Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooney Now Signaling That AB Is Done

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    There IS a way back. Contrite public apology to teammates first, organization, Rooney, and Tomlin. Then a private meeting with a private apology to the same people. Brown has to undo the damage. Do I think he will? Probably not if he’s still not answering calls. I’m not convinced Brown can dig down deep and apologize with with some real remorse. Anything short of that, and he’s gone.
    Can you ever "trust" him again?
    Brown showed his true colors dude.
    This wasnt a mistake made in a moment.

It aint wife got drunk on a business trip and did something stupid.

It is wife flaunting an affair in your face with no concern for you whatsoever.
    Facetimes you from the room with the other dude and says she dont love you.

"IF" she apologizes later because staying with you might be in HER best interest (other guy dumps her) you cant trust her because she doesnt love you.
    If you take her back......you are weak and desperate, she owns you and knows you will put up with anything.
    Given opportunity she WILL do it again. She has shown her character already.

Brown is about Brown period.....above "team".

Taking him back not only enboldens him, it is a terrible signal to the team that if you have the talent......you have ZERO accountability.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-11-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

And for what it's worth, 3rd stringer Nick Mullens had a better passer rating this season than a number of starting QB's such as Jameis Winston, Matthew Stafford, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Lamar Jackson and Joe Flacco, Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    What Captain is saying is that HOF QBs tend to / can make WR better. It’s not a coincidence that we’ve had so many good wrs with Ben; Ben has made them good. Not to say Brown couldn’t thrive without Ben but part of the Greatness of Brown is Ben. And a lot of us will realize that after Brown goes and plays with a lesser QB.
    I wouldn't even go that far.
    There are many "great" receivers w/o HOF QBs.

Brady has never "made" a receiver "great".

I have no doubt Brown could be "great" elsewhere.......the guy he beat out goes to Pro Bowls as a Bronco.

My point is that great receivers have ZERO contributions to championships in recent years.

Teams that spend big on receivers and backs are spending foolishly.

We have been among those teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that this is excellent reasoning for not signing a big money WR.

I'm not sure it helps with the decision of whether we should cut a big money WR in the middle of his contract and absorb the cap hit from the large signing bonus.

I'd much rather have a great QB and a great D than a great QB / WR / RB. But cutting Brown (and letting Bell walk) wont net us talent on D. Now, we're going to lose Bell for nothing and we'll essentially pay to get rid of Brown. Maybe we get a good pick or two over the next few years, but I'm not sure that helps us before Ben leaves.

But, it looks like Bell and Brown are both pushing us into crappy decisions. At least Bell did it BEFORE we signed a big long term contract.
    I never suggested "cutting" Brown.
    We need to "trade" him for something that will bolster our defense.

Franchise QB plus defense is the formula.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    And for what it's worth, 3rd stringer Nick Mullens had a better passer rating this season than a number of starting QB's such as Jameis Winston, Matthew Stafford, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Lamar Jackson and Joe Flacco, Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen.
    I started to use Blake Bortles too; point being, a lesser qb makes AB a lesser threat. AB is the threat he is because Ben is so good.

Starter

User Info Menu

It appears that Mr. Brown has a response for Mr. Rooney...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...art-rooney-ii/
    On Thursday afternoon, Steelers owner Art Rooney II cast grave doubt (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/steelers-wont-release-antonio-brown-but-all-other-options-on-table/) on receiver Antonio Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown)‘s future in Pittsburgh. Later in the day, Brown had a response.
    It’s just not clear what his response means.

Brown tweeted a photo of himself with Rooney, shaking hands presumably on one of the days that one of Brown’s two long-term, big-money contracts was announced to the world. Brown adds this message to the photo: “Good Business #Boomin (https://twitter.com/AB84/status/108348985969886412.”

So . . . does he mean that good business had been done on the day of the photo? Or is he making a sarcastic comment regarding the wisdom of Rooney’s remarks? Or is Brown simply happy to possibly getting that which he may want: A one-way ticket out of town?

Whatever the message, Brown isn’t bashful about speaking his mind. Which, if the goal is to secure a trade, may be the key to getting what he wants.

Two observations:

1) It is getting harder and harder to see a path for reconciliation at this point
    2) If Brown truly does want to leave, He would be better served keeping his pie hole shut in order for the Steelers to get enough value.

Some will say that he really doesn't want to leave...but I don't think we are dealing with a master mind here. He isn't playing this out like Kaizer Soze. No this is all tweet before your think and ego on meth right now.

He isn't looking at the long game...he is Sonny Corleone driving on the Jersey toll rode not realizing the machine guns are about to come out.

IMO

brothervad

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I never suggested "cutting" Brown.
    We need to "trade" him for something that will bolster our defense.

Franchise QB plus defense is the formula.
    Sorry for the mistake.

We still get the dead money, and it still doesn't bring in an above average defender (maybe my assumption that we get picks back is wrong, but it seems rare to have player for player deals). Instead, I think it probably give us less flexibility to bring in the defensive talent I think we both want.

My understanding is that trading and keeping Brown is close to a wash on the salary cap (~ $1M savings).

So, I think the pure football part of the equation is do we want
    A) Whatever cap space we were set to have to bring in someone who might be able to get an interception on D; or
    B) Whatever cap space we were set to have + $1M cap space to bring in (i) someone who might be able to get an interception on D and (ii) someone to be a #2 WR (assuming JuJu moves up to 1).

Again, inside the lines, (A) seems far superior to (B) because we have more cap space to improve the D (assuming the new WR has > $1M cap hit) and both the D and the O get better.

But because AB is being a diva, it looks like we're being forced into (B). I think that means it's harder for us to make our D better and our O will get worse.

Maybe we're comfortable replacing AB with JuJu and JuJu with Washington, but Washington didn't look great last year and that makes two positions worse on O. Maybe that's not terrible if we can get McDonald into the O more often...when he's not hurt.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I started to use Blake Bortles too; point being, a lesser qb makes AB a lesser threat. AB is the threat he is because Ben is so good.
    Nah, Manny Sanders who Brown beat out handily is a probowl player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sanders wasn’t selected to the pro bowl. He’s an alternate thou. But he is good enough but you know why he wasn’t selected? Because his qb is a bum. That’s my point. A Wr is more or less an extension of the qb; unless your targeting that we 15 times a game; but any Wr numbers look good if he gets 15 targets a game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just reported on twitter that the broncos are one of the teams interested in AB.