other suitors...

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell wants $17 million per year and north of $45 million in guarantees. Atlanta Falcons’ Tevin Coleman is likely eying a similar payday to the one current San Francisco 49ers running back Jerick McKinnon received last offseason (four years, $30 million). Bell, Coleman and several others that are good at their job – being running backs – will get overpaid when considering current positional value.

Running backs are replaceable in today’s NFL largely because rushing production is much more dependent on the blocking ahead rather the individual skill of the back. As such, investing significant resource (i.e. draft capital, cap space) can be costly even if it is indeed invested in a spectacular running back.
    Teams eager to upgrade their backfields in free agency will pay (too much) for it from a return on investment perspective, but there certainly are upgrades to be had on this list.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...it-free-agency

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The $17/45 mill contract for Bell looks a bit lofty... especially since he's been out of football for a year.

It might happen, but I think Todd Gurley's end of year slump opened some eyes about paying "Stupid money" for a RB...
    especially when RB production (like you said) has more to do with what the guys in front of you are doing (the O-line) instead of the individual skillset of the back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    The $17/45 mill contract for Bell looks a bit lofty... especially since he's been out of football for a year.

It might happen, but I think Todd Gurley's end of year slump opened some eyes about paying "Stupid money" for a RB...
    especially when RB production (like you said) has more to do with what the guys in front of you are doing (the O-line) instead of the individual skillset of the back.
    thank you Ernie. Bell won’t get nearly what he thinks he’s worth. Which is what I’ve been saying for over two years now.
    From the 2010-2018 season, Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the post season; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cardinals sign Robert Alford

Posted by Josh Alper on February 7, 2019, 6:22 PM EST

Cornerback Robert Alford wasn’t unemployed for long.

Alford was released by the Falcons on Tuesday and he found a new job on Thursday. The Cardinals announced that they have reached agreement with Alford on a three-year deal.

The team didn’t announce terms, but Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports Alford’s deal is worth $22.5 million base with $13.5 million guaranteed.

Alford started 76 games for the Falcons over the last six seasons and he was a full-time starter for the last five of those years. The Falcons cleared $7.9 million in cap space by parting ways with him.

It’s not known what the Cardinals will be paying him, but he gives the team an experienced option to go with Patrick Peterson in the secondary. They tried a few others in Jamar Taylor, David Amerson and Bene Benwikere last season, but only Amerson made it to the end of the season with a roster spot. Brandon Williams, Chris Jones and Deatrick Nichols round out the group.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/07/cardinals-sign-robert-alford/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Legend

User Info Menu

Cardinals signed CB Robert Alford, formerly of the Falcons, to a three-year, $22.5 million contract.

Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the deal includes a healthy $13.5 million guaranteed. Alford was released by Atlanta just two days ago. He remained an every-down player in 2018, but his play slipped from the previous few seasons. Alford also turned 30 in November. He is not an impact player, but the Cardinals have spent years trying to find a legitimate option to pair with Patrick Peterson. The money suggests the Cardinals have already slotted him in as just that.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    From the 2010-2018 season, Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the post season; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

So Alford is considered an # 2 CB right? If so, then I wonder what exactly is the going rate for legit # 1 CB right now? Maybe what Gilmore got from the Pats a couple of years ago?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    So Alford is considered an # 2 CB right? If so, then I wonder what exactly is the going rate for legit # 1 CB right now? Maybe what Gilmore got from the Pats a couple of years ago?
    FWIW, this is why I think we don't add above average to elite secondary talent. The UFA costs for corners is very high and we usually don't have the room.

And because the UFA value is so high, guys that look like they can be elite CBs tend to go much earlier than we pick. It's too bad we didn't really **** the bed this year and get up to the same kind of pick where we got Ben.