Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's deal

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

brothervad,
    Good post... and I know this is going to sound crazy... but I honestly think one of the biggest impact moves we can make is to draft a "1B" type of RB to go with Conner.... Roll with those 2 and Samuels...
    Balance out the offense so we are sustaining drives and eating up clock... Keeping the defense off the field.. Resign McDonald, James, and Grimble, and make them a bigger part of the passing attack.

We certainly need a few talent infusions in the secondary and linebacking corps...and I think they can still happen through the draft, AB trade, free agency....
    If we play our cards right, we will be a more balanced team, and one with certainly less "Locker room" issues.

Starter

User Info Menu

Here is a link to an article about Brown/Steelers at Overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/the-steelers-...antonio-brown/

Here is a little (?) tease

Wait I read that they will save $15.2 million if they cut him and millions more in the future? What gives?

The $15.2 million is the amount of cash that the team saves this year if they release Brown in March. From a salary cap perspective this is money that is saved for the future though it is not realized this year. The best way to visualize this is to do a quick scenario analysis based on when the Steelers move on.
    Year Cap if Cut in 2019 Cap if Cut in 2020 Cap if cut in 2021
    2019 $21,120,000 $22,165,000 $22,165,000
    2020 $0 $14,080,000 $18,340,000
    2021 $0 $0 $7,040,000
    Total Cap $21,120,000 $36,245,000 $47,545,000
    Difference $0 $15,125,000 $26,425,000

As you can see they save $15.125 million by cutting him now versus 2020 and $26.425 million by cutting him now versus 2021.

This type of analysis makes plenty of sense when you are talking about an underperforming/declining player. If you have an 80% chance of cutting a player in 2020 you may as well just bite the bullet and do it now even if it looks bad on the cap. This is why decisions are made on players like Ndamukong Suh in Miami to cut now rather than later. It’s a strong argument for why the Giants should have moved on from Eli Manning this year.

Brown isn’t that type of player though. The odds of Brown being cut for football reasons in 2020 are very low so there is no need to accelerate the process nor any try benefit to it because he is worth the contract that he is being paid. If you are cutting Brown it’s because you think there is some irreparable damage between the organization and him that you can not fix. You aren’t going to give it a shot in 2019 only to cut him in 2020. Either the Steelers are in or out. This type of matrix should play no role in this particular decision.

Is the salary cap a concern at all for this move?

Yes and no. In general the salary cap is no longer a barrier for moves like this. Salaries have not kept up with the rising salary cap and teams have learned to work the system better to absorb cap hits like this one. The only true protection players have anymore are fully guaranteed salaries and teams pretty much only peg those to years of expected contributions.

That said it is still a ridiculous number. The highest one year cap charge we have is a $19.3 million cap charge for Peyton Manning in 2012 which was offset in part by the fact that the team declined an option on him. After Manning we are looking at Brock Osweiler at $16 million in 2017 and Jason Pierre-Paul in 2018 at $15 million. Ndamukong Suh had over $22 million in dead charges but they were split across two years and not a single season.
    To put things in perspective the Steelers have had a total of about $31 million in dead money combined across three seasons! This would be completely against their way of doing business to take on that kind of charge no matter how upset the player is. So the big number should give the Steelers a lot to consider for this season.

What I am finding is that there are so much "SH - I-nformation -T" being spouted off by all the "Experts" that I really have no clue what the hell this will do.

brothervad
    Last edited by brothervad; 01-05-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We need Omar Khan (Steelers Capologist) to join the board and explain all this. Salary Cap for Dummies.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ernie, I was thinking the same. Go from a pass happy team ( boy did I like that 5 wr set we had going end of season) to a ball control power team. Add in another TE with McDonald, we can sort of mimic the Colts with Ebron and Doyle, with JuJu being our Hilton. And get nasty and fast on defense!
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes it does but the cap hit will still hamstring us in the one off season we were going to have significant cap space to mzke real improvement.

Still hope sanity prevails
    Yep. Not sure AB can be a grown up about it though

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    So there has been stories circulating via Ed Bouchette that this is not a $21 million cap hit. I am not going to repost the link as I have already done so in other threads (as well as others I am sure).

However, even if the case above is true...they still are getting a 14.5 million cash back from the Leveon Bell dispute. This is not disputed.

Tweet by Chirs Mortensen today:
    Steelers have no issues with a $21 million dead cap hit on Antonio Brown if he is traded, as expected. The team will receive a $14.5 million cap credit back in 2019 for Le'Veon Bell that hasn't been calculated yet.

I know many of you suggest that money can be used to sign top notch FA/resign ours. Fact is we will still have a cap increase to do that -6.5 million hit that we would take if we purged AB in a trade.

Frankly, the LB situation may have made purging AB before March actually doable because they now have the ability to get a good trade, resign folks, sign some FA's (no big names likely just depth - it's the Steeler way so no need to shoot the messenger), and restructure deals to provide cap space.

I actually think this may be the best thing for the Steelers to do and its all because LB was a incredible douche.

So thanks LB!!!!

brothervad
    It would suck if we're forced to use the extra cap room to make a new weakness by getting rid of one of our best players instead of fixing a current weakness.

But maybe that's just where we are.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Ernie, I was thinking the same. Go from a pass happy team ( boy did I like that 5 wr set we had going end of season) to a ball control power team. Add in another TE with McDonald, we can sort of mimic the Colts with Ebron and Doyle, with JuJu being our Hilton. And get nasty and fast on defense!
    I think the problem is the D.

We have two young RBs that have shown they can do a reasonable job.

We have big needs as ILB and in the secondary.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It would suck if we're forced to use the extra cap room to make a new weakness by getting rid of one of our best players instead of fixing a current weakness.

that's exactly where we are.. and we can come out of it superbowl contenders once again if we play our cards right

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the problem is the D.

We have two young RBs that have shown they can do a reasonable job.

We have big needs as ILB and in the secondary.
    no reason why we can't address all of our weaknesses if we trade AB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

but then again the locker room should be stronger...
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."