Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 118

Thread: Speaking out against Tomlin's Leadership: First Bettis, Now Hines

  1. #21
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For another former player's view on Tomlin, here is what current Tampa Bay O.C. and former Steelers QB Byron Leftwich said to Peter King in a recent interview:


    Give me another coach who has been influential to you, and tell me what youíve learned from him.

    ďMike Tomlin. [Leftwich had two late-career stints backing up Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh.] Thatís easy for me. He is a unique guy, a great leader of men. My time in Pittsburgh was great and so valuable. I learned so much from coach Tomlin about how to handle the entire team. But mostly, what makes him so good is that he is a leader of men. Thatís something thatís hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.Ē

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/
    I respect Leftwich's perspective... and I certainly won't discount it... just as I hope you won't throw out the numerous opinions about Tomlin and his leadership that are different than Byron's.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For another former player's view on Tomlin, here is what current Tampa Bay O.C. and former Steelers QB Byron Leftwich said to Peter King in a recent interview:


    Give me another coach who has been influential to you, and tell me what you’ve learned from him.

    “Mike Tomlin. [Leftwich had two late-career stints backing up Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh.] That’s easy for me. He is a unique guy, a great leader of men. My time in Pittsburgh was great and so valuable. I learned so much from coach Tomlin about how to handle the entire team. But mostly, what makes him so good is that he is a leader of men. That’s something that’s hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.”

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/
    This is bull. This is a guy who was there for a minute and appreciative of the moment. All the evidence the last 12 years is counter to what he says. He's just trying to not stir up anything more then what we have right now.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steel, how can you say someones OPINION is bull?
    Everyone's opinion is just that.
    Doesn't make it fact bro....
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

  4. #24
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This is a guy who was there for a minute
    For the record...
    Hines Ward was a Steeler under Mike Tomlin for 5 seasons (2007-2011).
    Jerome Bettis was a Steeler under Mike Tomlin for 0 seasons (the Bus retired after the 2005 season and Tomlin was hired in 2007).
    Byron Leftwich was a Steeler under Mike Tomlin for 4 seasons (2008 and 2010-2012).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This is bull. This is a guy who was there for a minute and appreciative of the moment. All the evidence the last 12 years is counter to what he says. He's just trying to not stir up anything more then what we have right now.
    If you think that "all the evidence over the last 12 years" shows that Tomlin is a bad leader / coach, why do you refuse to acknowledge when people point to data outside of the 8 playoff games you seem to have cherry-picked to force your point?

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Leftwich is a coach in the league - and they have some unwritten rules just like the players are supposed to have. Sadly, many current steeler players fail to live by them. That being said, I'm fine with what Byron said. But I'm also fine with what Hines said and in my opinion the evidence of the last few years lends more weight to Ward's thoughts than Leftwich's.

    At the end of the day however, it's ridiculous and sad we are even having debates of this sort about the Steelers. That they ARE occurring means something isn't right down there on the south side. Who's fault is it? I still maintain that Art Rooney pays Tomlin to handle this stuff - and it ain't being handled well. So Tomlin needs to kick some butt and get the players back in line or the calls for HIS head are going to keep getting louder and louder........
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    During this media circus I thought Ryan Clark also had good things to say about Tomlin?
    There is always good and bad with any coach or boss. The main thing is some fans don't think he can bring
    # 7. I get it. But with Ben's time left I don't think a new coach and his people could get it done. And would Ben even play with a new coach?
    The Steelers are not going to mortgage the future for one more Ben/Tomlin SB. That is just how they do business. They will stay the course and build there team as they have for a long time. In 2022 after the new cba just start over with a new HC and QB. With a good continuation of draft picks and building the defense to a strength again. Some luck at QB maybe there still winning and not the Browns etc.

  8. #28
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    All the shinanigans that have gone on are to the contrary of what Byron said. What has happened proves everything that Harrison said was right because Harrison called it A YEAR earlier.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I think Hines Ward is being very Hypocritical here, he called Ben out publicly when he played, he was a part of contract hold outs and in locker room feuds. James Harrison and Hines Ward both have axes to grind with Mike Tomlin, Harrison was pissed about playing time and Ward was passed over for the Wide Receiver's coach position.

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    All the shinanigans that have gone on are to the contrary of what Byron said. What has happened proves everything that Harrison said was right because Harrison called it A YEAR earlier.
    Mike Tomlin has been a coach or coordinator at the College and NFL level for the past 23 years, the idea that he is a poor leader is just silly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •