Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking out against Tomlin's Leadership: First Bettis, Now Hines

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree with Captain here.

That last point is TBD and the reason why Rooney hasn't renewed Tomlin's contract.
    My opinion,... he has the capability to right what ail's the Steelers. But not certain he can do it in the time frame that is expected. There are still big moving parts on this team.
    your last paragraph certainly is telling.... considering Rooney was quoted in Feb 2018 as saying Tomlin was one of the best coaches in the league. youd think if he still felt like that, signing Tomlin to an extension would be too priority.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Captain here.

That last point is TBD and the reason why Rooney hasn't renewed Tomlin's contract.
    My opinion,... he has the capability to right what ail's the Steelers. But not certain he can do it in the time frame that is expected. There are still big moving parts on this team.
    A couple simple questions:

1. Since the hire of Chuck Noll ( almost 50 years now) have the Rooney's ever kept a Head Coach who was an underperformer or didn't meet their expectation?
    2. If someone is still the Head Coach of the Steelers given #1, wouldn't a logical and a rational person conclude the Rooney's are happy with their current Head Coach?

Just a thought

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

1. Since the hire of Chuck Noll ( almost 50 years now) have the Rooney's ever kept a Head Coach who was an underperformer or didn't meet their expectation?
    2. If someone is still the Head Coach of the Steelers given #1, wouldn't a logical and a rational person conclude the Rooney's are happy with their current Head Coach?

Just a thought
    If Dan Rooney Sr. were running things that those conclusions could be more likely but since Jr. is running it (And Jr. doesn't have the insight or passion of football his dad had) then those are not logical conclusions.

If a Steelers coach were not pulling his weight per say, then that coach would ultimately be put on notice..meaning in a last ditch effort he'd be allowed to change assistants as he sees fit and do what he deems necessary to keep his job. Like Harbaugh did in Baltimore last year and like Tomlin is in the process of doing right now.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Spot on assessment by Rooney. No change.
    Rooney call Tomlin one of the best coaches in the league- He was right.
    He said regarding this season "nobody gets absolved....everybody knows we need to do better, including Mike."- Still correct.

There are mostly two extremes here:

1. Tomlin was NEVER any good.
    2. Other factors are most responsible for our downturn THIS season and were beyond Tomlins control.

The truth is Mikes history reveals a "good" coach.
    This was his worst season as a coach, and he bears LARGE responsibility for the downturn.

His history is why his leash is long......but a repeat of last season will rightly put his job in jeopardy.

I STILL think he is a good coach. I have no doubt Tomlin knows what he needs to do.

He just might not be able to do it here.
    Lemming, I'm not sure if I fall into your "extremist" camp here. I think I'd probably classify my opinion as:

3. Other factors beyond Tomlin's control (turnovers and kicking) are probably most responsible for our poor performance THIS season, and his track record should earn him the opportunity to prove that this team will revert to the mean next year.

Can you explain why you think he bears "LARGE responsibility" for the downturn this year? I think the biggest thing he didn't do was not cutting the kicker we just signed to a big contract. And I'd think the final decision to eat that cap hit is probably a GM decision because of the salary cap implications. Ultimately, we don't know where the coaching staff or the GM really stand on an issue like that.

I think the other huge mistake was the Ben / Dobbs fiasco. But for context (1) it sounds like the stadium there is designed to delay getting medical information to opposing coaches and (2) Tomlin also erred on the side of caution with Ryan Clark by holding him out of games in Denver even though he was medically cleared to play. To me, this seems like Tomlin genuinely caring about the well being of his players.

Many people will point to the AB meltdown, but I think it's impossible to know if it's Tomlin's fault that it happened now or if it's to Tomlin's credit that it didn't happen before now. I think I posted this before, but I think Phil Jackson did a good job keeping Kobe and Shaq together as long as he did. Maybe Tomlin screwed up with AB...but maybe he kept the ship together for as long as possible. And AB has the kind of talent you do that for.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 02-06-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just a thought
    if the organization had been run by the same person over that span... that may be a worthy discussion

Legend

User Info Menu

Just a thought
    I didn't do the fact check on this, but my thought was the Steelers HC typically gets a vote of confidence from the FO with a new contract prior to the final year of their contract.
    The fact that this didn't happen suggests a wait-and-see approach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't do the fact check on this, but my thought was the Steelers HC typically gets a vote of confidence from the FO with a new contract prior to the final year of their contract.
    The fact that this didn't happen suggests a wait-and-see approach.
    I think they have just held onto coaches that were good until they wanted to hang it up.

Cowher retired with a year left on his contract because of his wife's health.

A quick search didn't reveal if Noll had time left on his contract or not.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think they have just held onto coaches that were good until they wanted to hang it up.

Cowher retired with a year left on his contract because of his wife's health.

A quick search didn't reveal if Noll had time left on his contract or not.
    On Steelers.com they said that Tomlin's contract normally comes up later in the year as they have other items on their agenda. Coach isn't going anywhere for a long time unless he decides he's done.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    On Steelers.com they said that Tomlin's contract normally comes up later in the year as they have other items on their agenda. Coach isn't going anywhere for a long time unless he decides he's done.
    This fits with the team track record.

My guess is that they extend him either way.

They can always fire him during the next contract if they want.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This fits with the team track record.

My guess is that they extend him either way.

They can always fire him during the next contract if they want.
    The most entertaining day of 2019 will be when they extend Tomlin. How do we get real-time video of some posters having mental breakdowns???? Can the Mods help us with that???