Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Artie burnt

  1. #21
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup, no one heard of him. but after being drafted, all of a sudden he became a great pick. now that he blows, none of those 'fans' want to remember supporting this selection
    What do you mean "no one heard of him"? He was a projected late 1st round pick early second round pick, some experts were touting him as the best corner in the draft. Acting like the Steelers went out on a limb drafting Artie Burns is just dishonest, he went exactly where he was projected to go.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Burns' pre-draft profile from NFL.com:

    Draft Analysis:

    "Burns is a tall cornerback and he has world-class speed. He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns and others that believe he could end up the best corner in this draft." -- Mike Mayock

    6'0"
    Height

    33 1/4"
    Arm Length

    193LBS.
    Weight

    9 1/2"
    Hands

    Overview

    Burns has been as successful a two-sport athlete as any football player has been in the last 20 years. He came to "The U" with a pedigree on the football field and the track, earning four-star recruit status while winning a state title in the 110 meter hurdles three times during his high school career (he had the top 110 meter and 300 meter hurdles times in the nation in his junior year). Burns translated that dual success in high school to the Hurricanes, winning All-American and All-Conference honors as a hurdler for the track and field squad and becoming one of the top corners in the ACC. Burns played in a reserve role as a freshman in 2013 (17 tackles, two sacks, three pass breakups) before becoming a starter in his sophomore year (40 tackles, six pass breakups). He flourished in 2015, intercepting six passes (most by a Miami player since Sean Taylor had 10 in 2003) and breaking up five others on his way to consensus second-team All-ACC honors. Unfortunately, Burns also suffered a great loss during his junior year, losing his mother after she suffered a heart attack. Since his father has been incarcerated for some time, the University of Miami started a donation fund to help his family get through the rough period -- they raised $40,000 in six hours. It was not surprising, therefore, that he wanted to declare for the 2016 NFL Draft as an early entrant.

    Combine Results
    40 yard dash: 4.46 seconds
    Vertical: 31.5 inches

    Pro Day Results
    Short shuttle: 4.3 seconds
    3-cone: 6.96 seconds
    Vertical: 33 inches
    Broad: 10 feet, 4 inches
    Bench: 7 reps of 225 pounds

    Analysis

    Strengths:
    Premium athlete with long, angular build and preferred blend of size and speed. One of the top 60-meter hurdlers in college track and field. Wakes up every morning with natural ball skills to flip the field. Got hands on high number of targeted throws, including six interceptions this season despite playing in a cornerback rotation. Will bait quarterbacks into trap throws. Has soft hands and catch radius of a receiver when it is time to take the ball away. Possesses brash, cocky demeanor. Length and physicality from press can be extremely disruptive. Burst on the throw is NFL-worthy. When he’s dialed in, has talent to be impactful. Usually finishes when he makes contact as tackler.

    Weaknesses:
    Tape isn't his best friend. Extremely raw and undisciplined. Leggy and grabby in routes. Flagged for four pass interference and two unsportsmanlike penalties. Upright in backpedal and plays with very little bend. High center of gravity prevents fluid change of direction. Coasts on athleticism and talent over proper technique. Turns motor off and on from game to game, and play can be lackadaisical. Would like to see him attack blockers rather than waiting for running back before disengaging.

    Draft Projection:
    Rounds 1 or 2

    Sources Tell Us:
    "Tape is just average. Betting on the combine with him and he'll test off the charts. He's got the traits, but he's not ready yet. He's a good kid who has so much to deal with now that his mom has passed." -- NFL personnel executive.

    NFL Comparison:
    David Amerson

    Bottom Line:
    While his tape is average and technique can be non*existent at times, NFL teams often draft on traits at the cornerback spot and assume that coaching will take care of the rest. Burns has length, speed, ball skills and abundant potential. Keep in mind he was limited in his growth at the position thanks to a spring track schedule, but he is still in the infant stages of reaching his pro potential.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...rns?id=2555344
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    What do you mean "no one heard of him"? He was a projected late 1st round pick early second round pick, some experts were touting him as the best corner in the draft. Acting like the Steelers went out on a limb drafting Artie Burns is just dishonest, he went exactly where he was projected to go.
    oh oh, now your gonna have a fight on your hands with the 'fans'
    a fight you cant win, or is it, they cant lose?
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every post season.........

