Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistically....what can we get for AB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Realistically....what can we get for AB?

Im curious on the collective opinions of what is AB's trade value

IMO he has not helped with his bad boy behavior. I know some have postured a starter ready player and a 1st, but i think that wont happen

Thoughts? Id like to see us get a young ILB who could replace Bostic or Williams plus a 3rd. I think that is likely a great deal

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO it would have to be a top ten 1st rounder in this years draft
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

A big freakin hit in the cap for the next couple of years
    Last edited by fordfixer; 01-06-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

AB will be 31 at the start of next season so his value is decreasing by the day since he’s obviously on the downside of his career now.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    A big freakin hit in the cap for the next couple of years
    This is not entirely the case. It depends mainly on how the trade/cut is handled. Way too many threads on this topic lol. I posted on one of the many threads on our favorite topic lately AB...

if you have some time you should read the article. The author is suggesting the Steelers shouldn't do it or rather it is out of character, but also alludes that it can be done.

Here is a link to an article about Brown/Steelers at Overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/the-steelers-...antonio-brown/

Here is a little (?) tease

Wait I read that they will save $15.2 million if they cut him and millions more in the future? What gives?

The $15.2 million is the amount of cash that the team saves this year if they release Brown in March. From a salary cap perspective this is money that is saved for the future though it is not realized this year. The best way to visualize this is to do a quick scenario analysis based on when the Steelers move on.
    Year Cap if Cut in 2019 Cap if Cut in 2020 Cap if cut in 2021
    2019 $21,120,000 $22,165,000 $22,165,000
    2020 $0 $14,080,000 $18,340,000
    2021 $0 $0 $7,040,000
    Total Cap $21,120,000 $36,245,000 $47,545,000
    Difference $0 $15,125,000 $26,425,000

As you can see they save $15.125 million by cutting him now versus 2020 and $26.425 million by cutting him now versus 2021.

This type of analysis makes plenty of sense when you are talking about an underperforming/declining player. If you have an 80% chance of cutting a player in 2020 you may as well just bite the bullet and do it now even if it looks bad on the cap. This is why decisions are made on players like Ndamukong Suh in Miami to cut now rather than later. It’s a strong argument for why the Giants should have moved on from Eli Manning this year.

Brown isn’t that type of player though. The odds of Brown being cut for football reasons in 2020 are very low so there is no need to accelerate the process nor any try benefit to it because he is worth the contract that he is being paid. If you are cutting Brown it’s because you think there is some irreparable damage between the organization and him that you can not fix. You aren’t going to give it a shot in 2019 only to cut him in 2020. Either the Steelers are in or out. This type of matrix should play no role in this particular decision.

Is the salary cap a concern at all for this move?

Yes and no. In general the salary cap is no longer a barrier for moves like this. Salaries have not kept up with the rising salary cap and teams have learned to work the system better to absorb cap hits like this one. The only true protection players have anymore are fully guaranteed salaries and teams pretty much only peg those to years of expected contributions.

That said it is still a ridiculous number. The highest one year cap charge we have is a $19.3 million cap charge for Peyton Manning in 2012 which was offset in part by the fact that the team declined an option on him. After Manning we are looking at Brock Osweiler at $16 million in 2017 and Jason Pierre-Paul in 2018 at $15 million. Ndamukong Suh had over $22 million in dead charges but they were split across two years and not a single season.
    To put things in perspective the Steelers have had a total of about $31 million in dead money combined across three seasons! This would be completely against their way of doing business to take on that kind of charge no matter how upset the player is. So the big number should give the Steelers a lot to consider for this season.
    Last edited by brothervad; 01-06-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The question is what are teams going to offer:

They should trade him to Jacksonville so he can suffer with bad QBs for a 3rd round pick.

In all seriousness I'm thinking he and LB wanna end up on the same team.
    NYJ or S.F.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I’d trade our headache ( Brown) for their headache ( Ramsey)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was thinking maybe try and work something with the cardinals.

they had 2 guys who were supposedly on the outs in reddick and buchanon

maybe 1 or both of them and the 1st pick of the 2nd

I think if he gets moved we can get a 1st and maybe a mid level player

Legend

User Info Menu

No matter how you spin it, our cap is crushed with AB or without.
    You cant absorb a $21 million cap hit and expect any where near the production he provides.
    He's not getting cut or released prior or after Jun1
    He won't be traded after Jun 1 so we arent rolling dead $$$ over to 2020.
    Theres only two options
    Work it out
    Trade him before the draft
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

AB to be traded by March. Please read....

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/steelers-expected-to-trade-antonio-brown-by-march?fv-home=true&post-id=128965