Thread: Steelers expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's deal

Steelers expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's deal

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...lisberger-deal

Adam Schefter
    ESPN Senior Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger are expected to restructure and extend the veteran quarterback's deal before the new league year begins March 13, per league sources.

Roethlisberger's restructured contract would create salary-cap space and also make it more palatable to move on from Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown this offseason if that's the direction the Steelers decide to go.

Should Pittsburgh decide to trade Brown this offseason, it's going to need more salary-cap room to carry his $21.25 million in dead money, and one player who could provide it is Roethlisberger.But Roethlisberger is also headed into the last year of his contract, and the two sides typically have extended his deals in early March -- the first extension coming with two years left on his contract, the more recent one coming with one year remaining.

Now with the timing right, and the Steelers needing cap space, Roethlisberger is expected to give Pittsburgh an assist before the new league year begins.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Makes sense. Bye AB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Makes sense. Bye AB.
    Yes it does but the cap hit will still hamstring us in the one off season we were going to have significant cap space to mzke real improvement.

Still hope sanity prevails

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Still hope sanity prevails
    As do I. $21M hit would put a serious dent for any significant offseason moves.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I need to see it broken down... I keep reading that they can get the cap hit down to about 6 million....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I need to see it broken down... I keep reading that they can get the cap hit down to about 6 million....
    $7M in 2019 and $14M in 2020 if he’s traded after June. All would hit in 2019 if he’s traded before then. I’d guess the Steelers would prefer to move him before the draft in April.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

$7M in 2019 and $14M in 2020 if hes traded after June. All would hit in 2019 if hes traded before then. Id guess the Steelers would prefer to move him before the draft in April.
    That'd be fine by me. Time to move on.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As do I. $21M hit would put a serious dent for any significant offseason moves.

The fact that the cap savings is only 1M makes it almost a non-starter discussion, unless we can get something like two 1st rd picks, or maybe a 1 and a 2.

If the return isn't good - force him to play or to 'pull a Bell' and sit out. Or at least wait until after June 1st, reduce the cap hit, sign some talent this year, then trade him and hope it pays off in the future.

Starter

User Info Menu

So there has been stories circulating via Ed Bouchette that this is not a $21 million cap hit. I am not going to repost the link as I have already done so in other threads (as well as others I am sure).

However, even if the case above is true...they still are getting a 14.5 million cash back from the Leveon Bell dispute. This is not disputed.

Tweet by Chirs Mortensen today:
    Steelers have no issues with a $21 million dead cap hit on Antonio Brown if he is traded, as expected. The team will receive a $14.5 million cap credit back in 2019 for Le'Veon Bell that hasn't been calculated yet.

I know many of you suggest that money can be used to sign top notch FA/resign ours. Fact is we will still have a cap increase to do that -6.5 million hit that we would take if we purged AB in a trade.

Frankly, the LB situation may have made purging AB before March actually doable because they now have the ability to get a good trade, resign folks, sign some FA's (no big names likely just depth - it's the Steeler way so no need to shoot the messenger), and restructure deals to provide cap space.

I actually think this may be the best thing for the Steelers to do and its all because LB was a incredible douche.

So thanks LB!!!!

brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    The fact that the cap savings is only 1M makes it almost a non-starter discussion, unless we can get something like two 1st rd picks, or maybe a 1 and a 2.

If the return isn't good - force him to play or to 'pull a Bell' and sit out. Or at least wait until after June 1st, reduce the cap hit, sign some talent this year, then trade him and hope it pays off in the future.
    Yea... because everyone wants to see that drama unfold again next year lol

Im good with either scenario you provided though (which involves NOT keeping AB)....getting a 1 and a 2... or waiting until after June 1 to spread out the hit..