Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders let's it fly

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1 Pro Bowler drafted in 25 seasons. Across 4 starting spots. Terrible.

And wow, this thread sure did get off track.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It's not hard to understand the argument for those not interested in building straw men.
    Please be specific; what are you saying?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Good question; some people think it's all Tomlin's draft picks....

And I don't think anyone is questioning the Steelers have been woeful in drafting secondary players on defense...
    But are they bad at drafting or developing secondary players?

If the former then the blame lies primarily at the feet of Colbert, the scouts, and FO.

If the latter then the blame lies primarily at the feet of the coaches.

The problem is, which is it?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    But are they bad at drafting or developing secondary players?

If the former then the blame lies primarily at the feet of Colbert, the scouts, and FO.

If the latter then the blame lies primarily at the feet of the coaches.

The problem is, which is it?
    How many DB's we drafted under Colbert have gone elsewhere and succeeded? You could make an argument for coaching failures if players were successful elsewhere under different coaching, but that did not seem to be the case here.

Keenan Lewis in New Orleans was probably the closest, until injuries did him in. Chris Hope in Tennessee as well, I suppose. Can't think of a significant impact from anyone else off the top of my head (Bryant McFadden to Arizona doesn't really qualify, since they traded him back to us one year later in exchange for a swap of 5th and 6th round picks).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    How many DB's we drafted under Colbert have gone elsewhere and succeeded? You could make an argument for coaching failures if players were successful elsewhere under different coaching, but that did not seem to be the case here.

Keenan Lewis in New Orleans was probably the closest, until injuries did him in. Chris Hope in Tennessee as well, I suppose. Can't think of a significant impact from anyone else off the top of my head (Bryant McFadden to Arizona doesn't really qualify, since they traded him back to us one year later in exchange for a swap of 5th and 6th round picks).
    Lewis and Hope both had good seasons in Pitt before leaving. I wouldn't really say either developed at all elsewhere

Legend

User Info Menu

Mad Manny

Emmanuel Sanders got into it with one of his teammates at practice Monday.

The former Steeler had a confrontation with fellow receiver Courtland Sutton at Broncos camp.

“Obviously, it’s not good,” Broncos coach Vic Fangio said. “Can’t happen. Shouldn’t happen. But you’ve got to be able to react to these things and handle them the right way.”

Whatever happened, I’m sure Antonio Brown will take Sutton’s side.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-ca...s-camp-dustup/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Mad Manny

Emmanuel Sanders got into it with one of his teammates at practice Monday.

The former Steeler had a confrontation with fellow receiver Courtland Sutton at Broncos camp.

“Obviously, it’s not good,” Broncos coach Vic Fangio said. “Can’t happen. Shouldn’t happen. But you’ve got to be able to react to these things and handle them the right way.”

Whatever happened, I’m sure Antonio Brown will take Sutton’s side.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-ca...s-camp-dustup/
    This isn't something you see every day. Getting into it with a DB? Sure. Getting into it with a fellow receiver? That's a bit strange.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    This isn't something you see every day. Getting into it with a DB? Sure. Getting into it with a fellow receiver? That's a bit strange.
    Not when that receiver is about to permanently take your starting position away from you and you become a bubble candidate. Hahaha
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Not when that receiver is about to permanently take your starting position away from you and you become a bubble candidate. Hahaha
    Courtland Sutton is a completely different receiver than Manny Sanders (5 inches taller and about 35 pounds heavier).

Sutton was brought in to be Demaryius Thomas' replacement (and Thomas is already gone).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This is one of those "culture" differences that people either admire or ignore when it comes to the Steelers, but I believe that it still exists. I first remember paying attention to it when I heard JB.

He took FWP under his wing despite the fact the Fast Willie was younger, faster, and about to take his starting job away. He said that when he first came to Pittsburgh, several vets, including RBs, did everything possible that they could do to help him. It was all about team and if Jerome was going to be at his best then they had a better shot at the championship. This finally paid off for him when he helped school the younger back who was the starter in '05 and played a huge role in bringing them a title.

With a few exceptions, you still hear about that type of harmony in the Steelers locker room. Of course, the one guy who comes to mind who was not that type of character just left for Oakland. Upon leaving, Ju Ju made comments to the effect that he learned a lot from AB by watching him and his insane work ethic. I also believe in their little twitter exchanges that it was mentioned that Brown never helped JJSS become a pro, that it was just a case of him admiring and respecting Brown, but never did he receive any guidance.