Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Offseason thread

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

2019 Offseason thread

The Steelers have a lot to figure out...coaching staff changes?

Trade AB? AB's trade value?

Who to re-sign or release?

What non team free agents could be best fit for the team?

And of course, the draft.
    -------------------------------------
    Fitchner should be given another chance, Butler needs to go. Is Munchak pretty much gone? More than likely (huge blow to the team). Trying to remember if we need a new WR coach since Mann retired (or was that last year)?

Top candidates I'd like to see replace Butler as new DC..

Todd Bowles, Vic Fangio (more than likely becoming an HC), Kris Richard, Chris Hewitt and Mike Nolan. Not sure which college DC's would be available.

AB pretty much is going to be traded unfortunately, unless he holds out next year when Roethlisberger's contract is up..but the situation is going to fester even worse.

So.. predictions on his trade value return? If Cooper netted one first round pick..AB is worth more (despite age). Who are likely to trade for him? 8 likely destinations...

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2464007002

"So let's speculate and address this with a few potential trade partners.

Carolina Panthers
    Imagine the stylistic battles with Cam Newton if two of the league's hippest stars engaged in battles of one-upmanship on the haberdashery front. Trivial matters aside, Newton and Co. could use a do-it-all deep threat to relieve some burden from Christian McCaffrey while allowing 2018 first rounder DJ Moore to grow on an arc potentially similar to Smith-Schuster's. New owner David Tepper, who used to have a minority stake in the Steelers, would have valuable insight.

Green Bay Packers
    I know, I know — the Pack typically don't make daring forays into the trade or free agent markets. But let's not typecast new-ish GM Brian Gutekunst too quickly. Let's also remember that he has an extra first-round pick at his disposal this year if he wants to work something out. Lastly, with Randall Cobb headed to the open market, there is a need here — and Brown would certainly be the kind of upgrade that could revitalize Aaron Rodgers while giving a major boost to the next coaching staff.

Indianapolis Colts
    One of this season's AFC wild-card entries is clearly trending in the right direction. GM Chris Ballard is also flush with valuable picks — he has an extra second rounder this year to sweeten any deal — and more than enough cap space to accommodate Brown's contract. And, did you know, Brown and Colts speedster T.Y. Hilton were childhood friends while growing up in Miami's Liberty City? What a combo they could be for Andrew Luck — shades of Peyton Manning's heyday with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

New York Jets
    Like the Colts, they've got cap space to burn, so taking on Brown's deal isn't an issue. GM Mike Maccagnan also needs to start arming quarterback Sam Darnold with more weapons — just imagine dealing for Brown and signing Le'Veon Bell. And the Jets have historically loved stealing headlines from the Giants with major moves (that don't always pan out). But is Maccagnan ready to part with the No. 3 pick of the draft — at minimum probably — especially given this year's second rounder was already shipped to Ballard and the Colts in order to secure Darnold?

Oakland Raiders
    You may have heard they dealt Cooper to Dallas and now lack a bona fide No. 1 target in their pass game. You may have heard Jon Gruden and new GM Mike Mayock have five first-round picks spread over the next two drafts. Gruden and Mayock are also two guys with (scathing) senses of humor who appreciate talent — but either would also be more than willing to give Brown the tough love and straight talk he clearly needs sometimes. And, not for nothing, owner Mark Davis could use another attraction for a franchise that could be a traveling road show in 2019 before it settles in Vegas.

San Francisco 49ers
    Another team with ample cap space. Another team in dire need of a top wide receiver for Jimmy Garoppolo in a division that won't let anyone rests on their laurels. A team with a creative offensive coach, Kyle Shanahan, who could leverage Brown's game-breaking ability in numerous ways. And, not for nothing, blossoming Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle would clearly embrace the help and has already caught Brown's attention.
    Seattle Seahawks
    Speaking of NFC West arms races, what a tandem Brown and Russell Wilson might make. Coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider have a history of gambles — Marshawn Lynch, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham — and this would certainly represent another for an organization that just underwent a significant reboot of its locker room in favor of younger, more impressionable players. However this is a scenario where Seattle could theoretically offer a solid receiver in return — namely Doug Baldwin (Hines Ward 2.0 in Pittsburgh?) or Tyler Lockett — which could help offset the freight on draft pick compensation.

Washington Redskins
    Few organizations love splashy deals more. In this case, it would be justifiable with Josh Doctson's failure to flourish and Jamison Crowder's contract expiring. Only the Cardinals had a less potent passing offense in the NFC in 2018, though quarterback Alex Smith's style of play and subsequent leg injury were major factors in Washington's demise — as was the season-ending injury to Paul Richardson, whose career numbers cast doubt on his reliability anyway. Brown could solve a lot of problems here, but obtaining him would be putting the cart before the horse given the mystery surrounding Smith's status moving forward.

