Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: AB Calls Ryan Clark an Uncle Tom

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Just because he’s faster doesn’t make him a better athelete or wide receiver. Dude do you know who jerry Rice got his workout regiment from? I’m going to stop; I keep forgetting most of you were in the crib when Jerry played.
    dude, trust me, i know. and exactly why i said eh was a damned hard worker. I was playing on some level or another throughout most of Jerry's career.

and AB certainly isn't a better WR, but, IMO, that's due to work ethic - not that AB doesn't work hard. But, Jerry outworked EVERYONE. I honestly think AB might have better physical tools. So, it depends on how you define "better athlete". Hershel Walker was better athlete than Jerome Bettis - but I'd choose Bettis as my RB every dang time.

Back to Jerry - i used to love to hear others talk about doing the workout with him. Ricky Watters tells one of my favorite stories. (This is totally from my memory, so it's accurate conceptually, but, the words are my recollection).

He joined Jerry for a workout (seems like after his rookie year where he broke 1000 yards). By then, Jerry was long in the tooth and Ricky was young.

Per Ricky, they started running up a mountain and Ricky's thinking something like, "man this is hard, but, I'm keeping up with him. I'm in good shape. I don't see why all these people talk about this workout."

Then, Jerry looks back over his shoulder and says, "GO" and disappeared up the mountain like a cheetah and left Ricky behind...
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 01-11-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    2019 NFL MockDeville
    1. Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama
    2. Deebo Samuel, WR, S.Carolina
    3. Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good...the kind of numbers that rice put up is because of the work ethic. Do you see that type of work ethic from Brown? Do you see that type of mental make up from Brown to be that dedicated in your opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good...the kind of numbers that rice put up is because of the work ethic. Do you see that type of work ethic from Brown? Do you see that type of mental make up from Brown to be that dedicated in your opinion.
    I don't know about work ethic but AB is ahead of Jerry Rice in yards after 130 games, 11,207 to 10,703 and catches 837 to 637 (this was surprising), JR is ahead in TDs 106 to 74. If AB can play with a quality quarterback after Ben he has a real chance at being the most prolific pass catcher in history. He won't catch him in TDs but the other marks could fall pending health and a quarterback. Amazingly, Jerry Rice played in 16 games 18 out of his 20 years in the league.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.28 Edmunds, Terrell, S, VA Tech
    2.60 Washington, James, WR, OSU
    3.76 Rudolph, Mason, QB, OSU
    3.92 Okorafor, Chukwuma, OT, W.Mich
    5.148 Allen, Marcus, S, PSU
    5.165 Samuels, Jaylen, RB, NC State
    7.246 Frazier, Joshua, DT, Alabama

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jerry Rice ... to play that well for that long -- flat amazing!

Wonder if he ever got in a huff with teammates? I sure don't think he ever quit on them. Unless AB has a major transformation of character, I sort of hope he doesn't catch Rice.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ABs mental shortcomings will be his downfall when it comes to being a serious threat to Rice's records.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That’s my point; AB doesn’t have it above the neck and most likely he isn’t going to have a quality qb to get him the ball like he was getting it in Pittsburgh. But... if we need to sell some hogwash like that to move him, by all means, do it!

Legend

User Info Menu

is that your measure? No one has Rices work ethic. But make no mistake AB is a more naturally gifted athlete and he is putting up numbers quicker than Rice. So there’s that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    is that your measure? No one has Rices work ethic. But make no mistake AB is a more naturally gifted athlete and he is putting up numbers quicker than Rice. So there’s that.
    I hear ya; but I think that as a wr gets older, it's less about talent and more about work ethic. IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

That’s my point; AB doesn’t have it above the neck and most likely he isn’t going to have a quality qb to get him the ball like he was getting it in Pittsburgh. But... if we need to sell some hogwash like that to move him, by all means, do it!
    Brown has skills that has nothing to do with who is throwing the ball.
    He has lead the league in yards of separation per catch. DESPITE constant double teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is his work ethic at Rice level? Don't know.

But Browns work ethic is reputed to be EASILY the best on the team.
    Some say the best in the league.

Sounds like at the very least the closest thing to Jerry Rice today.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...r-to-the-great

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-in-football/

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...sets-him-apart

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-witnesses-it/

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-ne...n-in-football/

His attitude is a different matter. He needs to go.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-12-2019 at 11:46 PM.