Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooney Now Signaling That AB Is Done

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    And then you really won't have any value for AB. Buy low, sell high. Do I think AB is at his highest value? No.

But do I think he has reduced his value dramatically? No again.

You have to remember, most teams think that they have the secret formula to reach troubled athletes...especially the younger coaches that seem to be the fad to hiring right now.

And now you have a pretty big ego in Bruce Arians in TB spouting off that he doesn't believe in rebuilding.

So I think the time to pull the trigger is now. Not next year where he will be another year past 30 and have a potential meltdown.

brothervad

One final thing. The way Art II responded was not absolute in order to state, there is a way back...just not really certain how they get back there.

He is sending two messages IMO. One is that it isn't irreconcilable for AB to come back, but its going to be a hard path to take.
    The second message...hey folks we won't give the guy away for a cup of coffee and have kept the door open...but if you dazzle us, we will listen.
    There IS a way back. Contrite public apology to teammates first, organization, Rooney, and Tomlin. Then a private meeting with a private apology to the same people. Brown has to undo the damage. Do I think he will? Probably not if heís still not answering calls. Iím not convinced Brown can dig down deep and apologize with with some real remorse. Anything short of that, and heís gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    . Yes and no. Technically, nothing is forcing them. But, as I have said before, no organization can stand if they allow this kind of nonsense. No amount of talent should be allowed to abandon the team and disrespect the organization. He’s done. If they can only get a 4th for him, they will still move him much like Holmes.
    There is no way on Earth Antonio Brown gets traded for a 4th round pick, Steelers hold the cards in this situation and that's the point. Set aside whether or not you think Brown should be on the team, if a team offers a 4th round pick rest assured there are multiple teams prepared beat that offer, Brown's value will remain high because multiple teams want him. So the Steelers are in a position to accept the best offer or not trade and that is the ideal spot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Always said "Elite Receivers" are overrated. I think part of the reason is QBs get too dependent on them.

Whe a QB effectively spreads it around "Good" receivers are good enough.

Ben has two rings....NONE with Browns help.
    Megatron retires....Stafford has a career season
    Winningest QB EVER Tom Brady has a TON of rings......his ONLY GREAT RECEIVER EVER HOFer Randy Moss has NONE
    But the fact is Elite guys require double coverage sometimes triple coverage to stop, this opens up a lot opportunity for the offense, so just them being on the field puts the defense at a disadvantage. To think we wouldn't miss Antonio Brown is crazy, or that Juju is going to step right in and not only command double and triple teams but put up monster numbers against double and triple teams, is crazy.

Legend

User Info Menu

What Captain is saying is that HOF QBs tend to / can make WR better. It’s not a coincidence that we’ve had so many good wrs with Ben; Ben has made them good. Not to say Brown couldn’t thrive without Ben but part of the Greatness of Brown is Ben. And a lot of us will realize that after Brown goes and plays with a lesser QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    What Captain is saying is that HOF QBs tend to / can make WR better. It’s not a coincidence that we’ve had so many good wrs with Ben; Ben has made them good. Not to say Brown couldn’t thrive without Ben but part of the Greatness of Brown is Ben. And a lot of us will realize that after Brown goes and plays with a lesser QB.
    It doesn't matter Brown still puts the defense at a disadvantage, you can't play Antonio Brown 1-on-1 I don't care who the QB is. Brown being on the field doesn't just benefit Ben, it benefits Conner, Juju, Mcdonald, etc.....

Legend

User Info Menu

If Brown has Mullen’s ( 49er qb) as his qb, you can cover Brown one on one. Because the qb is garbage.

Legend

User Info Menu

In a lot of ways, the WR is just an extension of the qb.

Backup

User Info Menu

Why don't we simply do nothing. AB will continue to work out in the off season. He will not show up for camp or pre season. Come day game day he will show up in uniform under contract, receive any violation fines for missing camp and pre season games and be ready to play at the level BELL was when he reported. He will be back to game shape in just a few weeks.
    My point is, if he is a hit to the cap no matter what why bother doing anything with him? He may be high now but when it wears off and Pitt did nothing by next season I don't think he will pull a Bell and sit out. He will play and play well so other teams will see it. Just ignore it as if it was not even happening.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Only cuz Ben trusted Mike Wallace on 4th down in the SB instead of Hines or AB... oops.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Always said "Elite Receivers" are overrated. I think part of the reason is QBs get too dependent on them.

Whe a QB effectively spreads it around "Good" receivers are good enough.

Megatron retires....Stafford has a career season
    Winningest QB EVER Tom Brady has a TON of rings......his ONLY GREAT RECEIVER EVER HOFer Randy Moss has NONE
    I think that this is excellent reasoning for not signing a big money WR.

I'm not sure it helps with the decision of whether we should cut a big money WR in the middle of his contract and absorb the cap hit from the large signing bonus.

I'd much rather have a great QB and a great D than a great QB / WR / RB. But cutting Brown (and letting Bell walk) wont net us talent on D. Now, we're going to lose Bell for nothing and we'll essentially pay to get rid of Brown. Maybe we get a good pick or two over the next few years, but I'm not sure that helps us before Ben leaves.

But, it looks like Bell and Brown are both pushing us into crappy decisions. At least Bell did it BEFORE we signed a big long term contract.