Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Tomlin/Colber take note...playoff week 1 it's still defense that wins

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Tomlin/Roethlisberger argument is as old as the Belichick/Brady argument. Only difference is Belichick>Tomlin, and Brady>Roethlisberger....

who is successful because of whom.........????
    This is exactly what I'm trying to say. I don't see how anyone can know the effect of one on the other.

But, I do believe that the impact of a QB is more important than the HC in the vast majority of cases (with BB being the potential exception).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think our biggest issues is lack of talent on the D side of the ball and back luck in terms of turnovers and a kicker losing it.

There were coaching issues this year (particularly continuing to put a LB on a WR3), but I think their importance was dwarfed by the issues above.

I think you need to update your quote to "3 playoff wins and 3 1st round byes in 8 years".

If you count the byes as wins (because they advance through the wild card round), that's more than twice the number of wins as an average NFL team (11 playoff wins / year * 8 years / 32 teams = 2.75 expected wins in 8 years).

But, "Fire Mike Tomlin because he had 218% of the expected playoff wins over 8 years!" doesn't work as well as your (intentionally?) misleading quote. [edit : the math is a bit of here. Didn't realize the date range was cherry picked. I updated it on the next page.]
    If you are going to count byes as wins then you have to change the total # of playoff wins per year to 15 from 11 as 4 teams earn byes/wins.

Not adding to the Fire Tomlin / Retain Tomlin debate, just a bit of a math pragmatist.

Legend

User Info Menu

Itís worth noting that a 9-6-1 team would have made the playoffs in 5 of the last 10 seasons, so there too the Steelers were a tad unlucky.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    If you are going to count byes as wins then you have to change the total # of playoff wins per year to 15 from 11 as 4 teams earn byes/wins.

Not adding to the Fire Tomlin / Retain Tomlin debate, just a bit of a math pragmatist.
    Agreed that that would have been a better approach. But, I think that separating byes out (as in the later post) is probably less confusing.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-09-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    50=50... a coin flip.

Legend

User Info Menu

It’s worth noting that a 9-6-1 team would have made the playoffs in 5 of the last 10 seasons, so there too the Steelers were a tad unlucky.
    It's worth noting that:

The Ravens needed to win 6 of their last 7 games to sneak a half game ahead of us for the AFC North title.

AND

The Colts needed to win 9 of their last 10 games to sneak a half game ahead of us for the final wild card spot.
    Plan A: Trade 1.20/3.66/5.141 & 2020 3rd to BUF for 1.9 (ILB Devin White)

Plan B:
    1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa 6-5 251
    2.52 ILB Mack Wilson, Alabama 6-1 240
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich, Michigan 6-3 256
    3.83 WR Hakeem Butler, Iowa State 6-5 227
    4.122 ILB David Long, West Virginia 5-11 227
    5.141 RB Miles Sanders, Penn State 5-11 211
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair, Utah 6-1 195
    6.192 OG Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin 6-6 309
    6.207 CB David Long, Michigan 5-11 196
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins, Clemson 6-3 305

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It's worth noting that:

The Ravens needed to win 6 of their last 7 games to sneak a half game ahead of us for the AFC North title.

AND

The Colts needed to win 9 of their last 10 games to sneak a half game ahead of us for the final wild card spot.
    and we needed to lose 4 out of our last 6 to complete one of the worst meltdowns in team history

Legend

User Info Menu

With the season on the line, we lost to the Raiders. And lost control of our destiny. Nuff said.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 01-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    and we needed to lose 4 out of our last 6 to complete one of the worst meltdowns in team history
    All weird losses too. We outplayed both the Chargers and the Saints, but multiple obvious ridiculous calls by the refs in both games each resulted in long TD's for the opposition or critical 4th down conversions that extended the game. The Denver loss happened because we threw 2 picks, plus lost 2 fumbles, and our defense responded with 0 takeaways (you can't expect to beat any team in this league with a -4 turnover differential). The Oakland game was the first game that I did not see in over a decade (I was able to watch at least some of the first half live but none of the second half, and couldn't bring myself to go back and watch it after the fact), but it featured the bizarre decision to hold Ben out until the last drive of the game, plus it featured a couple of Boswell misses from 39 and 40 yards in a game that ended up being decided by 3 points.

Earlier in the year, we managed to tie Cleveland in spite of throwing 3 INT and losing 3 fumbles as well, and getting only 1 takeaway back (a -5 turnover differential in one game is mind-bogglingly bad), plus Boswell missed a potential game winning FG kick in OT. And against the Chiefs and Ravens, we fell behind in the those games 21-0 and 14-0 in the first quarters of those respective games, and although we were able to come back to tie each game by halftime, it seems that our play calling was off after having to play come-from-behind for so long in those games.

Odd, odd season.
    Plan A: Trade 1.20/3.66/5.141 & 2020 3rd to BUF for 1.9 (ILB Devin White)

Plan B:
    1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa 6-5 251
    2.52 ILB Mack Wilson, Alabama 6-1 240
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich, Michigan 6-3 256
    3.83 WR Hakeem Butler, Iowa State 6-5 227
    4.122 ILB David Long, West Virginia 5-11 227
    5.141 RB Miles Sanders, Penn State 5-11 211
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair, Utah 6-1 195
    6.192 OG Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin 6-6 309
    6.207 CB David Long, Michigan 5-11 196
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins, Clemson 6-3 305

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    All weird losses too. We outplayed both the Chargers and the Saints, but multiple obvious ridiculous calls by the refs in both games each resulted in long TD's for the opposition or critical 4th down conversions that extended the game. The Denver loss happened because we threw 2 picks, plus lost 2 fumbles, and our defense responded with 0 takeaways (you can't expect to beat any team in this league with a -4 turnover differential). The Oakland game was the first game that I did not see in over a decade (I was able to watch at least some of the first half live but none of the second half, and couldn't bring myself to go back and watch it after the fact), but it featured the bizarre decision to hold Ben out until the last drive of the game, plus it featured a couple of Boswell misses from 39 and 40 yards in a game that ended up being decided by 3 points.

Earlier in the year, we managed to tie Cleveland in spite of throwing 3 INT and losing 3 fumbles as well, and getting only 1 takeaway back (a -5 turnover differential in one game is mind-bogglingly bad), plus Boswell missed a potential game winning FG kick in OT. And against the Chiefs and Ravens, we fell behind in the those games 21-0 and 14-0 in the first quarters of those respective games, and although we were able to come back to tie each game by halftime, it seems that our play calling was off after having to play come-from-behind for so long in those games.

Odd, odd season.
    Yep. Maybe it's the price we pay for doing so well in close games for the 4 seasons before this one.

Hoping that the oddities get back to "normal" levels next season.