Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown, Conner, DeCastro, Heyward, Pouncey, and Villeneuva named to Pro Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm a huge Conner fan, but I believe JuJu was more deserving especially after Conner missing multiple games
    Conners is top 2 in the league in the league in rushing TDS, yards from scrimmage, 1st downs DESPITE missing 2 games. That makes him MORE deserving, not less.

Juju is not top 5 in ANY statistical category, the only one he is top 10 in is yardage DESPITE playing every game.

Dude is competing with other RECEIVERS not Conners. You can make a case for Juju over Allen I guess (if you didn’t see Allen DESTROY US a couple weeks ago).

But how is Conners LESS deserving because of Juju? Makes no sense

Legend

User Info Menu

We have averaged 10 less points per game without Conners than we scored with him.

We went from 19th to number 1 in red zone offense in one year with Conners on a franchise record pace for rushing touchdowns before he got hurt (he still only needs 2 to tie Franco’s Record 14).

I would suggest that WITHOUT QUESTION his contribution to finally fixing our teams biggest long standing offensive weakness a FAR stronger case for value to the team than Juju’s fine contributions.

(Plus Conners as team MVP would be yet another “dig” at “the greedy one who got away”. . )
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

AV should be a made for TV movie. Takes the path less taken and goes to West Point. Bounces around multiple positions. Graduates and fulfils his service obligation as an Army Ranger, one of the America's most elite soldiers. Multiple tours in combat. Earns Bronze Star for Valor.

Gets out of Army and returns to his dream of playing football. Can't make teams, bounces around multiple positions...then boom comes to Steelers and is put on Practice Squad and injury occurs and he is inserted into line up (a bit of Wally Pipp) and now makes two consecutive Pro Bowls.

You can't make that up.
    Yep I agree it’s a good story. Go Army

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm a huge Conner fan, but I believe JuJu was more deserving especially after Conner missing multiple games
    Multiple? Not to split hairs but 2 games is hardly "Multiple".
    and he's still 2nd in the AFC in rushing, despite missing those two games.

and if you want to look at the "Flip side" of that... Conner's path was more impressive than Juju's... seeing as how we've grown fond of throwing it 50+ times a game lately. Im not throwing shade at either of them. To do so is foolish to be honest.

Legend

User Info Menu

Does AV deserve the 2nd Pro Bowl nod? I like him and all, but I'm not convinced he's one of the best OTs in the league. But we don't give up sacks and he's a big part of our success.

But what about Foster? I think he's just as good a G as AV is a T. Neither is great imho, but I like them both. Probably 2 of my favorite players.

Just curious, does AV get more recognition because of his salute to the flag last year while his teammates stayed in the tunnel? I dunno. How do you really pick Olinemen for a ProBowl? Who has seriously watched and studied game tape of every linemen to truly compare?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Does AV deserve the 2nd Pro Bowl nod? I like him and all, but I'm not convinced he's one of the best OTs in the league. But we don't give up sacks and he's a big part of our success.

But what about Foster? I think he's just as good a G as AV is a T. Neither is great imho, but I like them both. Probably 2 of my favorite players.

Just curious, does AV get more recognition because of his salute to the flag last year while his teammates stayed in the tunnel? I dunno. How do you really pick Olinemen for a ProBowl? Who has seriously watched and studied game tape of every linemen to truly compare?
    Somebody

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

I think AV deserves it as much as any other LT. He plays the toughest OL position, usually every game against the opponents best pass rusher, on one of the best OLs in the league . He is solid in both run and pass play. I think it would be hard to empirically say someone else deserves it so much more

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We have averaged 10 less points per game without Conners than we scored with him.

We went from 19th to number 1 in red zone offense in one year with Conners on a franchise record pace for rushing touchdowns before he got hurt (he still only needs 2 to tie Franco’s Record 14).

I would suggest that WITHOUT QUESTION his contribution to finally fixing our teams biggest long standing offensive weakness a FAR stronger case for value to the team than Juju’s fine contributions.

