Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers must prioritize defensive playmakers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    They are all serviceable at best...

The draft this going to be deep on the D side of the ball...

I think there are going to be sooooo many BPA and at positions we need...

Hopefully we move cover our O shortcomings (WR if AB leaves, 2nd TE, and 3rd RB) in FA and just go crazy drafting D...
    While I agree, I wouldn't be totally shocked if they didn't grab a WR, TE and RB in the first 5 rounds. Yes, I said "and" not "or."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    While I agree, I wouldn't be totally shocked if they didn't grab a WR, TE and RB in the first 5 rounds. Yes, I said "and" not "or."
    Gerry Dulac over at the Pgh Post-Gazette last week essentially guaranteed the Steelers will take a WR in rd 1 or 2 if Brown gets traded. I won't be surprised at all if WR is an early pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just don’t want to miss on our first round pick. Whoever we take, he needs to be an immediate contributor.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    They are all serviceable at best...

The draft this going to be deep on the D side of the ball...

I think there are going to be sooooo many BPA and at positions we need...

Hopefully we move cover our O shortcomings (WR if AB leaves, 2nd TE, and 3rd RB) in FA and just go crazy drafting D...
    Can't ignore the offense, especially if AB is traded. His trade would require that you get some talent at either WR or a pass catching TE 3rd round or sooner.

We also need to look at depth and future starters on the OL. Foster may not be back. Pouncey can't play or avoid injury forever. I think we need to get interior OL in this draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

This may indeed be us going BPA regardless of position. Just got a funny feeling that whoever they have ranked highest on their board, that's where they go.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Gerry Dulac over at the Pgh Post-Gazette last week essentially guaranteed the Steelers will take a WR in rd 1 or 2 if Brown gets traded. I won't be surprised at all if WR is an early pick.
    Agreed. Without Brown you have only three WRs under contract - JuJu, Washington, Switzer - plus a bunch of guys who were signed to future contracts.

Assuming that you get at least a second rounder for Brown, one of those 3 picks within the first two rounds will be a receiver.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    With all those shortcomings you list, it's amazing Tomlin was able to field even a competitive defense.
    Was it competitive?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Why? Given the Steelers ability to find WR talent in later rounds, why spend a premium pick? The D needs more help than the O right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Why? Given the Steelers ability to find WR talent in later rounds, why spend a premium pick? The D needs more help than the O right now.
    I agree with this. Colbert can find WR in later rounds. He can still do that.

Starter

User Info Menu

OMG - after seeing yesterday's super bowl and we are still locked in the same mindset. Might I remind you the Super bowl winning team has the following WR depth chart

WR1: Julian Eddelman
    WR2: Chris Hogan (ok for a brief stint Josh Gordon)
    WR3: Philip Dorsett
    WR4: Cordarrelle Patterson

Not exactly a murderer's row is it?

Here is the fact - the Steelers need to fix the D and they can augment their O with a smart amount of FA signings and drafting a WR in later rounds.

We keep on falling into the same mindset again and again.

brothervad