Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Has To Be Fired.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    The fact is this: The Steelers have way too much talent to be 8-6-1!

Who's to blame for having the talent to win, but can't?

Being reported 10 players were on their cell phones at halftime vs Patriots.

Who's to blame for allowing nonsense in the locker room at halftime in a must win game?

Tomlin does just enough because he can coast with this talented team.

Who's to blame?
    Turnovers are mostly to blame. Coaches don't turn the ball over. Attempting to blame one person in a team sport isn't an accurate of fair assessment.

Only 3 teams are in the playoff race have a negative turnover ratio. The Steelers, Ravens, and Eagles. 2 of those 3 teams might not make the playoffs. The Steelers are fortunate to even have a chance to make the playoffs considering they are -10 in turnovers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heres a list of NFL coach of the year awards.
    Jusy saying, Tomlin never made the list.

2017 Sean McVay
    2016 Jason Garrett
    2015 Ron Rivera
    2014 Bruce Arians
    2013 Ron Rivera
    2012 Bruce Arians
    2011 Jim Harbaugh
    2010 Bill Belichick
    2009 Marvin Lewis
    2008 Mike Smith
    2007 Bill Belichick
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Heres a list of NFL coach of the year awards.
    Jusy saying, Tomlin never made the list.

2017 Sean McVay
    2016 Jason Garrett
    2015 Ron Rivera
    2014 Bruce Arians
    2013 Ron Rivera
    2012 Bruce Arians
    2011 Jim Harbaugh
    2010 Bill Belichick
    2009 Marvin Lewis
    2008 Mike Smith
    2007 Bill Belichick
    I donít think that says much with regard to Tomlin. Thereís a lot of coaches not on that list. And 2 of those years, we went to the super bowl.

I heard ALL of the same criticisms about Cowher until 2005. And now heís revered as a great coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Turnovers are mostly to blame. Coaches don't turn the ball over. Attempting to blame one person in a team sport isn't an accurate of fair assessment.

Only 3 teams are in the playoff race have a negative turnover ratio. The Steelers, Ravens, and Eagles. 2 of those 3 teams might not make the playoffs. The Steelers are fortunate to even have a chance to make the playoffs considering they are -10 in turnovers.
    ◊100000.

Couple this with the Steelers SOS being the toughest since 2015. That year they had Shazier, Gay, Harrison, and Timmons on defense. That defense had 17 INTs. They have 4 this season. This defense is just not that good to consistently beat the better teams in the league.

And btw, even with that defense they ended the season at 10-6.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 12-26-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Is rather win a SB too.

But it's nice not to write off seasons early in the year. I'm also a Leafs fan and it really sucks to have multiple decades of futity (for every team in the city) .

I wonder if fans in Pittsburgh really appreciate that.

Edited to add: we've had a decade with 1 SB win 1 SB loss and been consistently competitive and people aren't satisfied. So I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be happy in your case either.

Rereading your post, you said "a superbowl or two". So that pretty much exactly what we have had... Except it's been almost 11 years instead of a literal decade.
    Interestingly enough Northern, the whole Tomlin debate resembles the Raptors more than the Leafs. Duane Casey coached the Raptors from 2011-2018. He took over an awful team (22-60 the year before). From then on his regular season records were:
    23-43 (strike year)
    34-48
    48-34
    49-33
    56-26
    51-31
    59-23

The last five years of his tenure the team finished top four in the east and made the playoffs with a first round home court advantage. Every year but one was an improvement over the last. The team finished first in the East once and once second. An amazing re-birth for a disastrous franchise.

The downside? The five playoff years gave the team a playoff record of 21-30. They made the East Finals once. They regularly struggled against teams beneath them in the standings and players who were dominant during the season underachieved in the playoffs.

Who pays the price for those losses? Players or coaches? The Raptors let Casey - a beloved fan favorite - go after last season. What was good enough for the team in the early years was no longer acceptable after 5 playoff seasons. They also shipped out one of the teams iconic players, who also was the top underachiever in the post-season - Demar Derozan.

In both cases I say there are valid arguments to keep the coach. The are also very legitimate reasons to let the coach go. The biggest difference is that Tomlin coaches for a team who believes that once you find the right coach you keep him as long as you can. Remember, Neither Noll nor Cowher were fired. When did they last push a HC out? I personally don't see them firing Tomlin over this season. Not because he is black, not because of the Rooney rule, but because the team just doesn't believe that firing the coach is the answer.
    Last edited by steeler_fan_in_t.o.; 12-27-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yup. What most have been saying for quite awhile now. Thanks James for the brutal honesty and reality check some need. The truth hurts.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep... and I think Shannon and Skip were on point with their analysis also.

Legend

User Info Menu

Donít worry, Oviedo will come here and dismiss what Harrison said too. Oviedo says he knows more then all.. even guys whoíve actually played.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd love to see them bring Don Martindale in for an interview.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

Yup. What most have been saying for quite awhile now. Thanks James for the brutal honesty and reality check some need. The truth hurts.
    Harrison is a disgruntled former employee.
    Sharpe didn't play in the era of social media or free agency. Did Sharpe have a player lie to him about joining the team? Bell was the one bringing the media into his negotiations. .. rapping and all.
    It's Interesting how these guys filter things.