Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Mike Tomlin

Starter

User Info Menu

Northern Blitz,

Perhaps my thread was too long, but you have yet to address what you suggest the Steelers should do to correct the issue?

Are you suggesting everything is alright and it's a bad bounce here or there? Basically there is nothing the Steelers need to do.

I hate to say this but time is running out. Ben is 36 and has a lot of mileage on him. Perhaps he still has 1 to 2 seasons of excellent play left, but perhaps he is closer to the cliff that Eli Manning finds himself over today.

People have been spoiled here since 2004. Hell some don't remember the QB hell from Bradshaw to Ben Rothlisberger but let me remind you here and now:

Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone
    David Woodley
    Scott Campbell
    Bubby Brister
    Steve Bono
    Todd Blackledge
    Neil O'Donnell
    Jim Miller
    Mike Tomczak
    Kordell Stewart
    Kent Graham
    Tommy Maddox

And then 2004 the drought ended...with Big Ben. My point is it took 20 years to find a HOF QB. The window is closing. There are no guarantees of getting another franchise QB. Changes need to be made if the Steelers want to have a shot of going back to the Super Bowl.

So what say you NB?

thanks,
    brothervad
    Last edited by brothervad; 12-10-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Misery love company and I sure am feeling lonely. So I thoroughly enjoyed that and I usually can’t stand stephen a.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Northern Blitz,

Perhaps my thread was too long, but you have yet to address what you suggest the Steelers should do to correct the issue?

Are you suggesting everything is alright and it's a bad bounce here or there? Basically there is nothing the Steelers need to do.

I hate to say this but time is running out. Ben is 36 and has a lot of mileage on him. Perhaps he still has 1 to 2 seasons of excellent play left, but perhaps he is closer to the cliff that Eli Manning finds himself over today.

People have been spoiled here since 2004. Hell some don't remember the QB hell from Bradshaw to Ben Rothlisberger but let me remind you here and now:

Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone
    David Woodley
    Scott Campbell
    Bubby Brister
    Steve Bono
    Todd Blackledge
    Neil O'Donnell
    Jim Miller
    Mike Tomczak
    Kordell Stewart
    Kent Graham
    Tommy Maddox

And then 2004 the drought ended...with Big Ben. My point is it took 20 years to find a HOF QB. The window is closing. There are no guarantees of getting another franchise QB. Changes need to be made if the Steelers want to have a shot of going back to the Super Bowl.

So what say you NB?

thanks,
    brothervad
    Brothervad, he has no logical answer. he just wants to hold on to Tomlin as the ship goes down. He's like the band on the Titanic, just keep playing as the ship sinks in the ocean.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Northern Blitz,

Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone
    Bubby Brister
    Neil O'Donnell
    Mike Tomczak
    Kordell Stewart
    Tommy Maddox

So what say you NB?

thanks,
    brothervad
    My guess is that there isn't anything we can do to have an excellent chance at winning the SB while Ben is still here.

I would probably fire Butler (and Porter) and try to find the best replacements I could in the off season.

I would also do just about anything I could to get impact defenders at LB and in the secondary.

Then I'd hote we could get better learning a new scheme with new players in season so that we were peaking at the right time. Tomlin has shown an ability to do this fairky well (present season excluded). Small sample playoff runs are more luck based than regular seasons, so I'd hope for a few lucky breaks in the playoffs (like our first SB win with Ben).

I wish I had a more positive outlook for the near future, but I think missing on a few early picks on D and the Shazier injury really screwed the near future. I personally don't think we will be able to have the talent on D to be favorites to win.

So, I would also to listen to offers on Ben to see if I could give him the Joe Montana treatment and Kickstart the rebuild.

I think the best way to be a dominant team in the NFL is to have a very Good QB on a rookie deal. If we don't think we can turn it around on D in one year, maybe that's the best way forward (although it would be disappointing not to have gotten another win with Ben)

How do you think firing Tomlin makes our issue (no elite taleny on D and too many turnovers particularly by a HoF QB that makes some absolutely terrible ints) any better?

I don't think firing Tomlin gives any better shot at getting elite talent or reduces the frequency of Ben's brain farts.

I do think firing him means we're likely to get a HC that makes more frequent mistakes than Tomlin.

This is different than saying everything is perfect the way it is.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 12-10-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Unless the Steelers break character and go out and spend on a big free agent; I don't believe there is anyway they can fix this secondary. Burns is done here and has been passed by guys who should be playing in the Arena league. They are regressing as the year goes on instead of finding their groove and getting better as a team. Would the team spend on a FA like Eric Rowe or Bradley Roby at the CB position or Landon Collins or HaHa Clinton-Dix at Safety (safety hasn't been much better than CB)?

