Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good article about the Steelers, what I've been saying

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good article about the Steelers, what I've been saying

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/paul-zeise/2018/12/31/ben-roethlisberger-steelers-playoffs-afc-antonio-brown-injury/stories/201812310098
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Browns-Ravens game was watched closely by people in these parts as the Steelers’ playoff fortunes were tied to the result. What people hopefully saw was that the AFC North is going to get much tougher in the coming years because those two teams are both led by dynamic rookie quarterbacks who are only likely to get better.

The Steelers, meanwhile, have missed the playoffs for the third time in seven seasons and are trending in the wrong direction. They have now gone six out of their last eight seasons either missing the playoffs or failing to win a playoff game. That should be enough to scare Art Rooney II and company into making some changes. The Steelers don’t necessarily need a complete housecleaning, but they definitely need to clean house. My colleague Joe Starkey explained what needs to change with the coaching staff.

Mike Tomlin’s lack of holding players accountable is a problem, as some of his stars seem to take advantage of him. That’s where some of the blame lies, but the Steelers also need more winning players and fewer players seemingly worried about everything else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers fans like to brag that the Steelers are nothing like the Patriots. I’d agree with that. The Patriots are champions and care only about winning while the Steelers are paper champions who talk a lot but seem to be worried about everything other than winning.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 12.31.18

There are just too many me-first players on the Steelers, and too many stars who point the finger everywhere else when things go wrong. Antonio Brown takes the brunt of the criticism regarding players who seem to be interested in all the other things, and rightfully so. He has brought it on himself and there aren’t many ways —based on his actions — to argue winning is his top priority.

But Ben Roethlisberger seems to be above much of the criticism, and that’s ridiculous. Roethlisberger was able to become the “gunslinger” who called his own number at will this season, and he put up huge numbers. He won the passing title (5,129 total yards), led the league in passing yards per game (320.6) and was fifth in touchdowns (34).

His apologists will tell you that he had a great season and was let down by the players around him, but Roethlisberger is as big of a reason the Steelers aren’t in the playoffs as he is the reason they were still alive on the last day of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s not forget that the old gunslinger, with his buddy “Coach Randy” calling plays, also led the league in interceptions with 16. That’s a statistic many of his apologists don’t want to talk about. They don’t want to talk about the number of times he killed drives because he wanted to “take shots down the field,” as opposed to making winning football plays. They all regurgitate the Roethlisberger company line about how he was shackled by Todd Haley. Guess what? That was probably the best thing for the Steelers.

Roethlisberger has had a great career, but the shine has come off it a little bit if you step back and take a look at the decade. The Steelers have won four division titles in the last 10 years and have made the playoffs six times, won five playoff games, advanced to the conference title game twice and made it to (and lost) a Super Bowl.

Let’s compare that run with the decade (1994-2003) before Roethlisberger became the starter, with Neil O’Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox playing quarterback. In that decade the Steelers won six division titles, won seven playoff games, made it to three conference title games and got to a Super Bowl (and lost).

Roethlisberger needs to be more consistent and stop worrying about being the gunslinger and worry more about playing winning football again. He and Brown aren’t the only two on this team who need to get focused on winning games, but they are the two highest-profile players — and the two players who have led the way in pointing fingers elsewhere.

Gene Collier

Gene Collier: Steelers take last exit before the playoff road narrows

The Steelers need to make changes this offseason, no doubt, but those changes need to start with a few attitudes.

Paul Zeise: pzeise@post-gazette.com and Twitter @PaulZeise
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So no one wants to comment because their hero is as much to blame.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    So no one wants to comment because their hero is as much to blame.
    You have no clue what a hero is. It’s not someone that’s gets paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    You have no clue what a hero is. It’s not someone that’s gets paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What does "hold players accountable" even mean and hold them accountable for what? So what if guys are me first, that doesn't change the fumbles and missed kicks to lose games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    What does "hold players accountable" even mean and hold them accountable for what? So what if guys are me first, that doesn't change the fumbles and missed kicks to lose games.
    Really?

Is there a Code of Conduct where you work? How bout Rules and Expectations? Also, is there a discipline policy in place for violating said policies?

When Tomlin says "The Standard is the Standard"... what exactly does he mean by that? lol

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    You're right, just let them do whatever they want ... don't get on them about attitudes & practice habits ... don't bring repercussions for committing dumb penalties, etc. ... let them be on their phones at halftime ... and at the end of a season like they've just had, dismiss them with a "that's the way the ball bounces" pep talk, so they go into the offseason thinking they played well, just caught a few bad breaks that kept them out of the playoffs (https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...rs-bengals-dk/). Leave them be all me-first and not team-focused. Because everyone knows in football, when you have your players pulling merely for themselves as individuals, you're going to be much more successful than if they play as a team. This whole notion of accountability is silly and certainly doesn't apply to today's NFL.
    Last edited by Buzz; 01-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Really?

Is there a Code of Conduct where you work? How bout Rules and Expectations? Also, is there a discipline policy in place for violating said policies?

When Tomlin says "The Standard is the Standard"... what exactly does he mean by that? lol
    I think if you've been following the Steelers for any length of time (and, I know you have), you know that is Tomlin's way of saying that regardless of who is the game, they expect that person to make plays and help the team win games.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.28 Edmunds, Terrell, S, VA Tech
    2.60 Washington, James, WR, OSU
    3.76 Rudolph, Mason, QB, OSU
    3.92 Okorafor, Chukwuma, OT, W.Mich
    5.148 Allen, Marcus, S, PSU
    5.165 Samuels, Jaylen, RB, NC State
    7.246 Frazier, Joshua, DT, Alabama

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You're right, just let them do whatever they want ... don't get on them about attitudes & practice habits ... don't bring repercussions for committing dumb penalties, etc. ... let them be on their phones at halftime ... and at the end of a season like they've just had, dismiss them with a "that's the way the ball bounces" pep talk, so they go into the offseason thinking they played well, just caught a few bad breaks that kept them out of the playoffs (https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...rs-bengals-dk/). Leave them be all me-first and not team-focused. Because everyone knows in football, when you have your players pulling merely for themselves as individuals, you're going to be much more successful than if they play as a team. This whole notion of accountability is silly and certainly doesn't apply to today's NFL.
    Who said there isn't a code of conduct or that players are doing whatever they want, nothing to do with what I asked. What does hold them accountable mean??????? And for what?????? Are you benching Antonio Brown for being a me first player when Juju fumbles the ball or when Boswell misses a kick? Saying "hold people accountable" is a nothing phrase there no substance behind it, what do you want Tomlin to do?