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Over the last 25 years I think Burns is the second worst 1st round draft pick. I'd give Jamain Stevens #1. Then Burns. Ziggy Hood. Jarvis Jones.

    And Colbert/Tomlin won't man-up and cut him because it means the pick was bad and the coaches were unable to "coach him up".

  5. #25
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    oh oh, now your gonna have a fight on your hands with the 'fans'
    a fight you cant win, or is it, they cant lose?
    What?????????

  6. #26
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    What?????????
    hers how it goes down.
    steeler fans discuss potential first round picks
    no one mentions burns
    burns gets picked
    some fan express their displeasure of the pick
    'fans' that never mentioned burns all of a sudden support the pick and say it was BPA
    'fans' tell them to root for browns
    times goes by and burns sucks
    'fans' then say they never liked or supported the pick
    displeasured fans then makes statement about how they liked him but are now changing their mind and pretending like they didnt
    'fans' then say 'show me where lots of 'fans' said these exact words, "burns was a steal of the draft'
    displeasure fan knows they didnt say those exact words because he shamed those same 'fans' for uising that term every draft and have finally stopped using it
    'fans' think they won because those exact words werent found
    displeasured fans knows he won because they supported the pick with various other exact words
    so, you cant win or they cant lose because they have selective memories
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every post season.........

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    hers how it goes down.
    steeler fans discuss potential first round picks
    no one mentions burns
    burns gets picked
    some fan express their displeasure of the pick
    'fans' that never mentioned burns all of a sudden support the pick and say it was BPA
    'fans' tell them to root for browns
    times goes by and burns sucks
    'fans' then say they never liked or supported the pick
    displeasured fans then makes statement about how they liked him but are now changing their mind and pretending like they didnt
    'fans' then say 'show me where lots of 'fans' said these exact words, "burns was a steal of the draft'
    displeasure fan knows they didnt say those exact words because he shamed those same 'fans' for uising that term every draft and have finally stopped using it
    'fans' think they won because those exact words werent found
    displeasured fans knows he won because they supported the pick with various other exact words
    so, you cant win or they cant lose because they have selective memories
    Any link that shows anyone do this with Burns?

    This seems like a pretty big strawman.

    Most draft talk I see on here is
    1) people pissed they didn't pick the guy they had in their mock
    2) others happy because the pick was in their mock
    3) some saying they don't really know but the Steelers track record earns them the benefit of the doubt
    4) those that hate everything the team does and think the team sucks and they should fire the GM and the coaches (theis last one is mostly an exaggeration)

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Over the last 25 years I think Burns is the second worst 1st round draft pick. I'd give Jamain Stevens #1. Then Burns. Ziggy Hood. Jarvis Jones.

    And Colbert/Tomlin won't man-up and cut him because it means the pick was bad and the coaches were unable to "coach him up".
    Yep..you hit it right on the head. Tomlin can't "coach'em up" yet, he was suppose to be an expert at secondary coaching; Which was his resume when hired as head coach.

  9. #29
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I get that Burns is a raw talent and needed coaching to bring his game to the next level. Was also willing to give him time to learn his role on the team. But most disturbing thing at this point is that there seems to be no measurable improvement in his game. The same mistakes seem to occur over and over. He frequently looks lost or out of position, unsure of himself. He is the DB equivalent of Limas Sweed, amazing talent but all confidence is gone.
    The only reason he gets trotted out there is the Steelers are completely out of options (Sutton was out, Brian Allen look equally bad). CB has to be pretty high on the list next draft.

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I get that Burns is a raw talent and needed coaching to bring his game to the next level. Was also willing to give him time to learn his role on the team. But most disturbing thing at this point is that there seems to be no measurable improvement in his game. The same mistakes seem to occur over and over. He frequently looks lost or out of position, unsure of himself. He is the DB equivalent of Limas Sweed, amazing talent but all confidence is gone.
    The only reason he gets trotted out there is the Steelers are completely out of options (Sutton was out, Brian Allen look equally bad). CB has to be pretty high on the list next draft.
    That is precisely the problem. They have to keep wasting high picks on corners because the ones they previously drafted never seem to pan out. Can you imagine if Joe Haden hadn't fallen into their lap? You would have to watch the game with blindfolds on it would be so ugly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •