Thread: Black and Gold vs. Silver and Black

Legend

User Info Menu

Black and Gold vs. Silver and Black

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 04:15 PM

Week 14 Injury Report (Raiders)
    Teresa Varley
    STEELERS.COM

The Steelers began their week of preparation for Sunday’s game against the Oakland Raiders knowing one thing for sure. They won’t have running back James Conner available.

Coach Mike Tomlin has already ruled Conner out with an ankle sprain that he said, “Is probably a little more significant than we initially thought.” After the Chargers game it was believed to have been a contusion, but the sprain is something that will keep him sidelined this week.

The team will rely on Jaylen Samuels, who said he expects to start, and Stevan Ridley on Sunday. Trey Edmunds, who was signed off the team’s practice squad on Tuesday, is also available.

“Ridley is a guy that has been around the league for a while,” said Ben Roethlisberger. “He has some NFL experience. He has been here for a little bit now. Samuels is someone who is new to the game, big body guy that we use in the passing game. We have specific plays and packages with him in because we want to throw the ball.

“It will be interesting to see how they want to use both of them going forward. I think it will be good for everyone to get some reps and keep each other fresh.”

Kameron Canaday, who suffered a knee injury against the Chargers but returned to action, was a full participant in practice on Wednesday. Canaday is breathing a sigh of relief after thinking the worst, fearing his career could be over with a serious knee injury.

“Everything slows down really quickly,” said Canaday. “I started thinking about all of my hopes and dreams unfolding. The worst part is the unknown. You go to the doctor and they are evaluating your knee. They don’t know what is going on, you don’t know what is going on. I know I heard a pop.”

Roosevelt Nix was a full go in practice with a shoulder injury, and Morgan Burnett returned after missing last week with a back injury and was a full go. Ryan Switzer, who was in the concussion protocol, also was a full participant.

“Part of getting out of the protocol is physical labor, so he’ll be given an opportunity to do some of those things,” said Tomlin during his weekly press conference. “We’re optimistic about his inclusion, but we’ll let that process run its course.”

Anthony Chickillo, who injured his ankle in the game, did not practice. Marcus Gilbert, who missed the last six games with a knee injury, is still sidelined and didn’t practice.

In addition, Maurkice Pouncey, Antonio Brown and Joe Haden didn't practice, all a coach's decision to give them the day off.

The full practice report is below.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 14

Wednesday, December 5
    WR Ryan Switzer (Concussion) - Full
    CB Joe Haden (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    RB James Conner (Ankle) - DNP
    S Morgan Burnett (Back) - Full
    FB Roosevelt Nix (Shoulder) - Full
    C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle) - DNP
    LS Cameron Canaday (Knee) - Full
    OT Marcus Gilbert (Knee) - DNP
    WR Antonio Brown (Coach's Decision) - DNP

Oakland Raiders Participation/Injury Report, Week 14

Wednesday, December 5
    C Rodney Hudson (Ankle/Knee) - Limited
    DT Maurice Hurst (Ankle) - Limited
    G Gabe Jackson (Knee/Ankle) - Limited
    DE Arden Key (Knee) - Limited
    RB Doug Martin (Knee) - Full
    WR Jordy Nelson (Foot) - Full
    G/T Kelechi Osemele (Toe) - Limited
    DT Frostee Rucker (Neck) - Limited
    LB Kyle Wilber (Hamstring) - DNP
    CB Daryl Worley (Shoulder) - Limited
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we are seeing the beginning of the end for Gilbert. Don't see how or why the Steelers would re-up on his contract unless it was extremely team friendly.... i.e. cheap.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cutting Gilbert next year results in a $4,915,103 savings.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger: Playing in Oakland an “awesome challenge”
    By Josh Alper | Dec 5, 2018, 12:33 PM EST

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is set to play in Oakland for the fourth time in his career on Sunday and he’ll be looking for a different result than the first three trips.

Roethlisberger’s been on the losing side each time he’s faced the Raiders on the road and says it isn’t “an easy place to play.” This year’s Raiders team may be 2-10, but Roethlisberger still feels that winning this weekend will be an “awesome challenge” for the team.

“The environment, the team, the travel. A little bit of everything,” Roethlisberger said. “I have been doing it for a while and have heard other people talk about it. Whether you are going to the elevation in Denver or going to the West Coast, I have heard people say if it’s under 24 hours it doesn’t affect your body. We’ve always gone the same time since I have been here. This year we are going earlier in the day. I guess we are trying something different.”

After two straight losses, failing to rise to the “awesome challenge” this weekend would leave the Steelers in an increasingly precarious position in terms of making it to the postseason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Raiders have always been up to the task everytime we come to Oakland. I think our saving grace is that Gruden wants to lose to keep a hold of that first pick in the draft. Hope he benches Doug Martin like he did a couple of weeks ago ; trying to force them to tank.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I notice that Ben is not on the report which means he practiced Wednesday. That differs from their normal routine.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I think our saving grace is that Gruden wants to lose to keep a hold of that first pick in the draft
    Which would make it even worse if we somehow lose this game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 04:05 PM

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The Steelers practiced outside at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex on Thursday as they prep for Sunday afternoon’s game against the Oakland Raiders.

