Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refs or Coaching or Players?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard for the refs to fix a game here and there without the players being clued in. Think about that call at the end of the game -- Haden was NOT offsides -- and suddenly, what should have been a missed FG that sent the game to OT becomes another chance for the Chargers. A mistake by the refs? I have to wonder.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...-FG-125806105/
    Completely agree. A game can't be completely fixed. But the REFs hold enormous power to impact the game one way or another. They make peanuts in salary so it would be really easy for someone to influence them with money.

Close calls that go one way or another I can understand humans making mistakes. But blatant things like we saw in this game have to make you wonder.

Anytime Steelers fans make noise about officiating, other teams point to Super Bowl XL. But when you look at all the calls that went against the Seahags in that game, they were ALL correct calls. There may have been a "ticky tack" call in there that came at a VERY inopportune time for the hags, but there was nothing blatantly made up. When ticky-tack calls go against the Steelers, I have no issue. But this stuff against the Chargers was in a completely different league of bad officiating. I don't know how you can label it anything other than intentional or complete incompetence. In either case, officials should be reprimanded over something like that.

Backup

User Info Menu

I mean, c'mon. The long snapper got away with break dancing before every snap and Electric Boogaloo never got called for any of his movement.[/QUOTE]

Flippy, this comment reveals your age to me. Holy cow never thought I would hear that saying again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    Flippy, this comment reveals your age to me. Holy cow never thought I would hear that saying again.
    Groovy Man

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That was an extremely poorly officiated game. Not being able to overcome that sucks, but needing to have to overcome it is even worse. The false start is just inexcusable. That was not an early twitch, that was a full yard out of his stance.

No call on a clear block in the back and the holding on foster were both terrible.

I just need to talk about ben's "miss" of Justin Hunter....im not even sure it was a miss. Every time we see hunter in a position to make a play, something bad or weird happens. It might be time to label him a camp hero and admit that he sucks because A) i think he could have gotten there and B) Im not sure he was going to catch it even if it hit him in the hands

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, Hunter is hurt; so James Washington has to step up.

Starter

User Info Menu

Yeah all the networks swept these f ups under the rug and the bolts are a team who could be unstoppable lol.... Phillip rivers needs at least 1 superbowl.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Seriously want to blame the refs for the loss to the Chargers? That's what bad teams do. I think there are a few other places to look, like missed tackles. And while I like HC Mike Tomlin, he came off a bit non-chalant about the defense against K Allen:

You know, playing without Morgan Burnett and Cam Sutton really kind of limited us in some of those things, and I think as the game went on, he pushed [Allen] inside and took advantage of some of those opportunities. Such is life, he said

Total missed tackles vs. Chargers 11
    Sean Davis 4
    Marcus Allen 1
    Mike Hilton 1
    TJ Watt 1
    Terrell Edmunds 1
    Tyson Alualu 1
    Darrius Heyward-Bey 1 (special teams)
    Roosevelt Nix 1 (special teams)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Yeah all the networks swept these f ups under the rug and the bolts are a team who could be unstoppable lol.... Phillip rivers needs at least 1 superbowl.....
    I asked earlier in the thread about whether or not the broadcast said much about the play after the game was tied 23-23 and the Chargers got the ball back. Swing pass to the RB, he was hit, and the ball popped out and was recovered by the Steelers. I saw some of the replay yesterday. They showed one replay briefly from a bad angle and asked "was it a catch?" but then dismissed it. At the game they showed it on the board, and we were sitting right in front of where the play happened - sideline seats around the 15 yard line. That looked for sure like a catch and fumble. I don't know if Tomlin asked and was told not to bother because it was whistled dead before the recovery, but I believe it was at least close enough to let the play go and then let the review of a turnover take place and determine the call.

I won't blame the loss on officiating, and I agree with the philosophy that you don't dwell on it because it won't change the outcome of the game, but there were far to many bad calls (and non-calls) that went against the Steelers, and several questionable calls that also went one way, that in a game against a quality opponent was very hard to overcome.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I asked earlier in the thread about whether or not the broadcast said much about the play after the game was tied 23-23 and the Chargers got the ball back. Swing pass to the RB, he was hit, and the ball popped out and was recovered by the Steelers. I saw some of the replay yesterday. They showed one replay briefly from a bad angle and asked "was it a catch?" but then dismissed it. At the game they showed it on the board, and we were sitting right in front of where the play happened - sideline seats around the 15 yard line. That looked for sure like a catch and fumble. I don't know if Tomlin asked and was told not to bother because it was whistled dead before the recovery, but I believe it was at least close enough to let the play go and then let the review of a turnover take place and determine the call.

I won't blame the loss on officiating, and I agree with the philosophy that you don't dwell on it because it won't change the outcome of the game, but there were far to many bad calls (and non-calls) that went against the Steelers, and several questionable calls that also went one way, that in a game against a quality opponent was very hard to overcome.
    I do agree that good teams should overcome bad calls, what is odd to me the league fired one official earlier after the browns/bolts game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post

We need to take inspiration from the lesson of that movie.
    No more going soft in the second half.........
    The DETERMINATION to win.....you can see it

Be ALWAYS ready to battle.......

DANCE BATTLE