Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck the Broncos (They're Just Yonkos) Fah Gah Gah Gah Gah! Gah Gah Gah Gah!

Legend

User Info Menu

Deck the Broncos (They're Just Yonkos) Fah Gah Gah Gah Gah! Gah Gah Gah Gah!

Broncos, Steelers can still run the ball in pass-happy NFL

8:00 AM ET

Jeff Legwold
    ESPN Senior Writer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In the NFL's current climate of pass early, pass often, and then pass again, the Denver Broncos will get another look at a throw-first offense this weekend that can also still pull the hammer out of the toolbox.

Much like the high-flying Los Angeles Rams and Kansas City Chiefs, the Pittsburgh Steelers can flip the run switch when they decide it's necessary. And in that regard, they are similar to the Broncos, who believe there is still a time and place to pound the rock.

"A lot of is [quarterback Ben Roethlisberger], he changes a lot at the line of scrimmage, so there are plenty of times when what they do is based on what he sees," Broncos coach Vance Joseph said. "But they've had games when they're all in running the ball and I think if they think you're vulnerable to the pass they just want to kill you there. If you're not vulnerable to the pass, or you keep things even for a bit, they run it and run it some more."

The Broncos can appreciate that, given some of their best work on offense this season has come in the run game. They have led the league in yards per carry for much of the season -- they are currently No. 1 at 5.2 -- and they have been a top-10 rushing team.

The Steelers are down the list, at 26th (97.7 yards per game), but when they decide they're going to run, they do it with plenty of purpose. They've been a decidedly either-or type offense in that regard. The Steelers have three games with at least 30 carries and three games with 13 or fewer carries, including just 11 rushing attempts in their win over the Jacksonville Jaguars this past Sunday.

And while Roethlisberger leads the league in pass attempts -- 41.6 per game -- the Steelers have kept James Conner busy enough to be third in the league in rushing after Sunday's games with 796 yards.

"Teams like the Rams, the Steelers, Chiefs, they can decide they're going to come at you," said Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall. "They are explosive with quarterbacks and receivers, but when they want to pound you, they can pound you. And sometimes when you have some success slowing them down passing the ball, they come at you. I think those are tough offenses the ones that can just go from throwing the ball and turn it around and then come at you when your personnel might be for the pass."

The Broncos have felt the sting of that on defense. In Weeks 5 and 6, the New York Jets and the Rams rushed for 323 and 270 yards, respectively, and they did it largely against the Broncos' nickel package (five defensive backs). The Jets' Sam Darnold and the Rams' Jared Goff threw for 198 and 201 yards, respectively, in those games but the Broncos' defense still never really had its collective balance.

The Broncos have surrendered more than 98 yards rushing this season just three times, but those three games left such a big dent in their overall defensive numbers -- 142 rushing yards allowed in their first meeting with the Chiefs to go with the Jets and Rams -- that they are ranked 26th overall against the run.

After Sunday's game, the Broncos will have faced four of the league's top five in rushing -- Conner, Todd Gurley, Kareem Hunt and Melvin Gordon. Toss in Arizona's David Johnson and Houston's Lamar Miller and the Broncos will have faced six of the top 15 rushers.

The Broncos have returned the favor with their rookie duo of Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman doing the bulk of the work. Lindsay is eighth in the league in rushing (670 yards) while the two have combined for 10 rushing touchdowns.

"I think the run game, even in this climate of passing and what the passing game is now, still allows you to control the game," Joseph said. " ... It's still important. Because if you can't stop the run, it makes it impossible for the [defensive] playcaller, you have almost no options. Stopping the run still allows you to dictate some on defense."

Three decades ago former Steelers offensive coordinator Ron Erhardt, a longtime NFL assistant who was also on Bill Parcells' Giants staff for two Super Bowl wins, described offense in the NFL as "throw to score, run to win." And even as Sean McVay, Andy Reid, Sean Payton and others all push the envelope, they can still "come at you when they want to" as Marshall said.

"[The Steelers] have that ability when they want to use it," Joseph said. "It's based on who they're playing, and against us I could see them trying to pound it a little bit to keep the rush out. But there are weeks, you see it, they simply decide, we're going to pound you until you stop it."

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/32371/broncos-steelers-can-still-run-the-ball-in-pass-happy-nfl
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Asked what are the options to block Von Miller, Mike Tomlin said simply, "multiple people." He called Miller a "unique animal."

2h

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said finding a way to "get it done" on an off day in Jacksonville was rewarding, but the team faces another tough defense in Denver. "Don't expect them to be intimidated by our presence," he said.

2h

Legend

User Info Menu

Pacman Jones says he’s done in Denver

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 20, 2018, 4:27 PM EST

Adam “Pacman” Jones is on the way out in Denver.

Jones posted a message on Instagram suggesting he’s been released by the Broncos.

“Well Denver it was good, thanks for the opportunity!!!! On to the next,” Jones wrote.

The 35-year-old Jones signed with the Broncos this year and was a starter early in the season but hasn’t had much playing time recently. It’s not a big surprise that the Broncos are deciding to move on.

