Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers must prioritize defensive playmakers

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we are all putting the cart before the horse...

Let's start with the combine; find out just who's who (or get a better idea of who's who) then we can go from there. But I'm worried about picking another bust with our first round pick. I am. I"m thinking the safest way for our management to hit on a guy and for him to come in and make an impact is a linebacker. I could be wrong; there could be other great options for us at # 20, but that's where I'm at right now.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Your not going to break them of that mindset brothervad. But here's the problem: It's arguable that Colbert can't identify conerback or safety talent anymore. It's been 8 years and he and our resident secondary expert have yet to draft a secondary player that can play.

So,..I'm hoping he goes linebacker with our first round pick because Colbert can still identify linebacker talent. Maybe use 2 out of our first 3 picks on linebacker.

And then as you said, use free agency for the secondary.
    I think it's probably more that elite secondary talent tends to go earlier than when we pick.

It's like how we used to not be able to draft a great QB. Then we sucked for a year and picked @ 11.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Gotcha, brovad...I just saw NB state "A great QB is supposed to be able to elevate WRs and TEs" and then you agreed with it, so I just quoted the most recent post to make my point that we haven't drafted a TE or WR in the first since the Cowher era, and Ben always seem to elevate those 2nd and 3rd day picks we tend to accumulate for him.
    For the record, I do think that Ben can (and has) elevated those players. That's why I think it would be a waste to draft them early.

I think Ben is a big part of the reason that we're really good at finding good WRs in the later rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I like Duke Johnson as well, but he signed a 4 year contract last summer, so he's not a free agent this offseason.
    Immaterial, .. he can whine and cry to be traded... just ask AB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it's probably more that elite secondary talent tends to go earlier than when we pick.

It's like how we used to not be able to draft a great QB. Then we sucked for a year and picked @ 11.
    Okay.... with that said , would you trade up to get White then?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Okay.... with that said , would you trade up to get White then?
    Depends on the price.

My guess is that it's prohibitively expensive to trade from something like 25 to something like 10.

And if if we wanted to pay the price we'd need a partner. I don't think I'd overpay to gamble on a player (and all draft picks are lottery tickets to some extent)

I would almost never trade next year's first because I think we're an injury to Ben away from having a premium pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we are going to move Brown, I"m looking at the Lions at # 8. They desperately need another WR . And I"m thinking doing some type of swap of either Brown for the # 8 or some type of " Brown for Marvin Jones and then we swap #8 for # 20" creative deal. I'm just spit balling right now but you see what I'm trying to do.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we are going to move Brown, I"m looking at the Lions at # 8. They desperately need another WR . And I"m thinking doing some type of swap of either Brown for the # 8 or some type of " Brown for Marvin Jones and then we swap #8 for # 20" creative deal. I'm just spit balling right now but you see what I'm trying to do.
    I've always seen Detroit at #8 as the best option for us. If we could get that pick and use it for Devin White then we fix a big problem on our defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd do those deals if they were available.

A top 10 pick has huge value.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Brown could move us up there, I'd do a deal. White looks like a player and we need play makers on defense. I'm confident we can find a WR in the draft or free agency who can be of help to us. Tyrell Williams for example; Just off the top of my head.