Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To the 'Fire Tomlin Now' Crowd

Legend

User Info Menu

To the 'Fire Tomlin Now' Crowd

Hypothetical question; assuming the Steelers make a change at HC, how many seasons does the new HC have to return the Steelers to the playoffs? How many to win the next Superbowl?

Given 'all the talent' on this team, we should expect they should be right back in the mix next season. If not, it would be a huge underachievement by this talented team with a HOF QB.

Waiting for cogent answers......

Legend

User Info Menu

Would it be any more of a disappointment/underachievement than this season has been?

and I guess another question I would ask is... were we truly "In the mix" that last 1/3 of this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Would it be any more of a disappointment/underachievement than this season has been?

and I guess another question I would ask is... were we truly "In the mix" that last 1/3 of this year?
    It could be. There will always be fans out with pitch forks when the Steelers don't live up to exceptions. Happens every year.

They were in the mix. They had a chance to make the playoffs up until the final game of the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on what you'd call "In the mix"...

we were obviously on the outside looking in. We were never serious contenders after we began that colossal slide.
    Last edited by Ernie; 12-31-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Hypothetical question; assuming the Steelers make a change at HC, how many seasons does the new HC have to return the Steelers to the playoffs? How many to win the next Superbowl?

Given 'all the talent' on this team, we should expect they should be right back in the mix next season. If not, it would be a huge underachievement by this talented team with a HOF QB.

Waiting for cogent answers......
    He should return the Steelers to the playoffs next year assuming we don't have a catastrophic injury to Brown or Ben. That's my expectation.

I'm not certain a new HC will win a SB before Ben retires so I would have to factor in our ability to get a franchise QB. A lot hinders on Ben's retirement and our ability to get a future franchise QB. Whether that is Rudolph or not remains to be seen.

Without a franchise QB, it's very difficult to get to the SB let alone win one. Tomlin has had one his entire HC career. That's one hell of a luxory.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He should return the Steelers to the playoffs next year assuming we don't have a catastrophic injury to Brown or Ben. That's my expectation.

I'm not certain a new HC will win a SB before Ben retires so I would have to factor in our ability to get a franchise QB. A lot hinders on Ben's retirement and our ability to get a future franchise QB. Whether that is Rudolph or not remains to be seen.

Without a franchise QB, it's very difficult to get to the SB let alone win one. Tomlin has had one his entire HC career. That's one hell of a luxory.
    Valid points steelz09. In response, I will say that Tomlin lost 1/3 of his offense when Bell decided not to show. But the team made adjustments. So losing AB would be roughly the equivalent of losing Bell this season. Expectations are high regardless of who is on the field.

btw, Tomlin returned the Steelers to the playoffs in his first season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

Well said.

Backup

User Info Menu

For this team, with the talent they have, the standard is/was AFC title game or better. The standard is not to lose to 2-14 teams with the season on the line. It's not to get humiliated in the first round of the playoffs. And it's certainly not to lose playoff games, at home, to guys like Blake Bortles and Tim Tebow

Banned

User Info Menu

ill answer, although you werent man enough to answer my question to you.
    we would be back next year barring major injury.
    a decllne until ben retires and a new qb can be drafted.
    i will have the same expectations of a new coach with a HOF qb, HOF wr, several all pro Olineman, and numerous 1st and second round draft picks on defense.
    i will be calling for his head when he underachieves for 7-8 years also. probably less. just like i was ready for cowher to go

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Valid points steelz09. In response, I will say that Tomlin lost 1/3 of his offense when Bell decided not to show. But the team made adjustments. So losing AB would be roughly the equivalent of losing Bell this season. Expectations are high regardless of who is on the field.

btw, Tomlin returned the Steelers to the playoffs in his first season.

a 1/3?................how is that?