Thread: Dumbest question ever - is Bell *prohibited* from signing with Steelers this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Dumbest question ever - is Bell *prohibited* from signing with Steelers this year?

Dumbest question ever since my last one!

With all the talk about our potentially signing other RBs (CJ, 2Sant, etc.), the question occurred to me ... is the Steeler FO free to approach Bell and say something like, "OK, all the drama is over - you wanna play the rest of the season for us, for $$ dollars"?

Maybe, just maybe, Bell is deciding in these past 24 hrs that he's looking pretty bad in the eyes of potential 2019 future employers ... that there are a lot of *good* current NFL RB's whose rookie contracts are ending this year and who he will have to compete against for the best contract next year, guys that have tape of them playing that is more recent than 2 years old ... and that for these and maybe some other reasons he's changing his mind and thinking maybe he should generate some awesome 2018 tape that he can shop around in 2019?

Just wonderIng!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hes ineligible to play for anyone

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes ineligible to play for anyone
    Ok, then, thanks K Train for clarifying.

He's one bold dude, betting so much on one potential option that may or may not occur ...

Mods, if you want to delete this thread, I don't mind. Thanks!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Would the only way he could play football this year not require the Steelers to recind the franchise tag thus making him a free agent? Or is that not an option anymore because he never signed by the deadline?

Not that the steelers would rescind anyways but I’m just speculating.

Legend

User Info Menu

He cant play for anyone and there is no tag to rescind at this time.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I think that it became unlikely for him to sign as the value of the tag dropped every week. If what he is after is guaranteed money, the greatest amount that he could have received was the original $14.5M. If he wasn't signing for that. why would he sign now for $6M?