Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: To the 'Fire Tomlin Now' Crowd

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The million dollar question is how long that shot will last. Sure, new coach coming in, new schemes, could result in a few wins. But the Steelers organization is about stability and sustainability. If you don't buy into this approach you will probably continue to be disappointed as a fan.
    Its clear that the shot given to this team after Cowher left has worn off...lol.

And while we are on the subject of stability... tell that to the numerous OCs, DCs, and position coaches that have come and gone the last several years..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Its clear that the shot given to this team after Cowher left has worn off...lol.

And while we are on the subject of stability... tell that to the numerous OCs, DCs, and position coaches that have come and gone the last several years..
    You know full well the stability refers to the HC position. DCs, OCs, and assistants come and go with promotions, firings,etc. Been that way since at least the Noll era.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If "Stability" refers to the Head Coach... so should the lion's share of the responsibility... when they continually $hit to bed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What is continually "****ting the bed"? Are we continually having losing seasons? No. Are we continually missing the playoffs? No. Are we continually losing our division? No. Are we continually not making the Superbowl? Yes. If your saying that not making it to the Superbowl continually is ****ting the bed then I guess we are ****ting the bed along with the other 99.9% of the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

for starters.. how many other teams in the league do you know of that have 7 pro bowl caliber players on offense.. that miss the playoffs? I'll give you a more extended response later on (I'm going to bed).. but didnt want you to think I was going to let you slide on that one. See you next yr lol

Starter

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on what you'd call "In the mix"...

we were obviously on the outside looking in. We were never serious contenders after we began that colossal slide.
    I thought we controlled our own destiny until the NO loss. And I felt pretty good about that one until Juju's fumble.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought we were done (playoff berth or not) after we lost to Oakland. Best case scenario... we were a 4 seed... traveling to NE or KC. I felt there was no way we beat either of those teams if we lost to Oakland.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That's where Im at. Has nothing to do with Tomlin as a person. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... he appears to be an outstanding human being... and a heck of an ambassador for the NFL.
    IMO.. he just doesn't give us the best opportunity to win a SB... and I am ready to try to find that next guy.
    Do you feel the same way about Ben?

I've heard lots of people say that Tomlin can't win another SB. Presumably because of time management issues and coach's challenges (even though pretty much all important plays are auto-reviewed). Maybe also because Brown is a head case (who also happens to be amazing at football).

But, I think you can make at least as strong an argument for Ben never winning a SB again. Does anyone think he can go 4 games against the top teams in the league without having a 3 - 4 turnover game, or a pick six or two?

Personally, I think that they are both good enough to get there again. But, we'll need more lucky breaks that we did when Ben was on his rookie deal and we could spend more on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

I've heard lots of people say that Tomlin can't win another SB. Presumably because of time management issues and coach's challenges (even though pretty much all important plays are auto-reviewed). Maybe also because Brown is a head case (who also happens to be amazing at football).

But, I think you can make at least as strong an argument for Ben never winning a SB again. Does anyone think he can go 4 games against the top teams in the league without having a 3 - 4 turnover game, or a pick six or two?

Personally, I think that they are both good enough to get there again. But, we'll need more lucky breaks that we did when Ben was on his rookie deal and we could spend more on D.
    They need to change the offense from 68% passing to more in line with about 55% passing and that will help with the bad decisions, damaging INTs, etc. As I've said in other threads, I think Fichtner needs to rein in the offense, it's not like they don't have the ability to run the football.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.28 Edmunds, Terrell, S, VA Tech
    2.60 Washington, James, WR, OSU
    3.76 Rudolph, Mason, QB, OSU
    3.92 Okorafor, Chukwuma, OT, W.Mich
    5.148 Allen, Marcus, S, PSU
    5.165 Samuels, Jaylen, RB, NC State
    7.246 Frazier, Joshua, DT, Alabama

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Simple answer... NO... because Ben's issues came about as a direct result of coaching ie. Lack of Balance in the offense.