Thread: 4 free-agent inside linebackers the Steelers should consider

Legend

User Info Menu

4 free-agent inside linebackers the Steelers should consider

4 free-agent inside linebackers the Steelers should consider

By Curt Popejoy | January 18, 2019

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...gd8rxSW76xqRW0

One of the top offseason needs for the Pittsburgh Steelers is adding production and athleticism at inside linebacker. Vince Williams and Jon Bostic did a nice job last season but the middle of the defense could really use an upgrade in terms of run stopping. Bostic is entering the last year of his contract but could be released with a cap savings of $1.8 million. Here are three guys on the free-agent market the Steelers should consider.

Cory Littleton

Littleton came on strong in his first year as a starter for the Los Angeles Rams. He finished his third season with 125 total tackles, four sacks and three interceptions. He’s a tall, rangy inside linebacker better suited to the coverage responsibilities put on inside ‘backers in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme. He’s also only 25 years old. Littleton is an RFA so the Steelers may have to give up some compensation to sign him.

C.J. Mosley

It would be a bizarre twist if C.J. Mosley ended up on the Steelers. The Baltimore Ravens took Mosley with the No. 17 overall pick in 2014, just two picks after the Steelers drafted Ryan Shazier. Many critics of the Shazier pick wanted Mosley instead. Mosley isn’t the all-around linebacker Shazier was, but he’s a tackling machine who had 105 tackles in 15 games.

Jordan Hicks

For another guy who falls into the category of being a better version of what the Steelers already have, look at Jordan Hicks. He’s 26 years old and was incredibly productive in 2018. Hicks only played in 12 games but still managed 91 tackles and three sacks.

Denzel Perryman

If the Steelers want to shop out of the bargain bin, Denzel Perryman might be the guy. He’s a high risk/high reward coming off of a knee injury in the ninth game of last season. But in nine games, Perryman had 51 tackles and at only 26 years old still has his best football ahead of him. Any scenario with Perryman would be contingent on when he will actually be ready to play.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is a joke article right?

Please don't ask me why I think it might be a joke article, though.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Boom ..........

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I don't get it!

I agree avoid FA for ILB (maybe for OLB, DL, CB or S), but go via the draft in the 1st round this year!
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I got a laugh when I read this. Author originally posted this article on BR a few days ago with Avery Williamson as the no. 1 guy. I politely pointed out that Williamson is under contract till 2021. Looks like he threw Perryman in as a replacement

Legend

User Info Menu

good one.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Unless those guys become bargain basement cheap, Colbert & Rooney don’t like using free agency on moderate to high priced guys.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens want C.J. Mosley back, but “there are limitations with money”

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2019, 1:55 PM EST

There was word earlier this month that the Ravens and linebacker C.J. Mosley opened talks about a new contract and that the team hoped to get a deal done before the start of free agency.

At his press conference Friday, Ravens head coach John Harbaugh didn’t give a detailed update about where things stand on the talks but did confirm that the team wants him back. He also said that the desire to bring him back comes with a price tag.

“Yeah, you’d rather have C.J. back,” Harbaugh said, via the Baltimore Sun. “There’s always the give and take, of course. There are limitations with money, but C.J. wants to be back and we want him back. I think that’s a really good formula for a player coming back. I’m just not even going to entertain the possibility right now that that wouldn’t happen. I’ll just assume that’s going to happen. That’s where I’m at.”

The Ravens could use the franchise tag in the event they can’t reach a deal with Mosley. The tag will likely be in the neighborhood of $15.5 million for 2019, which could fall outside those limitations that Harbaugh mentioned on Friday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/ravens-want-c-j-mosley-back-but-there-are-limitations-with-money/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ravens want C.J. Mosley back, but “there are limitations with money”

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2019, 1:55 PM EST

There was word earlier this month that the Ravens and linebacker C.J. Mosley opened talks about a new contract and that the team hoped to get a deal done before the start of free agency.

At his press conference Friday, Ravens head coach John Harbaugh didn’t give a detailed update about where things stand on the talks but did confirm that the team wants him back. He also said that the desire to bring him back comes with a price tag.

“Yeah, you’d rather have C.J. back,” Harbaugh said, via the Baltimore Sun. “There’s always the give and take, of course. There are limitations with money, but C.J. wants to be back and we want him back. I think that’s a really good formula for a player coming back. I’m just not even going to entertain the possibility right now that that wouldn’t happen. I’ll just assume that’s going to happen. That’s where I’m at.”

The Ravens could use the franchise tag in the event they can’t reach a deal with Mosley. The tag will likely be in the neighborhood of $15.5 million for 2019, which could fall outside those limitations that Harbaugh mentioned on Friday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/ravens-want-c-j-mosley-back-but-there-are-limitations-with-money/
    I think he'll be a Raven long term.

Seems to me like they'll tag him if they don't have a deal done in time.

But, we all know that doesn't always work out for the best.