Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben the leader.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    He's only had the radio show for 5 yrs... and only started 'calling out' players this season.

yet fans have been saying ben is a bad leader for a decade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yet fans have been saying ben is a bad leader for a decade.
    Your comment was about the team voting him MVP for the last 10 yrs, not the fans.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dp ........................
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 01-19-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Wexell: Ben not to Blame for Brown Fiasco

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ama-127949110/

Good article.

coming from a team beat writer and someone who's been tough on Ben in the past.

some of these idiots speculating leadership abilities and other made up junk need to read that article

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    as fans we complain if players and coaches give us sanitized bs answers. then on the flip side we want players to toe the company line and give bs answers in public so we can live in a fantasy world and assume they are perfect in dealing with situations behind closed doors.

i tend to believe the guys that f up in the media are probably more genuine and forthright. the ones who do and say everything perfect tend to be liars. the football world is not different than the rest of life whether it's work, family, etc.

bottom line, i don't think ben is the problem really. if i think about who i should trust, i'd go with what guys like pouncey, foster, decastro, villenueva, etc. have said. those guys don't work for the attention or the stats. probably the OL and DL are likely to be the most selfless and honorable people on the team. and the Oline seems to like Ben. even the DLine does too.

i also believe ben was probably a lot worse when he came into the league as a leader. and the stories of his run ins with guys like porter are probably spot on. and i do believe he's a bit of a drama queen, however, he's a tough SOB that seems to give everything he's got for the team at all times. he seems to play when other guys would probably be out of games. i think he fights for his guys. i think he knows as a QB, he's measured by his team's success in the long run. i think he probably calls out guys to motivate them and even someone like pouncey has alluded to his right to do so.

i dunno. i just don't buy this being a big deal. and the real litmus test is that rooney is extending ben's contract. if ben was a big part of the problem, why extend an old QB and why not try to move on? rooney seems to have ben's back and so does tomlin for that matter.
    Peezy has been an idiot in the locker room since his playing days up until his coaching stint here with reports of him pitting the offense players vs. the defensive players

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Peezy has been an idiot in the locker room since his playing days up until his coaching stint here with reports of him pitting the offense players vs. the defensive players
    It never really struck me that Porter had a coaching personality. But at the time I thought hey, maybe he had matured.
    How much of his playing success was technique vs athleticism? I would think you want a position coach that was a master at technique.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

some people tend to equate great players with great people. The two are not mutually exclusive. let's be honest, ben is a great QB. But as to a great person? His reputation in town is not good. His antics outside of town were troublesome. He had to make a special effort to make 'amends' with his home town if Findley. When other steeler players are asked about Ben, they reference his abilities on the field. I don't know if I can recall anyone saying what an upstanding guy he is.

This is all speculative and anecdotal of course. None of us are in that locker room.

But my guess is despite being a great QB - he's simply not a good person, good teammate and not well liked. That is a problem - but it's a problem that can't be solved. He is who he is. And when you combine who he is with diva WR's or RB's - it's simply detrimental to the team.

How else do you explain a HOF QB, WR and RB unable to coexist?
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    some people tend to equate great players with great people. The two are not mutually exclusive. let's be honest, ben is a great QB. But as to a great person? His reputation in town is not good. His antics outside of town were troublesome. He had to make a special effort to make 'amends' with his home town if Findley. When other steeler players are asked about Ben, they reference his abilities on the field. I don't know if I can recall anyone saying what an upstanding guy he is.

This is all speculative and anecdotal of course. None of us are in that locker room.

But my guess is despite being a great QB - he's simply not a good person, good teammate and not well liked. That is a problem - but it's a problem that can't be solved. He is who he is. And when you combine who he is with diva WR's or RB's - it's simply detrimental to the team.

How else do you explain a HOF QB, WR and RB unable to coexist?
    Not sure the diva WR and the money-hungry RB wouldn't have had problems with the team with even the greatest person at QB. I don't think the heart of their issues had much to do with their relationship with the QB.
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-19-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly...... it’s the environment that made those two like that; who’s responsible for the environment and culture of the team? Yeah.. you guys know who. The same guy who’s responsible for it on the other 31 teams in the league.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Exactly...... its the environment that made those two like that; whos responsible for the environment and culture of the team? Yeah.. you guys know who. The same guy whos responsible for it on the other 31 teams in the league.

Goodell! Trying to mess up the Steelers again