If they believe they have the players necessary to run the schemes than prepare to be frustrated all next season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Unless the Steelers break character and go out and spend on a big free agent; I don't believe there is anyway they can fix this secondary. Burns is done here and has been passed by guys who should be playing in the Arena league. They are regressing as the year goes on instead of finding their groove and getting better as a team. Would the team spend on a FA like Eric Rowe or Bradley Roby at the CB position or Landon Collins or HaHa Clinton-Dix at Safety (safety hasn't been much better than CB)?

If they believe they have the players necessary to run the schemes than prepare to be frustrated all next season.
    You need to do like me and emotionally divest from this team and get back on board emotionally after Tomlin is let go. Let the Tomlin lovers continue to ride into a brick wall with Tomlin; you , me and the other few can get out the car and just let Tomlin crash and burn by himself. And we can continually do that until we get a new head coach. No sense in getting lathered up when we know he's never going to win anything. Just enjoy the ride; then jump, tuck and roll out the vehicle as Tomlin crashes. LOL

Gotta find some humor in this sad state of affairs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that there isn't anything we can do to have an excellent chance at winning the SB while Ben is still here.

I would probably fire Butler (and Porter) and try to find the best replacements I could in the off season.

I would also do just about anything I could to get impact defenders at LB and in the secondary.

Then I'd hote we could get better learning a new scheme with new players in season so that we were peaking at the right time. Tomlin has shown an ability to do this fairky well (present season excluded). Small sample playoff runs are more luck based than regular seasons, so I'd hope for a few lucky breaks in the playoffs (like our first SB win with Ben).

I wish I had a more positive outlook for the near future, but I think missing on a few early picks on D and the Shazier injury really screwed the near future. I personally don't think we will be able to have the talent on D to be favorites to win.

So, I would also to listen to offers on Ben to see if I could give him the Joe Montana treatment and Kickstart the rebuild.

I think the best way to be a dominant team in the NFL is to have a very Good QB on a rookie deal. If we don't think we can turn it around on D in one year, maybe that's the best way forward (although it would be disappointing not to have gotten another win with Ben)

How do you think firing Tomlin makes our issue (no elite taleny on D and too many turnovers particularly by a HoF QB that makes some absolutely terrible ints) any better?

I don't think firing Tomlin gives any better shot at getting elite talent or reduces the frequency of Ben's brain farts.

I do think firing him means we're likely to get a HC that makes more frequent mistakes than Tomlin.

This is different than saying everything is perfect the way it is.

really?....lol
    so firing butler and porter..........how can you guarantee we will hire someone better?
    tomlin had a chance to get a lb and db last off season and chose not to.
    how does tomlin go about all od a sudden be better at learning new schemes? its his scheme and he cant get the players to understand it......for years now
    missed on picks?......who made those picks? do you suggest tomlin not be allowed in the draft process?
    so you want tomlin to get rid of the one player that has covered up his inability to coach all this talent up?....even tomlin isnt that stupid.
    the main problem with this team is attitude.......and that comes directly from the HC
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every post season.........lol, tomlin didnt even wait for the post season this year

Administrator

User Info Menu

I wasn't upset at the loss yesterday because quite honestly, I was prepared for it. I'm not shocked that we lost to the Raiders who are easily the worst team in the NFL. The standard is the standard and Tomlin defined it.

We've seen it before and we'll see it again. It's a broken record.

If we make the playoffs and that's a BIG "if", I don't see us getting past the 1st round.

One and done.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

NB,

I appreciate you providing your well thought out opinion of where the Steelers are at and what you think they should do. However, let me point out that some would attack/question your approach of trading away a franchise QB ala Montana as a complete rebuild and find that also a knee-jerk reaction not founded in practical/logical execution.

Just as you are suggesting those who want to rid themselves of Coach Tomlin.

In a nutshell, you are suggesting that find a good/great head coach is harder than finding a good QB (on his first contract). I apologize if it sounds like I am putting words in your text box, however, by saying given the circumstance you would keep Tomlin and not Ben because of all the holes...you are suggesting that approach.

Let me profess to you that I do think the Rooney family has a pretty good track record at finding the right head coach. 30 years of success is the sample data I can point to.

In that same 30 year period of time I just showed you that amount of times the franchise has picked a good/great QB. it happened twice 1969/2004. they are 2-15 at picking good/great QB's (13% success rate).

On head coaches (3/3 100%).

So if you ask me...I think they have less risk in getting rid of this head coach and hiring his replacement...than trading there HOF QB and rebuilding.

Furthermore, given Tomlin/Colbert track record of failed d-picks especially in the secondary, I have little faith in their ability at this point of rebuilding this defense.

Again, I do appreciate you providing your counterpoint, but I do think to suggest that others who are on the negative of Tomlin are coming from a knee jerk opinion

Regards,
    brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

They got a lot of cash leftover from LB.