Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Butler's positive exit meeting

Legend

User Info Menu

Awesome, more LBers on slot receivers and no interceptions.
    Cant wait for next year so we can continue to blame the lack of player talent....

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Cant wait for next year so we can continue to blame the lack of player talent....
    Pete, just sit back and enjoy the ride until the train derails again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Im not getting any younger bro....

Banned

User Info Menu

Hey, just enjoy the TBW make excuses for Tomlin; I do. Jump, tuck and roll out ( emotionally) when the vehicle is headed for the wall again. I did when we lost to the Raiders. Season was over. We lost control of our own destiny.

No point making a long term deep, deep emotional investment in this team until Tomlin is gone. They can’t win anything with him.

Legend

User Info Menu

a team without AB and bell next year will at least be an easy team to root for. most of those guys appear to be very solid... team oriented guys.. I figure if my dad and grandmother could make it through the 60s (Ernie Stauntner) era... and I could make it through the 80s... I'll somehow manage to get through the current down turn lol

Banned

User Info Menu

There you go; well out last Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I think that there are problems with the scheme (LBs on WRs) and problem with talent (no ints).

I also think that there are good things about the scheme (sacks). But, maybe sacks aren't as valuable as they used to be if it's easier for passing teams to get the yardage back in chunks? You'd still think that we'd get more strip sacks than we do...maybe a new OLB coach would help?

Either way, consistently putting LBs on WRs and not changing after getting burned all the time seems like a recipe for getting fired. I really think that the team must think that the sacks are worth it (because I don't see another potential argument for why he should stay).

At this point, I guess we're stuck hoping that we can infuse the secondary (and ILB and OLB) with some above average to elite talent and that a high sack number starts to pan out in terms of fumble generation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reasons for the non-firing of Butler:

1) Loyalty - the guy paid his dues waiting a long time behind LeBeau before given the chance
    2) Contract - the Steelers are not known for letting coaches (or players for that matter) go before their contract expires
    3) Tomlin - it may be the case that Butler was merely using a scheme and defense that Tomlin told him to use; how can you fire a guy for doing what he was told?
    4) Team - it may be the case that Colbert/Tomlin do not believe they defense is that far away from being really good; maybe only a piece or two is needed for them to return to greatness.
    5) NE - how do you fire a DC that finally put together a scheme that defeated their nemesis?

Those are the only things I can fathom why Butler is not gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Reasons for the non-firing of Butler:

1) Loyalty - the guy paid his dues waiting a long time behind LeBeau before given the chance
    2) Contract - the Steelers are not known for letting coaches (or players for that matter) go before their contract expires
    3) Tomlin - it may be the case that Butler was merely using a scheme and defense that Tomlin told him to use; how can you fire a guy for doing what he was told?
    4) Team - it may be the case that Colbert/Tomlin do not believe they defense is that far away from being really good; maybe only a piece or two is needed for them to return to greatness.
    5) NE - how do you fire a DC that finally put together a scheme that defeated their nemesis?

Those are the only things I can fathom why Butler is not gone.
    Well done. Good reasons on keeping him. As bad as the schemes looked at times, there were plays that were to blame because of talent , penalties, phanton PI calls, and potential turnovers that were lost.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that there are problems with the scheme (LBs on WRs) and problem with talent (no ints).

I also think that there are good things about the scheme (sacks). But, maybe sacks aren't as valuable as they used to be if it's easier for passing teams to get the yardage back in chunks? You'd still think that we'd get more strip sacks than we do...maybe a new OLB coach would help?

Either way, consistently putting LBs on WRs and not changing after getting burned all the time seems like a recipe for getting fired. I really think that the team must think that the sacks are worth it (because I don't see another potential argument for why he should stay).

At this point, I guess we're stuck hoping that we can infuse the secondary (and ILB and OLB) with some above average to elite talent and that a high sack number starts to pan out in terms of fumble generation.
    This is playing out perfectly.