It remains to be seen whether Jones gets another chance. He’s had a much longer career than most people were expecting when off-field issues caused him to miss the entire 2007 season, and then caused him to miss the entire 2009 season. But at some point every player reaches the end of the road, and that point for Pacman may be now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/pacman-jones-says-hes-done-in-denver/

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Last week, Ben Roethlisberger passed John Elway on the all-time list of game-winning drives (41). This week, he goes to the stadium where his childhood idol played. "That's why I wear 7, because of him."

1h

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger: Passing "hero" John Elway in record books "humbling"

11:55 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Last Sunday, Ben Roethlisberger passed John Elway on the all-time list of game-winning drives with 41. This week, Roethlisberger returns to the stadium where his childhood idol played.

"That's why I wear 7, because of (Elway)," said Roethlisberger, whose 7-2-1 Pittsburgh Steelers face the 4-6 Denver Broncos on Sunday in Broncos Stadium at Mile High. "A hero of mine growing up. Anytime you get in the record books, it's humbling and means a lot. When your name is as close to his and you get to pass him, it's just an honor."

Roethlisberger and Elway were tied for sixth on the game-winners list before Roethlisberger laid out for a 1-yard touchdown rush with 5 seconds left to defeat the Jacksonville Jaguars 20-16.

Growing up in Findlay, Ohio, Roethlisberger admired a legendary foursome of 1980s quarterbacks: Elway, Dan Marino, Joe Montana and Jim Kelly, who's a close family friend now.

Roethlisberger, who was a big 49ers fan but always loved watching Elway in particular, let Elway know in person why he wears No. 7 during one of many pleasant exchanges over the years.

Despite outdistancing Elway in all-time passing yards earlier this year, Roethlisberger knows Elway could do a few things he can't.

"I joked that he could throw a ball through a car wash and it wouldn't get wet," said Roethlisberger, who has 54,267 yards compared to Elway's 51,475. "Just such a big arm. Not really a runner but would run. I think that's kind of been my game. I'm not a running quarterback, but you're not afraid to run and get the yards when you need to. Those kind of things I kind of just mold my game after. I wish my arm was as strong as his, though."

Roethlisberger is 3-5 against Denver during his 15-year career, including road playoff losses in 2012 and 2016. He has 719 combined passing yards in the last two matchups against the Broncos.

The Steelers ride a six-game winning streak and are 15-1-1 in their last 17 road games. Win or lose, Roethlisberger will savor the moment to be in Denver.

"Any time you go into a place that's had a legendary type quarterback that I grew up watching, it is kind of special," he said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25340715/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-says-john-elway-hero-his

Starter

User Info Menu

I'M hoping Adeniyi is activated for this game. It would be nice to see #92 coming off the edge and creating havoc again.

I'm going with Steelers 31-23.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    I'M hoping Adeniyi is activated for this game. It would be nice to see #92 coming off the edge and creating havoc again.

I'm going with Steelers 31-23.
    He was just designated to return from I.R. this morning, meaning that he can now start practicing, but doesn't count against the 53 man roster just yet.

A three-week window now opens in which we have to decide whether to activate Adeniyi (need to open up a spot on the 53 man roster for him) or send him back to I.R. again, thus officially ending his season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2018 04:00 PM

Week 12 Injury Report (Broncos)

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

It was back to work for the Steelers on Wednesday as they prepare to take on the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

But for a few players, the work is being delayed.

Tackles Marcus Gilbert and Matt Feiler were both held out of practice. Gilbert has been battling a knee injury that has kept him sidelined for four games.

“I wouldn’t describe it as a setback,” said Coach Mike Tomlin about Gilbert. “It’s probably not healing as fast as he or we would like, but that’s life. I wouldn’t describe it as a setback, no.”

Feiler has stepped in for Gilbert but suffered a pectoral injury against the Jaguars last week. He didn’t miss any snaps in the Jaguars game, but the team is taking a safe approach with it.

With both of them sitting out, the next man up falls in the hands of rookie Chukwuma Okorafor. Okorafor has seen some playing time lined up at tight end as a tackle eligible, but if Gilbert or Feiler aren’t ready for Sunday it would be his first start.

“I’ve been pleased with his growth,” said Tomlin. “The good thing, and it’s one of the reasons why we take the thoughtful approach that we do with young swing tackles, we play them at tight end some. And we’ve played him at tight end some. So he gets to report as eligible, and gets some in-game experience. We’ve done it over the years. We’ve done it with (Alejandro) Villanueva, we’ve done it with (Chris) Hubbard and others. It’s a way for young, developing tackles to get in-game experience and play some. If he’s called upon it won’t be the first time he’s played for us, and we’ll expect him to play varsity ball.”

Okorafor said getting the snaps at the blocking tight end spot has helped him, and will be a benefit if he is called upon Sunday.

“That has been huge,” said Okorafor. “I have been able to feel how the game is going. Whether it’s playing one rep or playing 10, it’s huge. It’s helped. It’s the same thing. You block the same guys. It helps a lot.”