(Plus Conners as team MVP would be yet another “dig” at “the greedy one who got away”. . )
    Some strong arguments here^

Legend

User Info Menu

James Conner shares the text Aaron Donald sent him after cancer diagnosis

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2018, 5:12 PM EST

In 2013, James Conner and Aaron Donald were college teammates at Pitt. On Tuesday, Conner and Donald were both named to the Pro Bowl. And Conner revealed a special moment in their friendship.

Conner was a true freshman when Donald was a star senior, so it would have been easy for Donald not to think much about Conner after their time together in college ended. But during the 2015 season, when Conner was a junior and Donald was in his second year with the Rams, Conner was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Donald offered support, and after they were both chosen to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday, Conner posted on Instagram the text Donald sent him after his cancer diagnosis.

“What’s up bro I just heard, just wanted to let you know I’m praying for you,” Donald wrote to Conner. “Everybody goes through adversity, some tougher than others but I already know you’re going to bounce back stronger and better than ever. I just can’t wait to see it. I’m going to be the first to tune in. You’re going to look back at this one day after about seven Pro Bowls and a couple All Pro years and see everything that’s happened to you is just going to make you stronger. It’s just going to make your story that much better. You already know if you need anything just hit me up and let me know. Keep your head up no matter what, stay strong.”

Conner wrote on Instagram, “Three years ago big bro Aaron Donald sent me this text after I got diagnosed with cancer. Today’s special because it’s all coming to reality. One Pro Bowl down, more to come. Thank you for the motivation bro. Hard work pays off!”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/james-conner-shares-the-text-aaron-donald-sent-him-after-cancer-diagnosis/
    Plan A: Trade 1.20/3.66/5.141 & 2020 3rd to BUF for 1.9 (ILB Devin White)

Plan B:
    1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa 6-5 251
    2.52 WR Hakeem Butler, Iowa State 6-5 227
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich, Michigan 6-3 256
    3.83 S Amani Hooker, Iowa 5-11 210
    4.122 ILB David Long Jr., West Virginia 5-11 227
    5.141 CB Isaiah Johnson, Houston 6-2 208
    6.175 ILB Bobby Okereke, Stanford 6-1 239
    6.192 RB Travis Homer, Miami 5-10 201
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt, Arkansas 6-5 306
    7.219 DE Armon Watts, Arkansas 6-5 300

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    James Conner shares the text Aaron Donald sent him after cancer diagnosis

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2018, 5:12 PM EST

In 2013, James Conner and Aaron Donald were college teammates at Pitt. On Tuesday, Conner and Donald were both named to the Pro Bowl. And Conner revealed a special moment in their friendship.

Conner was a true freshman when Donald was a star senior, so it would have been easy for Donald not to think much about Conner after their time together in college ended. But during the 2015 season, when Conner was a junior and Donald was in his second year with the Rams, Conner was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Donald offered support, and after they were both chosen to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday, Conner posted on Instagram the text Donald sent him after his cancer diagnosis.

“What’s up bro I just heard, just wanted to let you know I’m praying for you,” Donald wrote to Conner. “Everybody goes through adversity, some tougher than others but I already know you’re going to bounce back stronger and better than ever. I just can’t wait to see it. I’m going to be the first to tune in. You’re going to look back at this one day after about seven Pro Bowls and a couple All Pro years and see everything that’s happened to you is just going to make you stronger. It’s just going to make your story that much better. You already know if you need anything just hit me up and let me know. Keep your head up no matter what, stay strong.”

Conner wrote on Instagram, “Three years ago big bro Aaron Donald sent me this text after I got diagnosed with cancer. Today’s special because it’s all coming to reality. One Pro Bowl down, more to come. Thank you for the motivation bro. Hard work pays off!”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/james-conner-shares-the-text-aaron-donald-sent-him-after-cancer-diagnosis/
    I read this yesterday. Other than the fact that Aaron Donald obviously never took any composition or grammar courses it was a really touching gesture from someone who by all accounts is a high character guy