Business could be booming again in Pittsburgh — which just endured a massively disappointing campaign after opting not to pay Bell what he wanted — but the Steelers need to first initiate what would be yet another key business decision.

Follow Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis"

Steelers have so many upcoming free agents, a lot are needed to be released. Who should be re-signed?

FAs
    Le'veon Bell (gone)
    Stevan Ridley (gone)
    DHB (needs to go)
    Justin Hunter (re-sign 1 year)
    Eli Rogers (gone)
    Jesse James (re-sign)
    Ramon Foster (re-sign 1 year or gone)
    Tyson Alualu (re-sign)
    LT Walton (re-sign)
    Dan McCullers (gone)
    Ryan Shazier (injury agreement to stay on team)
    LJ Fort (re-sign)
    Anthony Chickillo (re-sign)
    Coty Sensabaugh (gone)
    Nat Berhe (gone)
    Jordan Berry (tough call..but gone)

RFAs
    BJ Finney (re-sign)
    Xavier Grimble (re-sign)

ERFAs
    Jake McGee (re-sign unless not healthy)
    Joseph Cheek (gone)
    Matt Feiler (re-sign)
    Keith Kelsey (gone)
    Mike Hilton (re-sign)
    Kameron Canaday (re-sign)
    Jordan Dangerfield (gone)
    Malik Golden (re-sign)
    With some glaring needs, here's some players I'd be interested in and be a good fit via free agency:

Golden Tate, WR
    Tyrell Williams, WR
    A.J. Cann, G
    Mike Iupati, G (if Foster is gone)
    Dee Ford, LB (upgrade over Dupree)
    Darqueze Dennard, CB (slight better than Burns)
    Ryan Allen, P

And now for the draft.

2019 draft picks
    Round 1: Pittsburgh
    Round 2: Pittsburgh
    Round 3: Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Pittsburgh
    Round 5: None
    Round 6: Pittsburgh, Oakland
    Round 7: Tampa Bay

Team needs: CB, LB, WR, OG, OT, DT, RB

Possible draft targets:

Deandre Baker, CB; Georgia (1st)
    Byron Murphy, CB; Washington (1st)
    Devin White, ILB, LSU (1st)
    Raekwan Davis, DT; Alabama (1st/2nd)
    Te'Von Coney, ILB; Notre Dame (2nd)
    D'Andre Walker, OLB; Georgia (3rd)
    Deebo Samuel, WR; SCAR (3rd)
    Hakeem Butler, WR; IowaSt (3rd)
    Rodney Anderson, RB; Oklahoma (4th)
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to respectfully ask a question -

Here are the needs you listed: CB, LB, WR, OG, OT, DT, RB

You want to re-sign James & Grimble. I'd be shocked if the Steelers cut McDonald (especially after he re-did his contract in August to help them this year to free up $2M in cap space).

But then you have a TE as your first round pick in the draft? What am I missing? I might cry if they drafted a TE in round one with all the needs on D.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A restraining order against Deebo.
    Giving Bell advice and now it looks like he's coaching AB.
    JH trying to sabotage the Steelers?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why does DHB need to go? Hes cheap, good on STs and a good blocker. Hunter is a training camp over achiever (his entire career) but doesnt actually do anything well at all.

Dee Ford going to be $$$$$

Banned

User Info Menu

We need to use free agency for at least one major acquisition in one of our areas of real need. And we need to hit on a couple of late round picks other then at WR.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'd like to respectfully ask a question -

Here are the needs you listed: CB, LB, WR, OG, OT, DT, RB

You want to re-sign James & Grimble. I'd be shocked if the Steelers cut McDonald (especially after he re-did his contract in August to help them this year to free up $2M in cap space).

But then you have a TE as your first round pick in the draft? What am I missing? I might cry if they drafted a TE in round one with all the needs on D.
    My mock draft was done on Sunday ...and haven't changed it yet. Sorry. I assumed Vance wasn't going anywhere but still need depth..which is why James and Grimble need to be re-signed
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is there risk of losing Vance? I love Vance

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Why does DHB need to go? Hes cheap, good on STs and a good blocker. Hunter is a training camp over achiever (his entire career) but doesnt actually do anything well at all.

Dee Ford going to be $$$$$
    Hunter and DHB fallen off the chart. I went with Hunter due to being younger.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We need to use free agency for at least one major acquisition in one of our areas of real need. And we need to hit on a couple of late round picks other then at WR.
    Dupree's replacement or an upgrade at corner.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We should bring up those Patrick Peterson trade rumors again....fitz a FA, their historical love for steeler players....could be a very natural swap