Okorafor had the opportunity to work with the first team offense on Wednesday, something that will pay dividends.

“Getting the reps is huge for me,” said Okorafor. “To have the chance to go with the first team. It’s been a process from rookie minicamp, to minicamp, to camp and now here. I just have to keep doing what I have been doing.”

Stephon Tuitt was also a spectator on Wednesday, still bothered by the elbow injury that forced him to miss the Jaguars game.

Anthony Chickillo, who suffered an ankle injury late in the Jacksonville game, was a full participant.

Ola Adeniyi, who was placed on injured reserve after the team’s final cut, was placed on injured reserve/designated to return on Wednesday. With that designation he was able to practice and the team now has a 14-day window to decide whether to activate him to the 53-man roster or keep him on injured reserve for the rest of the season.

Also not practicing were Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Haden and Maurkice Pouncey, all coach’s decisions.

The full participation report is below.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 12

Wednesday, 11/21
    QB Ben Roethlisberger (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    CB Joe Haden (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle) - Full
    OT Matt Feiler (Pectoral) - DNP
    OT Marcus Gilbert (Knee) - DNP
    DE Stephon Tuitt (Elbow) - DNP

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-12-injury-report-broncos

Legend

User Info Menu

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 01:30 PM

Week 12 Injury Report (Broncos)
    Teresa Varley
    STEELERS.COM

Thanksgiving Day is a time for families to relax and spend quality time together, and of course eat a lot of food.

For the Steelers, they spent a good portion of their day with their football family, practicing at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

Like Wednesday, a few players were held out of practice, still battling injuries that have their status for Sunday’s game in Denver not known at this point.

Tackle Marcus Gilbert didn’t practice for the second straight day. Gilbert has been battling a knee injury that has kept him sidelined for four games.

Matt Feiler, who has stepped in for Gilbert during that stretch, suffered a pectoral injury against the Jaguars last week. He didn’t miss any snaps in the Jaguars game, but the team is taking a safe approach with it. Feiler, who didn't practice on Wednesday, was limited in practice on Thursday, but said afterwards he was feeling better.

The injuries could call rookie tackle Chukwuma Okorafor into action on Sunday, and if he does play his teammates know he will hold up his end of things, but they will also make sure he doesn’t have to handle the challenge of blocking Broncos’ pass rusher Von Miller on his own.

“Listen, nobody can really block Von Miller to tell you the truth, so we’ll have to put a couple guys over there,” said Ben Roethlisberger. “We are not going to be crazy and make one guy do it. We’ll have to put a couple guys over there because he and (Bradley) Chubb are pretty special.”

The offensive line has had their injuries issues this year, but the ‘next man up’ mentality has paid dividends for them. Feiler, B.J. Finney and now Okorafor are doing their part, and it’s a credit to line coach Mike Munchak.

“I think that is a special group,” said Roethlisberger. “They are all so close, they have their inside jokes, they’ve got their group text that they are always on, just everything. They’ve been together for a while, that helps and when you have five guys that have played together for a few years now. Anytime a young guy gets infused into that, it’s a lot easier to transition them in and help them. I think there are a lot of factors.”

Okorafor is getting additional reps in practice this week, and those will be beneficial if he does have to play.

“I have made a lot of progress, but I still have a lot of work to get better,” said Okorafor. “I am just taking it day by day. The guys are just telling me each game treat it like practice. It’s just a game, but it’s nothing huge. It’s what I have been doing the last few weeks.”

He said he hasn’t thought yet about what it would be like to start, knowing there is still time, but he is preparing for whatever is asked of him if he is the next man up.

“I play every play hard whether it’s a game or practice,” said Okorafor. “That is how it has been. You don’t know when you have to go, so you have to keep practicing like you are the guy.”

Stephon Tuitt was also held out of practice on Thursday, still bothered by the elbow injury that forced him to miss the Jaguars game. Anthony Chickillo, who suffered an ankle injury late in the Jacksonville game, was a full participant once again.

Ramon Foster was held out of practice, a coach’s decision to give him a veteran day off.

The full participation report is below.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 12

Thursday, 11/22
    QB Ben Roethlisberger (Coach's Decision) - Full
    CB Joe Haden (Coach's Decision) - Full
    C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - Full
    OT Matt Feiler (Pectoral) - Limited
    OT Ramon Foster - (Coach's Decision) - DNP

Wednesday, 11/21
    QB Ben Roethlisberger (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    CB Joe Haden (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - DNP
    OT Matt Feiler (Pectoral) - DNP

Denver Broncos Participation/Injury Report, Week 12

Thursday, 11/22
    ILB Brandon Marshall (Knee) - DNP
    CB Bradley Roby (Concussion) - Limited
    S Dymonte Thomas (Ankle) - DNP
    WR DaeSean Hamilton (Knee) - Full
    NT Domata Peko Sr. (NIR) - DNP

Wednesday, 11/21
    ILB Brandon Marshall (Knee) - DNP
    CB Bradley Roby (Concussion) - DNP
    S Dymonte Thomas (Ankle) - DNP
    WR DaeSean Hamilton (Knee) - Limited