Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What’s Wrong With This Team?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Our O and our D are both great except for the turnovers.

We're currently tied for 25th in takeaways with 13 (5 teams worse than us).

That's not great because we're tied for 7th in giveaways with 21 (6 teams worse than us).

Our differential (- is tied for 27th (with Buffalo). There are 4 teams that are worse than us in differential:
    27. Buffalo (-. Record: 4 - 9
    27. Steelers (-. Record: 7 - 5 - 1
    29. Arizona (-9). Record: 3 - 10
    30. Jags (-10). Record: 4 - 9
    31. Tampa (-17) Record: 5 - 8
    32. San Fran (-21) Record: 3 - 10

I think it's actually kind of a good achievement to be as good as the Steelers are with such a terrible turnover ratio.
    ^^^THIS^^^^ is the difference between 10-3 or 11-2 and our current 7-5-1 record.....even so, we are in 1st in the division and have now made this next game the start of our playoffs.

Its gut check time. I love it!

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry Blitz i dont agree
    Please tell me you actually watch the games.
    If so you should still have a fresh memory of the last 2 games where the defense totally shlt the bed.
    You also might want to know we had 1 gimme takeaway in the last 4 games.
    This defense can't be counted on for anything.
    Take the 3rd down from the goaline yesterday when we blitzed at the end of the game and forced Carr to throw the ball away.
    The 4th down play we go all soft and gave him tons of time.
    Please tell me the last time one of our safeties made a play on a ball and broke up a pass?
    We have 6 INT's in 13 games but people want to say we're ranked #8 in the NFL...
    This defense stinks bad and nothing was done this year while they played games with Bell.
    Tomlin is always so confident that the next guy up can do the job, but he's only fooling himself as is evident by this season
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think we can reasonably complain that losing Shazier hurts the D as long as his contract counts against the salary cap.

After that, his absence has the same impact of missing on a 1st round pick in 2014. For context, we drafted J.Jones in 2013.
    This has nothing to do with Shazier and/or Bell.

This crap was happening when both were playing.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Our O and our D are both great except for the turnovers.

We're currently tied for 25th in takeaways with 13 (5 teams worse than us).

That's not great because we're tied for 7th in giveaways with 21 (6 teams worse than us).

Our differential (- is tied for 27th (with Buffalo). There are 4 teams that are worse than us in differential:
    27. Buffalo (-. Record: 4 - 9
    27. Steelers (-. Record: 7 - 5 - 1
    29. Arizona (-9). Record: 3 - 10
    30. Jags (-10). Record: 4 - 9
    31. Tampa (-17) Record: 5 - 8
    32. San Fran (-21) Record: 3 - 10

I think it's actually kind of a good achievement to be as good as the Steelers are with such a terrible turnover ratio.
    And Ben is the biggest culprit...With his one( minimum ) pick a game...Usually at crucial times..Because he STILL will just not yhrow the ball away, and live for another down

Administrator

User Info Menu

I stopped reading after "our O and our D is great"?

Our D is great? Are you watching the same games I am the past several years?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    This has nothing to do with Shazier and/or Bell.

This crap was happening when both were playing.
    Unfortunately there’s some truth too what you are saying.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

It’s not a talent problem.

Too many turnovers. Too many mistakes. Too many penalties. Too much distraction. Too little preparedness.

It’s a mental issue. Chadman has always supported Tomlin. Chadman supported Cowher. The last year under Cowher, things started to unravel. That is happening here. Tomlin is not a bad HC. Cowher wasn’t a bad HC.

Drafting has been somewhat hit & miss on ‘great success’ players. But the draft’s have not been horrible either.

Too many distractions though. From AB & the Instagram thing last year, to Blount & Bell getting busted, to Bryant getting busted, to Ben vs Haley, to Haley getting canned, Ben calling out players, Shazier’s injury, Dupree & VW trying to get ‘revenge’ on Bengals because of Shazier, Porter getting in the middle of Bengals players, Bell and his rubbish this year, Ben throwing increasing amounts of INT’s, Defensive players out of position, ILB’s covering WR’s, Boswell and the misses, Switzer not knowing the fair catch rules......the list goes on & on & on....penalties, OLinemen calling out Bell, JJ Wilcox & the repeated ST penalties....looking ahead to NE games...

These are the things that stop the Steelers.

They are playing as if talent alone will get them through. They play ‘entitled’, like they ‘deserve’ to be there.

How is this fixed? It might be too far gone. Obviously Tomlin has to take the brunt of the blame. But this attitude has seeped into the team ‘leaders’- Ben, AB, Ramon Foster, Pouncey, Bell etc.

The Steelers, in Chadman’s opinion, might be better served being less talented & more focused. You can’t sack Tomlin and expect things to be fixed. Every team has it’s prima donna players, it’s ‘drama’ players. But they are not generally the guys you lay the future in their hands.

Is Mason Rudolph the answer at QB? Hope so! You have to at least see. Connor looks the goods. Juju is a star. DeCastro, AV, Hayward, Watt- these all seem solid character guys. Tuitt & Hargreave. Fieler. McDonald & James.

Play focus needs adjusting. Attitude needs adjusting. Talent only needs minor upgrades in most areas.

How do you ‘fix’ the Steelers?

You rip the bandaid off.
    Early Addition Mock (3 Round Version)

Fix the Run Defence Mode:

1. DaRon Payne
    2. Josey Jewell
    3 Kerryon Johnson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm curious, after the Steelers scored with just under 3 minutes, how many you had a first thought of, hopefully there's enough time left for the O to score again after Oakland scores? I know I did. Sadly my first thought was the D won't be able to hold. I thought the Raiders scoring was a given.

During this three game streak - the Steelers defense has given up drives of 73, 75, 79, 79, and 64 yards in the 4th Q including 2 game winners. This is what's wrong with the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm curious, after the Steelers scored with just under 3 minutes, how many you had a first thought of, hopefully there's enough time left for the O to score again after Oakland scores? I know I did. Sadly my first thought was the D won't be able to hold. I thought the Raiders scoring was a given.

During this three game streak - the Steelers defense has given up drives of 73, 75, 79, 79, and 64 yards in the 4th Q including 2 game winners. This is what's wrong with the team.
    Yes to this. The defense can't close out games. Plays well but they haven't been able to get the kill shot at the end of games

Legend

User Info Menu

Listen..

I was listening to Travis Clay ( Fox Sports network) today and he had Mark Schlereth as a guest. Schlereth said that the Pittsburgh Steelers are an emotional immature team and have been that way for years.

Travis Clay asked Schlereth who does he take down the stretch to win the AFC North? Schlereth said , " I wouldn't take the Steelers to the nearest IHOP."