Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DRAFT: Gary Jennings, Anyone?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't think of a better player to compare him to than Ju Ju. Coming out, experts had him pegged as below average speed, but strong and physical. Jennings is that to a T. He's a big, strong guy who is very dependable to catch the rock if it's anywhere near him. I agree with calm, of the 3 WVU WR's entering the draft, he's the guy I would take. Keep in mind what I mentioned earlier, he split a lot of playing time with some guys that could bring it. When those guys weren't producing, Jennings was the guy in the clutch.

As far as competition, there were some low level teams he competed against, however, omitted from that list is Oklahoma (top 4 playoff team), Texas (who beat Oklahoma), Oklahoma State, and Tennessee this past season. Last season, it was those first three mentioned plus Virginia Tech. If he wasn't fighting that nagging injury this year, he'd have easily surpassed 1000 yards again this season.

True Grier was a top tier QB, and that certainly didn't hurt his production any. So, we'll see how he grades out in March. If he's around in the 3rd round, he's a no brainer IMHO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly I'd be happy with any of the 3 WVU receivers (Jennings, Sills, or Sims).
    Sills was a QB until he arrived at WVU...so he is, in essence, still learning the position. His best days are still ahead of him IMO.

I thought it was neat that USC's Lane Kiffin got a verbal commitment from Sills as a 7th grader.
    Last edited by Ernie; 02-10-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ran a 4.47 and 4.43 at the combine today.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could JENNINGS be the 2019 second round pick following the pattern seen the previous 2 drafts (JuJu and J.W.)
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Could JENNINGS be the 2019 second round pick following the pattern seen the previous 2 drafts (JuJu and J.W.)
    after what i saw yesterday.. he could slip to the 3rd or 4th. This WR group is stacked

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    after what i saw yesterday.. he could slip to the 3rd or 4th. This WR group is stacked
    Yep... I feel good aboutus adding a quality Wr after what I saw in the combine. But Colbert knows how to find a Wr under a rock if he chooses to.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Yep... I feel good aboutus adding a quality Wr after what I saw in the combine. But Colbert knows how to find a Wr under a rock if he chooses to.
    Agreed. I'm not worried about weapons in this offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jennings surprised me with his 40 time. He's a bit quicker than he looks on film. If we don't take a WR in the 1st (which I doubt we will), then I think he's in play for us in the 2-3 round range.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin attended WVU Pro Day, spent time with both Jennings and SIlls.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/22/steelers-hc-mike-tomlin-attends-wvu-pro-day/

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin attends WVU pro day

The #Steelers and #Patriots both spent time w/ @WVUfootball WRs Gary Jennings and David Sills yesterday, before today’s Pro Day. Both young men also met/are meeting w/ the #Saints and #Lions here.

12:30 PM - Mar 21, 2019

As college pro days continue leading up to the 2019 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers continue to do their due diligence in scouting this wide receiver class. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin showed up at the West Virginia pro day on Thursday and according to reports spent some time meeting with the top two Mountaineers’ receivers.

David Sills and Gary Jennings would both represent the type of player the Steelers love. Hard-working guys who fight for every play and need polish in their games. For Sills, it is more about building his functional play strength and cutting down on drops.

For Jennings, he’s a much smoother athlete and plays with better speed. But his ball skills and footwork could be improved. But in terms of the Steelers, Jennings’ transition to a deep threat last season, as opposed to more of a possession receiver, has to be enticing. Both guys project as mid-round picks which is where the Steelers excel in finding wide receiver talent.

(https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1108767853384294401)
    (https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1108767853384294401)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Since both WR's are under a certain degrees of consideration, let's look at some more game film from both guys, shall we?

Sills 2018-2019