Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Way too early cap cuts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Way too early cap cuts

Just a quick list of players who I think should be cut.

Gilbert 5M too injured pron have depth at RT
    Burnett 4M too injured pron from GB to us have our starters and look to draft/FA for 3rd safety
    Bostic 2M Ford outplayed him same position
    Rossie 1M never used
    Burns 3M He is burnt!

I only focus for cap savings for 2019, but cost might even run more in 2020.

That is roughly 15 million in savings from players who I think easily replaced, or already have their
    replacement on roster.

Who else do you guys think is gone?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Just a quick list of players who I think should be cut.

Gilbert 5M too injured pron have depth at RT
    Burnett 4M too injured pron from GB to us have our starters and look to draft/FA for 3rd safety
    Bostic 2M Ford outplayed him same position
    Rossie 1M never used
    Burns 3M He is burnt!

I only focus for cap savings for 2019, but cost might even run more in 2020.

That is roughly 15 million in savings from players who I think easily replaced, or already have their
    replacement on roster.

Who else do you guys think is gone?
    Remember that for every cut you make you have to find a replacement.

I'm in the minority but not ready to give up on Burns yet. Is it a coincidence that he regressed after Bradley took over DBs...not sure? I give him another year because if he can be rehabilitated he has the skills

I'm also not getting rid of Burnett. Our secondary got better when he was in it. I want to give him a chance to be a full year contributor.

The other guys I'd be OK with going, but like I said you have to replace them with someone

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the decisions on Bostic and Bud will be the most interesting outside of the Brown fiasco.

Extending Ben (and others?) would also give us some more room.

Legend

User Info Menu

I saw a lower savings for cutting Burns, only $1.7 million. As Ovi pointed out, you'd need to replace him, so it's a max savings of $1.2 million. For a guy who has natural gifts, I'd give him a year of working with Austin, who did have earlier success as a secondary coach. For the majority of the season, I would have agreed on Burnett. But he did seem to step up late in the year.

I think Bostic makes it to camp as depth, but I could see him as a cap casualty, particularly if the Steelers draft an ILB.

Banned

User Info Menu

the Gilbert call was a good one.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you cut Gilbert and don't re-sign the 33 year old Ramon Foster, we'd be replacing 40% of our OL this year.

Sure, Matt Feiler has looked good filling in that RT, and B.J. Finney has looked good filling in at LG, but we are now counting on those guys to be starters, our OL depth is now suddenly depleted, and the master of developing quality OL depth is in Denver.

When healthy, Gilbert is a top RT in the league, and well worth a $5M cap hit. I'd hold onto him, and also try to bring back Foster on a reasonable short-term deal if possible. Gives us continuity with our starting 5 as we enter the full-time Sarrett era (AV, RF, MP, DD, MG) and plenty of experienced quality depth (Feiler, Finney, Chuks) as well. Why turn a definite strength into a possible weakness just to save a few bucks?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Remember that for every cut you make you have to find a replacement.

I'm in the minority but not ready to give up on Burns yet. Is it a coincidence that he regressed after Bradley took over DBs...not sure? I give him another year because if he can be rehabilitated he has the skills

I'm also not getting rid of Burnett. Our secondary got better when he was in it. I want to give him a chance to be a full year contributor.

The other guys I'd be OK with going, but like I said you have to replace them with someone
    so our secondary does have the talent, seeing you are good with keeping those guys....................nice to know
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you cut Gilbert and don't re-sign the 33 year old Ramon Foster, we'd be replacing 40% of our OL this year.

Sure, Matt Feiler has looked good filling in that RT, and B.J. Finney has looked good filling in at LG, but we are now counting on those guys to be starters, our OL depth is now suddenly depleted, and the master of developing quality OL depth is in Denver.

When healthy, Gilbert is a top RT in the league, and well worth a $5M cap hit. I'd hold onto him, and also try to bring back Foster on a reasonable short-term deal if possible. Gives us continuity with our starting 5 as we enter the full-time Sarrett era (AV, RF, MP, DD, MG) and plenty of experienced quality depth (Feiler, Finney, Chuks) as well. Why turn a definite strength into a possible weakness just to save a few bucks?
    And that is a scary thought to have our O-line depth depleted while breaking in a new O-line coach. At least it's scary to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    And that is a scary thought to have our O-line depth depleted while breaking in a new O-line coach. At least it's scary to me.
    Then why is the Gilbert call at good one?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so our secondary does have the talent, seeing you are good with keeping those guys....................nice to know
    Squid, Oviedo is one of the guys around here who believe everything is fine and we need to maintain the course..while the titanic slowly sinks, Oviedo is one of the guys telling the band to keep playing.

You are wasting you time talking to him about anything reality based. He's quite delusional. I had to put him on ignore because talking to him is like trying to have a conversation with Charles Manson or Kanye West.