Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Let's lighten up; Make your predictions on this weekend's games

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Right off the top of my head, McVay and Nagy where found last year. At some point, you've got to trust Colbert to do his due diligence just like those two teams did to find the right guy. Tomlin isn't it; whatever little magic he had has left. Been gone for years now.
    "you've got to trust Colbert to do his due diligence.." so Maniac, you trust Colbert to find the next right guy, but you don't trust his decision to keep Tomlin as a HC??.... interesting selectivity....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because again, Ben is only accoutable for the offense. Period.

Tomlin is accountable for the offense, defense , special teams. But especially the defense which is suppose to be his specialty. A defense he can't get right in the last 8 years. The offense has basically been there the last 8 years; the defense? No.

Ben is only accountable for the offense.

And the head coach IS important; but a good head coach is much easier to find then a legit QB. There are only 15 guys on the planet right now who can actually play the QB position. The other guys are faking and shaking. Like the Tennehill's of the league.
    So it doesn't concern you that Ben hasn't won a playoff game without the O getting carried by an awesome running performance (over 165 yards) in your 8 year period?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    unless tomlin is the coach
    i was going to say the same thing....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    i was going to say the same thing....
    I get it and it's actually funny. But, let's look at the data.

Tomlin is 2-1 (0.667) after a bye in the playoffs. On a 3 game sample, that's not much different than 21-7 (0.750) home team record in the divisional round since 2011 (source: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...and-more-tips/)

And I think losing the best defender on the team after the trade deadline was a big part of that loss. If we had an average defender at ILB instead of a guy off the street, I think we win that game. With Shazier, I think there's no question it's a win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I almost feel bad for Haden. He left the land of misfits to join a team with hope.

And now he finds himself on a team of misfits, when the team he left is the one with the hope.

How bizarre.
    I say we CUT HADEN!!!!! He brings out the "misfit" in people wherever he goes.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    So it doesn't concern you that Ben hasn't won a playoff game without the O getting carried by an awesome running performance (over 165 yards) in your 8 year period?
    Blitz, you do remember that it was the defense that fell apart against the Cardinals and that it was Ben who drove us down and threw an impossible pass to the corner of the endzone over 3 defenders to win our last super bowl right?

Blitz, you are aware of our history of how we win in the playoffs right? We've always done it with the defense leading the way. And there is nothing wrong with that.

You are enamoured with what you see from the Chiefs, Rams and Saints but the truth of the matter is we've had a high scoring offense for a while now and it hasn't worked for us. Why? Because our defense wasn't good enough.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 01-15-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Blitz, you do remember that it was the defense that fell apart against the Cardinals and that it was Ben who drove us down and threw an impossible pass to the corner of the endzone over 3 defenders to win our last super bowl right?

Blitz, you are aware of our history of how we win in the playoffs right? We've always done it with the defense leading the way. And there is nothing wrong with that.

You are enamoured with what you see from the Chiefs, Rams and Saints but the truth of the matter is we've had a high scoring offense for a while now and it hasn't worked for us. Why? Because our defense wasn't good enough.
    I am aware of our playoff history. I also think that playoff performance outside of your arbitrary 8 year timeline is important. But you don't...for Tomlin at least. I don't get why you still give Ben credit for older playoff victories (under the coach that let our QB throw the ball in the SB) when you're not interested in team success that far in the past.

Why do Ben's older successes matter to you, when Tomlin's don't? I don't see how that's logically consistent.

If you argue that we win in the playoffs with running and D, why don't you think we should trade a QB who hasn't won in your "important playoff timeline" without being carried by the running game? Wouldn't the best way to improve the D and the running game be to free up cap space by changing QBs? Especially since your arguing that running and D wins championships? I don't believe this myself, but if I try to look at it from the perspective you use to judge Tomlin, this seems like the logical way forward.

I'm not enamored with any of the teams left. I think it's interesting that they are the top 4 scoring teams in the league and all of them have average Ds. I think that means that the league might be having some success in making offense more important than defense. Our D is about the same in points and yards as the Pats and the Saints. Our scoring was close too. But our turnovers sucked and so did our kicking (but you said those things weren't the reason we were bad).

I still like Ben and think he can win the SB (with or without Tomlin as his HC). But, the arguments you use against Tomlin can all be turned back on Ben. And in this case, you start some of the arguments I use when defending Tomlin (older playoff history). I think that's a legit defense for both Ben and Tomlin. You seem to only think it can be used to defend the QB.

I don't get why you apply the importance of the last 8 years differently in both cases.

The whole point of me bringing these things up is that I don't understand how you think one is the worst ever (Tomlin) and one is great (Ben). I don't know how to separate the performance of the two, but I think they're both still good enough to win.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-15-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Blitz, if you can’t tell the difference of the responsibilities of the coach from the responsibilities of the qb, then I don’t know what to tell you.

But this organization stopped being able to draft secondary players after Cowhers players & coaches left. That is not part of Ben’s responsibilities.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Blitz, if you can’t tell the difference of the responsibilities of the coach from the responsibilities of the qb, then I don’t know what to tell you.

But this organization stopped being able to draft secondary players after Cowhers players & coaches left. That is not part of Ben’s responsibilities.
    It's obvious that they have different responsibilities. But, the question was about why you think 8 years is the right timeline for Tomlin but not Ben?

It's cool if you don't want to answer my question. We all have to manage our cognitive dissonance somehow.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.