Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way too early cap cuts

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO Gilbert is as good as gone. $4.915M savings on a guy who has only played 12 games in the last two years. He is the best option when healthy, but combine the success of players like Feiler and Okorafor when replacing him with the almost $5M in savings, and you have a guy on his way out.

Next year you have:

Starters
    AV - $8.39M cap hit
    Feiler - $645M cap hit if you ERFA tender him and then extend him. First year still around the same

Backups
    Okorafor $823K cap hit
    Hawkins $852K cap hit

Other options
    Banner $645K ERFA tender
    Draft pick

I think Okorafor has shown signs that he can play in this league if called upon. The team has been high on Hawkins, but lets see him make it out of camp first. If still unsure about him you keep Banner around and maybe draft someone. I think they'd feel comfortable enough in the top three so that there is not a fear of cutting Gilbert or a need to spend large on a replacement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    IMO Gilbert is as good as gone. $4.915M savings on a guy who has only played 12 games in the last two years. He is the best option when healthy, but combine the success of players like Feiler and Okorafor when replacing him with the almost $5M in savings, and you have a guy on his way out.

Next year you have:

Starters
    AV - $8.39M cap hit
    Feiler - $645M cap hit if you ERFA tender him and then extend him. First year still around the same

Backups
    Okorafor $823K cap hit
    Hawkins $852K cap hit

Other options
    Banner $645K ERFA tender
    Draft pick

I think Okorafor has shown signs that he can play in this league if called upon. The team has been high on Hawkins, but lets see him make it out of camp first. If still unsure about him you keep Banner around and maybe draft someone. I think they'd feel comfortable enough in the top three so that there is not a fear of cutting Gilbert or a need to spend large on a replacement.
    Way to go breaking it down...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Squid, Oviedo is one of the guys around here who believe everything is fine and we need to maintain the course..while the titanic slowly sinks, Oviedo is one of the guys telling the band to keep playing.

You are wasting you time talking to him about anything reality based. He's quite delusional. I had to put him on ignore because talking to him is like trying to have a conversation with Charles Manson or Kanye West.
    i just want him to tell me how he thinks our secondary is fine and our dline is fine and 2/3rds our lbs are fine but say it isnt tomlins fault because we have no talent on that side of the ball...lol
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Remember ur not only replacing a starter ... you also need to find their fill in in case of injury.
    These cap savings aren't tremendous in today's NFL

Now if you have an oft injured player w/ a 10 million cap hit then you gotta let them go regardless.... but 4 or 5 million for a Vet isn't much when the upside of them being on the field is high.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

Next year you have:

Starters
    AV - $8.39M cap hit

Backups
    Okorafor $823K cap hit
    Hawkins $852K cap hit

Other options
    Banner $645K ERFA tender
    Draft pick

... that cap hit from Feiler is ​insane.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we decide to move on from Gilbert, he shouldn't just be cut outright. You can trade an accomplished NFL RT with a reasonable 2019 base salary of just under $5M. He should be able to net us a mid round pick if the team is comfortable with AV and Feiler as our bookend starters, Chuks as our gameday backup swing tackle, and Haskins & Banner battling in camp for the other depth OT.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    ... that cap hit from Feiler is ​insane.
    Damn...I really like Feiler but, That's gonna eat up quite a chunk

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If we decide to move on from Gilbert, he shouldn't just be cut outright. You can trade an accomplished NFL RT with a reasonable 2019 base salary of just under $5M. He should be able to net us a mid round pick if the team is comfortable with AV and Feiler as our bookend starters, Chuks as our gameday backup swing tackle, and Haskins & Banner battling in camp for the other depth OT.
    The problem is we are the only team that would sign a guy with an injury history...LOL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We got a little less than we wanted, but was a good move over all. Cap savings and a 6th. Hopefully we use all those 6ths and 7th rounders to trade up in draft or swap for players on cap cuts.
    Some players who are potential cap cuts... D. Jackson, Sean Lee, Shady Mcoy, Vic Beaslly

Now who is next to be cut or traded...
    Burnette
    Bostic

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    We got a little less than we wanted, but was a good move over all. Cap savings and a 6th. Hopefully we use all those 6ths and 7th rounders to trade up in draft or swap for players on cap cuts.
    Some players who are potential cap cuts... D. Jackson, Sean Lee, Shady Mcoy, Vic Beaslly

Now who is next to be cut or traded...
    Burnette
    Bostic
    I would say/ hope Burnett...Bostic is a good 2 down backer, But like VW, not good in coverage