Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refs or Coaching or Players?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We have a lot of talent on our team, so what's the problem? It seems like, all too often, we get exposed as 1) having a lack of discipline and 2) having a lack of intelligence. We saw that on display last night vs. the Chargers. I believe we have talent as good as anyone in the league, but without enough discipline and intelligence (I'm talking both players and coaches), we're going to keep having these gaffes and flubs and failings that will keep us from advancing to the Super Bowl.

We need to make it a priority to draft, not just for talent and character, but for intelligence and discipline. And we need make changes at some coaching spots. I know we'll never fire Tomlin, but dumping Butler, Porter and Danny Smith might be a good start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, I have to wonder if the fix is in. Makes sense that the NFL might want to boost the Chargers -- they're in a major TV market, going into a new stadium, etc. The league wants to try to build the Chargers' fan base. If they are at the top of the league standings, that would have to help.
    Seriously?!? How many players would really risk life and limb playing a dangerous game knowing that the outcome is being pre-determined regardless of how they play? Yes, they make millions to play but how much effort would they put in if they knew the game was fixed like some are claiming? It would have to be a grand conspiracy on a scale unheard of in the modern sports era.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We have a lot of talent on our team, so what's the problem? It seems like, all too often, we get exposed as 1) having a lack of discipline and 2) having a lack of intelligence. We saw that on display last night vs. the Chargers. I believe we have talent as good as anyone in the league, but without enough discipline and intelligence (I'm talking both players and coaches), we're going to keep having these gaffes and flubs and failings that will keep us from advancing to the Super Bowl.

We need to make it a priority to draft, not just for talent and character, but for intelligence and discipline. And we need make changes at some coaching spots. I know we'll never fire Tomlin, but dumping Butler, Porter and Danny Smith might be a good start.
    I question the idea that the Steelers have a ton of talent. I think it was driven last year by fantasy football players who saw that we had great players at RB, WR, and QB (and a very good O-Line). But our D wasn't that good with Shazier and is worse without him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Seriously?!? How many players would really risk life and limb playing a dangerous game knowing that the outcome is being pre-determined regardless of how they play? Yes, they make millions to play but how much effort would they put in if they knew the game was fixed like some are claiming? It would have to be a grand conspiracy on a scale unheard of in the modern sports era.
    This. There is no way to keep everyone quiet in a scheme like this when there would be massive money paid to the person that sold the story of how the NFL was rigged.

It's a game played and officiated by humans. Humans screw up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    3. Called Incomplete Pass on a Fumble which - +14 point swing cause that could have been returned for a TD
    I was at the game and forgot to record it. How did that play on the TV broadcast? Watching the play (it happened right in front of us) and seeing the replay on the big board, it seemed obvious that it was a catch, two feet and control, and a football move - he started running with it. What was said about it during the game? I heard a lot about the false start and the block in the back on Sirius as I drove home, but not a word about that play.

Also, was there anything obvious that seemed to be missed the other way? You can't always catch everything from the stands but wondering if there was anything that the Chargers were screwed over on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Among highlights from Mike Tomlin's press conference -- Justin Hunter injury could have 'boomerang' effect for James Washington after strong week of practice; "There's no need to look around" in AFC standings, winning only concern; Steelers won't blame officiating, will "dwell in this misery" of back-to-back losses.

2h
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard for the refs to fix a game here and there without the players being clued in. Think about that call at the end of the game -- Haden was NOT offsides -- and suddenly, what should have been a missed FG that sent the game to OT becomes another chance for the Chargers. A mistake by the refs? I have to wonder.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...-FG-125806105/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I was at the game and forgot to record it. How did that play on the TV broadcast? Watching the play (it happened right in front of us) and seeing the replay on the big board, it seemed obvious that it was a catch, two feet and control, and a football move - he started running with it. What was said about it during the game? I heard a lot about the false start and the block in the back on Sirius as I drove home, but not a word about that play.

Also, was there anything obvious that seemed to be missed the other way? You can't always catch everything from the stands but wondering if there was anything that the Chargers were screwed over on.
    I was watching but not paying attention to the commentary. It looked like a clear catch, football move, and fumble to me.

In my biased viewing, I felt like only the Steelers got screwed on more plays than I remember a team getting screwed. The Charger penalties seemed like they had to be doubly obvious to get called.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...oster-refs-nfl

Another of several calls in big moments to ensure the game going LA's way. The more I look at this, the more I think the refs might have been "fixing" it for the Chargers.

Legend

User Info Menu

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...oster-refs-nfl

Another of several calls in big moments to ensure the game going LA's way. The more I look at this, the more I think the refs might have been "fixing" it for the Chargers.
    I don't know how you call a hold on Foster there especially when his arms aren't reaching outside of the frame of his own body. Unless he grabbed the back of the defenders jersey and pulled him down, I just didn't see anything that could legit be called that wouldn't also be a holding penalty on 90% of blocks.

I mean, c'mon. The long snapper got away with break dancing before every snap and Electric Boogaloo never got called for any of his movement.