Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooney Now Signaling That AB Is Done

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Read a former agent talking saying that the Steelers could do things such as fine him, deduct game cheques, and even go after part of his signing bonus because of conduct detrimental. If the Steelers can recoup money and continue to suspend him without pay then they don't have to worry about him infecting the locker room.

If they put him on the shelf then they are in the driver seat in terms of getting value for him. Set a price and if nobody meets it then keep him suspended. Problem with that is how many teams lose interest in a player who went to such lengths to get out of town?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I wouldn't even go that far.
    There are many "great" receivers w/o HOF QBs.

Brady has never "made" a receiver "great".

I have no doubt Brown could be "great" elsewhere.......the guy he beat out goes to Pro Bowls as a Bronco.

My point is that great receivers have ZERO contributions to championships in recent years.

Teams that spend big on receivers and backs are spending foolishly.

We have been among those teams.
    I suspect signing Brown long term had as much to do with keeping Roethlisberger happy as it did to keep Brown.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Sanders wasn’t selected to the pro bowl. He’s an alternate thou. But he is good enough but you know why he wasn’t selected? Because his qb is a bum. That’s my point. A Wr is more or less an extension of the qb; unless your targeting that we 15 times a game; but any Wr numbers look good if he gets 15 targets a game.
    You know why he isn't being thrown to by a HOF QB?

He lost his spot to a guy drafted three rounds later in the same draft.

The fact that Brown is MUCH better than 2 time pro bowler Sanders is a proven fact.

Much better than Sanders is elite my friend.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sanders wasn’t selected to the pro bowl. He’s an alternate thou. But he is good enough but you know why he wasn’t selected? Because his qb is a bum. That’s my point. A Wr is more or less an extension of the qb; unless your targeting that we 15 times a game; but any Wr numbers look good if he gets 15 targets a game.
    In 2015 Deandre Hopkins finished with career highs in receptions (111), receiving yards (1,521), and touchdowns (11), despite playing with the following four different legendary quarterbacks:
    Hoyer, Mallett, Yates, and Weeden.

He has since been named 1st team All Pro the last two seasons.
    Only about half of those games featured Deshaun Watson.

That is just one example. I can list plenty of elite receiver play featuring lesser QBs than Ben.

And before you spew out "target" numbers, "targets" happen for a reason.
    Players get ton of targets because THEY ARE GREAT.

Hopkins was targeted a 163 times......you know how many drops? ZERO

Brown does not need Ben to be great. He is being a jerk but you gotta give the guy his due, he is a beast.

But Quarterbacks dont need elite receivers to be great either which IS the valid point.
    And elite QBs are the guys collecting rings NOT elite receivers like Brown, Hopkins, Julio, OBJ, Megatron, and Fitz & Moss, (only 2 recent elite receiver to get close)

Funny thing is Ben, Brady, Eli, and Warner played with the elite receivers on that list, have a ton of rings yet NONE with that list of elite receivers.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    even with that... At that point in their careers, 4th and whatever, i'm throwing to Hines, even in triple-coverage. He'd have gotten an offensive pass interference (and caught the ball) before he let anything else happen. i can't see how you trust Wallace on a short pass (not a deep ball) in that situation at that point in all their respective careers
    didn't hines get hurt in the AFCC?
    looking at the box score he wasn't targeted once. I'm trying to remeber how much he even played

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You know why he isn't being thrown to by a HOF QB?

He lost his spot to a guy drafted three rounds later in the same draft.

The fact that Brown is MUCH better than 2 time pro bowler Sanders is a proven fact.

Much better than Sanders is elite my friend.
    Oh, no debating that AB is better. But that wasn't the point. Sanders is an alternate because his QB is garbage. That was the point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In 2016 Deandre Hopkins finished with career highs in receptions (111), receiving yards (1,521), and touchdowns (11), despite playing with the following four different legendary quarterbacks:
    Hoyer, Mallett, Yates, and Weeden.
    Because ..again...he is targeted a zillion times a game. ANYBODY is going to have those stats if your the only WR the QB throws to. That doesn't mean your neccessarily good.

Look at Doug Baldwin; He doesn't see the targets that Hopkins does but he's a great WR none the less. That's what I"m talking about.

Legend

User Info Menu

Because ..again...he is targeted a zillion times a game. ANYBODY is going to have those stats if your the only WR the QB throws to. That doesn't mean your neccessarily good.

Look at Doug Baldwin; He doesn't see the targets that Hopkins does but he's a great WR none the less. That's what I"m talking about.
    Dude WHY does Hopkions get targeted so much? We are talking like 14 different QBs. It is not like he is ONE QBs favorite. EVERYBODY throws his way.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because he's been the only legit WR that team has had since AJ retired. That's why. Which is the same reason Sanders has the numbers he's had in Denver as of late because DT has turned old and there was no other legit WR's.