Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Tomlin/Colber take note...playoff week 1 it's still defense that wins

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    There is no exaggeration. Other then one year those are bad numbers

You constantly talk down to people who don't share your views; Just exchange ideas and move on.
    I am stating facts; 'bottom 6 almost every year...' by my count 2 out of six isn't "almost every year". Stop exaggerating.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think he meant bad luck with 'offensive turnovers'.

Maniac, you're exaggerating once again. The Steelers NFL rank in takeaways:

2018: 29th
    2017: 17th
    2016: 14th
    2015: 4th
    2014: 23rd
    2013: 28th
    This.

I would also have expected more strip sacks when we increased sacks from ~30 two years ago to ~50 the last two years.

I think the lack of picks is due to lack of secondary talent over coaching or scheme.

I also think the sack increase is probably mostly due to scheme since talent is mostly the same (added Watt, but lost Shazier).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Again, we’ve been talking about the lack of turnovers this defense has generated for years. A one year aberration means nothing. But if that gets you thru the night to feel better, so be it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is no exxageration...

3 playoff wins in 8 years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    There is no exxageration...

3 playoff wins in 8 years.
    I got the math wrong here, check below
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-08-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Changed the math because I didn't realize Maniac was cherry picking his range of dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Since we're repeating things and you seem to have missed this last time [edit math was wrong the first time, updated below]

I think you need to update your quote to "7 playoff wins and 3 1st round byes and 1 SB in 10 years". This goes for MT's full tenure inserted of your cherry picked range.

If you count the byes as wins (because they advance through the wild card round), that's almost three times the number of wins as an average NFL team (11 playoff wins / year * 10 years / 32 teams = 3.45 expected wins in 10 years).

But, "Fire Mike Tomlin because he had 290% of the expected playoff wins over 10 years!" doesn't work as well as your (intentionally?) misleading quote.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-08-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

its pretty sad when you see college secondaries like tonight make plays on the ball that our DBs never do

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    food for thought

defenses - top 5 in yards, top 6 in points are all done for the year

offenses - top 6 of 7 in points (steelers tied with other #6) are playing next week

not quite what the thread title is stating
    I was going to say the same thing, all your top defensive teams are out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Changed the math because I didn't realize Maniac was cherry picking his range of dates.
    I stand by what I said. Period. 3 playoff wins in 8 years. Now you trying to throw in byes ?? Please.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It seems that a couple of you guys can’t deal with the hard truth of Tomlin’s last eight year playoff record. So now your new trick is to try and soften it by saying the byes are a win??? Get out of here. The TBW are working overtime now!! Lol

Tomlin is like a kid who gets the letter grade B’s on the homework ( regular season games) then gets an “F” on the actual test (playoffs).

3 playoff wins in 8 years. Stop trying to make up stuff to soften it; with the teams we’ve had in those 8 years that’s underachievment. No way around it.