As noted during Coach Mike Tomlin’s weekly press conference, James Conner has already been ruled out with an ankle injury, with the running back duties being placed into the hands of Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley.

“Just being in there every day with those guys, I’m getting reps, more reps and practice reps, I’m getting way more comfortable,” said Samuels.

Kameron Canaday, who suffered a knee injury against the Chargers but returned to action, was a full participant in practice for the second straight day. Canaday said when he went back into the game he made sure he stayed focused on the task at hand and didn’t think about the injury or anything else.

“My rookie year (in Arizona) I got banged up in the Buffalo game and lost my mind,” said Canaday. “I didn’t think I could snap, I went in there, had a bad snap, and I got cut.

“This time I went out there and it was one of those things where it was mind over matter. You focus, get the job done the best you can.”

It appears Morgan Burnett is on track to return to the field this week, after missing the Chargers game with a back injury. Burnett was a full participant for the second straight day and is happy to be back out there with his teammates.

“It feels good,” said Burnett. “Any time you have an opportunity to get reps and work on your craft, it’s a good thing.

“Missing time is tough. It’s part of the territory. The only thing I can keep doing is keep working, keep grinding, don’t let that get to me mentally. Keep my head down and keep focusing on trying to get better. I just take it one day at a time.”

Roosevelt Nix was a full go in practice with a shoulder injury, as was Ryan Switzer, who was in the concussion protocol.

Anthony Chickillo, who injured his ankle against the Chargers, did not practice. Marcus Gilbert, who missed the last six games with a knee injury, is still sidelined and didn’t practice. Ramon Foster also sat out, a coach’s decision for a normal veteran day off.

Thursday, December 6
    OG Ramon Foster (Coach's Decision) - DNP

Wednesday, December 5

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-14-injury-report-raiders

Legend

User Info Menu

Friday, Dec 07, 2018 03:15 PM

Teresa Varley
    STEELERS.COM

The Steelers will go into Sunday’s game against the Raiders at Oakland Coliseum without a few players, but the next man up mentality will definitely be in full effect.
    James Conner, who has 201 carries for 909 yards and 12 touchdowns on the season, will be sidelined with an ankle sprain suffered last week against the Chargers. Rookie Jaylen Samuels and veteran Stevan Ridley will carry the load, and both will be ready when called upon.

“It doesn’t really matter when it is I go in,” said Ridley. “I’m just trying to be stretched, loose and ready to go out there and produce.”

Also out this week is tackle Marcus Gilbert, set to miss his seventh game with a knee injury. With Gilbert out Matt Feiler has shown what he can do, and he once again is ready to step in.

“I am just always prepared for whatever is asked of me,” said Feiler.

The team isn’t sure if safety Morgan Burnett will be back this week. Burnett missed the Chargers game with a back injury, was a full participant in practice all week, and is listed as questionable for Sunday.

“It feels good,” said Burnett. “Any time you have an opportunity to get reps and work on your craft, it’s a good thing.

“Missing time is tough. It’s part of the territory. The only thing I can keep doing is keep working, keep grinding, and don’t let that get to me mentally. Keep my head down and keep focusing on trying to get better. I just take it one day at a time.”
    Anthony Chickillo, who injured his ankle against the Chargers, did not practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but was back on the field on Friday as a full participant. He is also listed as questionable.

Ryan Switzer, who suffered a concussion against the Chargers, was a full participant in practice all week and ready to go. Switzer has become more involved in the offense as the season has progressed, something that he welcomes.

“It’s leaps and bounds since the first day,” said Switzer. “I feel like I am part of this team now. I feel like I have a grasp on what they are asking me to do. My role has increased week by week. I enjoy that, I embrace that.”

Kameron Canaday, who got a scare when he suffered a knee injury against the Chargers that he initially feared was more serious than it was, practiced all week and will be handling the long snapping duties on Sunday. Roosevelt Nix, who injured his shoulder last week, also was a full participant and will be ready to go.

Game Status
    RB James Conner (Ankle) - Out
    S Morgan Burnett (Back) - Questionable
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle) - Questionable
    OT Marcus Gilbert (Knee) - Out

Friday, December 7
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle) - Full

Thursday, December 6
    OG Ramon Foster (Coach's Decision) - DNP

Wednesday, December 5

Legend

User Info Menu

C.J. Anderson inactive for Raiders
    By Josh Alper | Dec 9, 2018, 3:01 PM EST

Running back C.J. Anderson was excited to join his hometown team when he signed with the Raiders this week, but his debut in silver and black will have to wait at least another week.

Anderson is on the inactive list for the Raiders’ home game against the Steelers on Sunday afternoon. Raiders running back Doug Martin‘s knee was an issue during the week and he was listed as questionable for the game, but he’s active and that doesn’t leave a spot for Anderson.

Left guard Kelechi Osemele was also listed as questionable, but he won’t be in the lineup for Oakland. Wide receiver Keon Hatcher, defensive tackle Maurice Hurst, cornerback Montrel Meander, tackle Justin Murray and linebacker Kyle Wilbur are also out for the Raiders.

The Steelers ruled out running back James Conner and tackle Marcus Gilbert during the week. Quarterback Mason Rudolph, tackle Zach Banner, defensive end L.T. Walton, safety Marcus Allen and linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi.