Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben the leader.

Legend

User Info Menu

it sure is strange that ben would have been voted team captain by his own team mates, 10 out of the last 11 years, if they didnt think he was a leader.
    seems like they would be mad for calling them out on his radio show and retaliate by not voting for him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    it sure is strange that ben would have been voted team captain by his own team mates, 10 out of the last 11 years, if they didnt think he was a leader.
    seems like they would be mad for calling them out on his radio show and retaliate by not voting for him
    He's only had the radio show for 5 yrs... and only started 'calling out' players this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the radio show serves little other purpose than to make Ben look like a fool most days and ron cook to attach his fat lips to bens rear end every chance he gets

needs to go the way of the dodo bird

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wexell: Ben not to Blame for Brown Fiasco

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ama-127949110/

Good article.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Yeah, this is proof enough to me. Next.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Wexell: Ben not to Blame for Brown Fiasco

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ama-127949110/

Good article.
    By the way, Rodgers and Brady get after their WR's from time to time. That's what the QB is suppose to do and that's what QB's do period.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the radio show serves little other purpose than to make Ben look like a fool most days and ron cook to attach his fat lips to bens rear end every chance he gets

needs to go the way of the dodo bird
    as fans we complain if players and coaches give us sanitized bs answers. then on the flip side we want players to toe the company line and give bs answers in public so we can live in a fantasy world and assume they are perfect in dealing with situations behind closed doors.

i tend to believe the guys that f up in the media are probably more genuine and forthright. the ones who do and say everything perfect tend to be liars. the football world is not different than the rest of life whether it's work, family, etc.

bottom line, i don't think ben is the problem really. if i think about who i should trust, i'd go with what guys like pouncey, foster, decastro, villenueva, etc. have said. those guys don't work for the attention or the stats. probably the OL and DL are likely to be the most selfless and honorable people on the team. and the Oline seems to like Ben. even the DLine does too.

i also believe ben was probably a lot worse when he came into the league as a leader. and the stories of his run ins with guys like porter are probably spot on. and i do believe he's a bit of a drama queen, however, he's a tough SOB that seems to give everything he's got for the team at all times. he seems to play when other guys would probably be out of games. i think he fights for his guys. i think he knows as a QB, he's measured by his team's success in the long run. i think he probably calls out guys to motivate them and even someone like pouncey has alluded to his right to do so.

i dunno. i just don't buy this being a big deal. and the real litmus test is that rooney is extending ben's contract. if ben was a big part of the problem, why extend an old QB and why not try to move on? rooney seems to have ben's back and so does tomlin for that matter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    as fans we complain if players and coaches give us sanitized bs answers. then on the flip side we want players to toe the company line and give bs answers in public so we can live in a fantasy world and assume they are perfect in dealing with situations behind closed doors.

i tend to believe the guys that f up in the media are probably more genuine and forthright. the ones who do and say everything perfect tend to be liars. the football world is not different than the rest of life whether it's work, family, etc.

bottom line, i don't think ben is the problem really. if i think about who i should trust, i'd go with what guys like pouncey, foster, decastro, villenueva, etc. have said. those guys don't work for the attention or the stats. probably the OL and DL are likely to be the most selfless and honorable people on the team. and the Oline seems to like Ben. even the DLine does too.

i also believe ben was probably a lot worse when he came into the league as a leader. and the stories of his run ins with guys like porter are probably spot on. and i do believe he's a bit of a drama queen, however, he's a tough SOB that seems to give everything he's got for the team at all times. he seems to play when other guys would probably be out of games. i think he fights for his guys. i think he knows as a QB, he's measured by his team's success in the long run. i think he probably calls out guys to motivate them and even someone like pouncey has alluded to his right to do so.

i dunno. i just don't buy this being a big deal. and the real litmus test is that rooney is extending ben's contract. if ben was a big part of the problem, why extend an old QB and why not try to move on? rooney seems to have ben's back and so does tomlin for that matter.
    Boom................

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    the real litmus test is that rooney is extending ben's contract. if ben was a big part of the problem, why extend an old QB and why not try to move on? rooney seems to have ben's back and so does tomlin for that matter.
    Art Rooney: Steelers would like to extend Ben Roethlisberger’s contract

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2019, 11:50 AM EST

In 2019, Ben Roethlisberger will the final year of his current contract. The Steelers would like to keep that from happening.

In an interview with Steelers.com, Steelers owner (and owner and operator of Steelers.com) Art Rooney II acknowledges the obvious.

“[W]e’d like to extend Ben’s contract,” Rooney said. “I always hate to predict the timing of those things, but that’s certainly something that is on the agenda for this offseason. Yes, the good news is that you certainly look around the league now and quarterbacks are playing at a high level into their 40s. I wouldn’t have expected that years ago, so I feel good about where Ben is physically, mentally, his ability to be a productive player for multiple years. So, I think we feel good about trying to extend his contract.”

It’s easy to say, “We’d like to extend his contract.” It’s not as easy to come up with the right number.

Roethlisberger is due to receive a $5 million roster bonus on March 19, along with a base salary of $12 million in 2019. That’s a total payout (math is hard) of $17 million for the year, along with a cap number of $23.2 million.

So what would it take to extend Roethlisberger’s deal? With the top of the market currently at $33.5 million and guys like Derek Carr making $25 million, Roethlisberger should want at least $28 million per year, the average paid to Kirk Cousins by the Vikings a year ago.

Under Roethlisberger’s current deal, he earns an average of $21.85 million per year. That’s been a very good arrangement for the Steelers, and Roethlisberger may want his next contract to make up for the fact that the Steelers have gotten franchise-quarterback performance from a guy who makes much less than other quarterbacks, franchise or otherwise.

Roethlisberger’s leverage would be to play year-to-year under the tag, which would result in a 2020 one-year contract of $27.84 million and a 2021 tender of $33.4 million. Those numbers also could lay the foundation for his minimum position on a new deal: Three years, $78.24 million, the sum of what he’ll make if he indeed proceeds one year at a time.

That’s an average of $26 million per year. For anything less than that, Roethsliberger should say, “Thanks but not thanks.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/17/art-rooney-steelers-would-like-to-extend-ben-roethlisbergers-contract/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Legend

User Info Menu

Meaning.................Ben ain't the problem fellas. So to the Ben haters, get over it and move on.