Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Speaking out against Tomlin's Leadership: First Bettis, Now Hines

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I’m sorry to inform you but Dan Rooney Sr. has passed away. And if you read the tea leafs as well ( allowing Tomlin to do wholesale changes) these are the normal actions of management allowing a cos h to have one last chance to save himself before either firing him or allowing him to walk. For a reference, please see Mike McCarthy in the off season of last year. He was treated the same way as Tomlin is now.
    It seems your basing your opinion on the idea that ARII will want to do things differently than his dad did. I'm still not sure why you would think that, but I guess we'll see soon enough. Of course, your view on allowing a coach to make wholesale changes can be viewed in the exact opposite way. Most often it's with intention to entrench the leader as opposed to putting them on notice.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It seems your basing your opinion on the idea that ARII will want to do things differently than his dad did. I'm still not sure why you would think that, but I guess we'll see soon enough. Of course, your view on allowing a coach to make wholesale changes can be viewed in the exact opposite way. Most often it's with intention to entrench the leader as opposed to putting them on notice.
    My gut feeling is that behind the scenes, Art is pi$$ed. Although he denies the team is a circus, it clearly is one. And every sports writer in Pittsburgh is writing about it, keeping it in his face.

Tomlin may or may not be on a short leash but I feel like the fire under him is burning.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    My gut feeling is that behind the scenes, Art is pi$$ed. Although he denies the team is a circus, it clearly is one. And every sports writer in Pittsburgh is writing about it, keeping it in his face.

Tomlin may or may not be on a short leash but I feel like the fire under him is burning.
    you can tell by actions of the management. People keep assuming junior Rooney is going to always act like Senior Rooney. Do you act like your dad in everything??
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Most often it's with intention to entrench the leader as opposed to putting them on notice.
    I disagree ; Most often, this is managements last ditch way of giving you an opportunity to right the ship before they let you go. Please see Harbaugh situation last year as another example of that. Class managements give a coach that they respect that opportunity.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I’m sorry to inform you but Dan Rooney Sr. has passed away. And if you read the tea leafs as well ( allowing Tomlin to do wholesale changes) these are the normal actions of management allowing a cos h to have one last chance to save himself before either firing him or allowing him to walk. For a reference, please see Mike McCarthy in the off season of last year. He was treated the same way as Tomlin is now.
    How exactly is this particular offseason now considered to be some special instance of suddenly allowing Tomlin to make wholesale changes to his coaching staff in order to give him one last chance to save his job?

This offseason, coming off a 9-6-1 record:

Tomlin hired 3 new coaches he never worked with before (Teryl Austin, Eddie Faulkner, and Adrian Klemm) and promoted Shaun Sarrett from assistant OL coach to OL coach.

Compare that to last offseason, coming off a 13-3 record:

Tomlin hired 3 new coaches he never worked with before (Tom Bradley, Darryl Drake, and Karl Dunbar) and promoted Randy Fichtner from QB coach to offensive coordinator.

How is this offseason's assistant coach hiring cycle fundamentally different from previous assistant coach hiring cycles again?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    How exactly is this particular offseason now considered to be some special instance of suddenly allowing Tomlin to make wholesale changes to his coaching staff in order to give him one last chance to save his job?

Tomlin hired 3 new coaches he never worked with before (Teryl Austin, Eddie Faulkner, and Adrian Klemm) and promoted Shaun Sarrett from assistant OL coach to OL coach.

Tomlin hired 3 new coaches he never worked with before (Tom Bradley, Darryl Drake, and Karl Dunbar) and promoted Randy Fichtner from QB coach to offensive coordinator.

How is this offseason's assistant coach hiring cycle fundamentally different from previous assistant coach hiring cycles again?
    Ruth, as I stated in the other thread, you look to bicker and argue all the time now. I'm not going to participate in that. If you want to have factual , intellectual dialog, we can do that. But I'm not debating stupid stuff with you anymore. You argue for the sake of arguing now over things like, " The sky isn't blue; it's pink" " Grass isn't green; it's orange" ...silly arguments just to argue. You can do that by yourself. I don't wish to engage anymore. Your angry..you need to keep that to yourself.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think that ANY Rooney would like what's going on lately:

-Blunt acts a fool to get kicked off the team
    -Harrison acts a fool to get released and go to the cheaters
    -Coach leaves it to the players to fumble up the anthem issue a year ago
    -LB makes his salary demands so public that his own teammates talk about it to the media
    -AB starts acting like a selfish moron in attempt to be traded
    -AB and Harrison openly mock Tomlin
    -Ben botches his leadership efforts on the radio
    -Former players are coming out of the woodwork talking about the issues
    -Respected current team members are publicly calling the team Kardashians
    -Every news outlet imaginable is labeling the team a circus

As many have said, winning masks a lot of that. This past season, the lack of wins was an embarrassment, given the talent on the team.

Hell, the Browns were probably less of a drama-filled circus than us this past year.

I hope that behind doors, there have been a lot of heated discussions, demanding that Tomlin do something different to bring some respect back to the team.
    Last edited by Eich; 02-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I guess I'm wondering the same thing. It seems that a lot of people assume that the organization is working in the way that they would like it to instead of the way that they actually do. Could things be different now that Dan isn't around? Sure. I'm still not sure why anyone would actually think that though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't think that ANY Rooney would like what's going on lately:

-Blunt acts a fool to get kicked off the team
    -Harrison acts a fool to get released and go to the cheaters
    -Coach leaves it to the players to fumble up the anthem issue a year ago
    -LB makes his salary demands so public that his own teammates talk about it to the media
    -AB starts acting like a selfish moron in attempt to be traded
    -AB and Harrison openly mock Tomlin
    -Ben botches his leadership efforts on the radio
    -Former players are coming out of the woodwork talking about the issues
    -Respected current team members are publicly calling the team Kardashians
    -Every news outlet imaginable is labeling the team a circus

As many have said, winning masks a lot of that. This past season, the lack of wins was an embarrassment, given the talent on the team.

Hell, the Browns were probably less of a drama-filled circus than us this past year.

I hope that behind doors, there have been a lot of heated discussions, demanding that Tomlin do something different to bring some respect back to the team.
    Eich, well said. And common sense would dictate that behind closed doors, Rooney would ask Tomlin , "What is going on with the team?" and that Tomlin needs to do things different. That's just common sense to assume that those are some of the questions being asked.

A current player on the team called the team "Kardashians". Does he have an agenda (axe to grind) too Oviedo? They say, identifying there is a problem is 50% of the journey to fixing the problem. People who refuse to acknowledge we have a problem are one of the reasons we have these problems.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess I'm wondering the same thing. It seems that a lot of people assume that the organization is working in the way that they would like it to instead of the way that they actually do. Could things be different now that Dan isn't around? Sure. I'm still not sure why anyone would actually think that though.
    Sugar, I see what your saying. And I guess the ultimate answer for everyone is that we'll see over the next 6-12 months for that answer.