Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistically....what can we get for AB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel, it all speculation.
    Its all the same spiel with different authors.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Naaaaaw, the restructuring Ben for a reason. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. I think he’s gone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com tweets that one NFL GM believes Brown will not be traded and that the Steelers will be able to resolve their differences with him
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I see you Pete but I don’t think so. He punked Tomlin real bad. And he’s still not returning calls to Rooney or Tomlin. He’s teying to distance himself.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com tweets that one NFL GM believes Brown will not be traded and that the Steelers will be able to resolve their differences with him
    I agree with this...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I see you Pete but I donít think so. He punked Tomlin real bad. And heís still not returning calls to Rooney or Tomlin. Heís teying to distance himself.
    I have to agree Pete, I think there comes a point of no return. I think this thing has escalated to a point where it's going to be tough to come back from. Do you really think AB has the ability to show contrition?

Does the organization really think that there will be a 180 from 84? What happens next year when he is still double teamed and frustrated?

Pretty interesting web article at triblive on Thursday that outlines how the Steelers have options. The numbers are there from restructuring (Ben, Haden) and purging (Dupree).

There are others as well but some of them they won't be doing (like Tuitt at 3M and McDonald at $750k)

But here is a really interest example with regards to Ben's restructuring...

Roethlisberger has a $5 million roster bonus that could be turned into a signing bonus in his anticipated new contract.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...hit-on-antonio

brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hate for us to try to keep guys that quit on the team. AB could have cost us the playoffs.. time for him to go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    This is not entirely the case. It depends mainly on how the trade/cut is handled. Way too many threads on this topic lol. I posted on one of the many threads on our favorite topic lately AB...

if you have some time you should read the article. The author is suggesting the Steelers shouldn't do it or rather it is out of character, but also alludes that it can be done.

Here is a link to an article about Brown/Steelers at Overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/the-steelers-...antonio-brown/

Here is a little (?) tease

Wait I read that they will save $15.2 million if they cut him and millions more in the future? What gives?

The $15.2 million is the amount of cash that the team saves this year if they release Brown in March. From a salary cap perspective this is money that is saved for the future though it is not realized this year. The best way to visualize this is to do a quick scenario analysis based on when the Steelers move on.
    Year Cap if Cut in 2019 Cap if Cut in 2020 Cap if cut in 2021
    2019 $21,120,000 $22,165,000 $22,165,000
    2020 $0 $14,080,000 $18,340,000
    2021 $0 $0 $7,040,000
    Total Cap $21,120,000 $36,245,000 $47,545,000
    Difference $0 $15,125,000 $26,425,000

As you can see they save $15.125 million by cutting him now versus 2020 and $26.425 million by cutting him now versus 2021.

This type of analysis makes plenty of sense when you are talking about an underperforming/declining player. If you have an 80% chance of cutting a player in 2020 you may as well just bite the bullet and do it now even if it looks bad on the cap. This is why decisions are made on players like Ndamukong Suh in Miami to cut now rather than later. Itís a strong argument for why the Giants should have moved on from Eli Manning this year.

Brown isnít that type of player though. The odds of Brown being cut for football reasons in 2020 are very low so there is no need to accelerate the process nor any try benefit to it because he is worth the contract that he is being paid. If you are cutting Brown itís because you think there is some irreparable damage between the organization and him that you can not fix. You arenít going to give it a shot in 2019 only to cut him in 2020. Either the Steelers are in or out. This type of matrix should play no role in this particular decision.

Is the salary cap a concern at all for this move?

Yes and no. In general the salary cap is no longer a barrier for moves like this. Salaries have not kept up with the rising salary cap and teams have learned to work the system better to absorb cap hits like this one. The only true protection players have anymore are fully guaranteed salaries and teams pretty much only peg those to years of expected contributions.

That said it is still a ridiculous number. The highest one year cap charge we have is a $19.3 million cap charge for Peyton Manning in 2012 which was offset in part by the fact that the team declined an option on him. After Manning we are looking at Brock Osweiler at $16 million in 2017 and Jason Pierre-Paul in 2018 at $15 million. Ndamukong Suh had over $22 million in dead charges but they were split across two years and not a single season.
    To put things in perspective the Steelers have had a total of about $31 million in dead money combined across three seasons! This would be completely against their way of doing business to take on that kind of charge no matter how upset the player is. So the big number should give the Steelers a lot to consider for this season.
    Thanks fro the info bro

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    I have to agree Pete, I think there comes a point of no return. I think this thing has escalated to a point where it's going to be tough to come back from. Do you really think AB has the ability to show contrition?

Does the organization really think that there will be a 180 from 84? What happens next year when he is still double teamed and frustrated?

Pretty interesting web article at triblive on Thursday that outlines how the Steelers have options. The numbers are there from restructuring (Ben, Haden) and purging (Dupree).

There are others as well but some of them they won't be doing (like Tuitt at 3M and McDonald at $750k)

But here is a really interest example with regards to Ben's restructuring...

Roethlisberger has a $5 million roster bonus that could be turned into a signing bonus in his anticipated new contract.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...hit-on-antonio

brothervad
    I think there is only a slight chance they bring him back, and it would come at a great degree of contrition on Browns part. Which I don't see happening.

The team has a leadership problem and a locker room problem. If you believe some of the whispers from the inner circle, that is why Porter was let go- because he was fostering part of that locker room problem.

Anyway- Tomlin has to go iron fist, and a mouthy prima donna WR isn't going to jibe with that plan of action.

As far as, what can you get??

Well, I'd say a first and maybe a decent player, but the draft pick(s) will be dependent upon where the team drafts.

San Fran and Arizona aren't giving up the #1 or #2 pick. Maybe the Raiders or Browns who have multiple first round picks??

Anyway- lets hope it includes a serviceable sub package ILB or Corner.

Legend

User Info Menu

If they bring Brown back it would be under a very strict set of conditions for him to play. The big problem though, is if he violates any conditions, they are stuck with him on the roster and his salary. It's a much greater risk for the Steelers than it is for Brown.