Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AB Problems, Steelers' Underachieving Because of Team Culture

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    Sure millennials require different handling, but there are plenty of coaches in the league who appear to be able to manage them just fine. Pete Carroll is the oldest coach in the league and he seems to have total control of his team and a grasp on what is needed to lead them. Same with McVay, Payton, Pederson, Harbaugh, and plenty of others - many of whom are coaching teams in the playoffs. 12 years in, Tomlin remains one of the youngest coaches in the league. Don't all these distractions and issues with player control point to his inability to lead and manage this demographic? Today Jesse James was quoted as referring to the Steelers as the Kardashian's. Sure millennials may require a different style of leadership, but at some point you adapt to that. I don't feel Tomlin has done so at all - he seems to busy trying to be "one of the guys".

I agree 100% with what you're saying here. I'd add that, with the millennial personality, if you give an inch and they smell weakness then they will proceed to take that proverbial mile. At least that's what I have observed and been taught in my updated management courses like the one's Oviendo referred to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    I agree 100% with what you're saying here. I'd add that, with the millennial personality, if you give an inch and they smell weakness then they will proceed to take that proverbial mile. At least that's what I have observed and been taught in my updated management courses like the one's Oviendo referred to.
    I don't think managing millennials is really all that different from managing everyone else.

Everyone's different and has their own strengths and needs and the more diversity you have as a team, the more you yourself will learn. I've always tried to hire people that are different than me and who will challenge me at every turn because I know what I think and how I feel so there's no reason to hire people that are like me. I've got that covered. So I guess in my world, I've been trying to hire millennial like personalities before millennials existed.

I will say the one thing that can drive a person nuts is when people question everything. But sometimes that's good too if you want to continually improve, so I take it in stride. I think to be a great manager in our current world, you have to be a great and patient teacher. But that's always been the case and why you will always see guys like Pete Carroll, Dick Lebeau or any old guy be able to easily be successful.

Millennials just help companies realize and weed out bad managers that they never noticed before.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just learned that Rooney Jr. called AB too and AB blew him off as well. This guy is crazy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't believe anyone on this board will disagree with anything said in those videos
    Read through the threads on this board ... there are several who do. Some don't believe Mike Tomlin has any culpability when it comes to the current mess; one doesn't even think (apparently) that there's such a thing as holding players accountable, or that that can be defined in any meaningful way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Been through the same generational management training as others. The contrast in groups is stark. It began quietly (and some might say insidiously) with schools system eliminating grades and replacing with 'Achieved' and 'Not Achieved'. It progressed further in kid sports with the 'everyone gets a trophy' leagues.
    Entitlement, getting stuff for free because 'why should we have to pay for it?' Require constant attention and feedback.

Here's a blurb:
    For some Millennials, they're content with selling their skills to the highest bidder. That means unlike Boomers, they're not as loyal. In most cases, they have no problem jumping from one organization to another.

That's not to say that you can't motivate this generation because you can by offering skills training, mentoring, feedback. Culture is also extremely important for Millennials.

They want to work in an environment where they can collaborate with others. Flexible schedules, time off, and embracing the latest technology to communicate are also important for Gen Y.

Guess AB just needed his time off.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this managing millennials BS is one if the dumbest red herrings i have ever seen

tomlin coaches a football team, not run google

some if you are nuts in the lengths you will go to cover for the fact that he might just not be so great at his job anymore
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 01-02-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    this managing millennials BS is one if the dumbest red herrings i have ever seen

tomlin coaches a football team, not run google

some if you are nuts in the lengths you will go to cover for the fact that he might just not be so great at his job anymore
    Spaghetti, not sure if you are talking from experience or simply airing an opinion. I've never coached kids beyond little league but have a buddy that coaches high school football. He says kids today are totally different than our generation. They have no problem getting in your face and calling you an MF'r etc. Why? Because they know you can't do a thing. They tell their parents, who will go all the way to the school board to make your life miserable. Who wants to coach in the environment?

And it ain't just the Steelers. How about this headline?

Jacksonville Jaguarsí Tom Coughlin rips running backs for sitting on the bench during blowout loss

Legend

User Info Menu

the very definition of a millennial... interesting you do not see the words 'obligations', 'dedication', 'loyalty':

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Read through the threads on this board ... there are several who do. Some don't believe Mike Tomlin has any culpability when it comes to the current mess; one doesn't even think (apparently) that there's such a thing as holding players accountable, or that that can be defined in any meaningful way.
    Yea... that was one of the most bizarre posts I've ever seen on here... and I've seen some dandies lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Been through the same generational management training as others. The contrast in groups is stark. It began quietly (and some might say insidiously) with schools system eliminating grades and replacing with 'Achieved' and 'Not Achieved'. It progressed further in kid sports with the 'everyone gets a trophy' leagues.
    Entitlement, getting stuff for free because 'why should we have to pay for it?' Require constant attention and feedback.

Here's a blurb:
    For some Millennials, they're content with selling their skills to the highest bidder. That means unlike Boomers, they're not as loyal. In most cases, they have no problem jumping from one organization to another.

That's not to say that you can't motivate this generation because you can by offering skills training, mentoring, feedback. Culture is also extremely important for Millennials.

They want to work in an environment where they can collaborate with others. Flexible schedules, time off, and embracing the latest technology to communicate are also important for Gen Y.

Guess AB just needed his time off.....
    That's a good point with the whole "Entitlement" concept. With that being said... in our case we are talking about NFL football players. Most of these guys have had to work their tails off to get to where they are at. They've been exposed to structure and discipline through HS football... College, and now the pros.
    I've also said the key to being a successful leader/coach etc is to understand that each person works differently in terms of motivation etc... The things you can say to T.J Watt etc to get him fired up and ready to play... might send guys like AB home crying. Im not saying you hold guys to a different standard... but its not a "One size all" in terms of motivating players etc...and it never has been regardless of generation IMO.