Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transition Tag - Question

Legend

User Info Menu

Transition Tag - Question

Could the Steelers Transition Tag Bell so they can match and then match any offer even if they don't intend to keep him.

That way, they can potentially sign a long term deal with Le'Veon which they leverage into a trade for something better than a 3rd round pick and they can control where they send him.

Then if team's know that's the Steelers' strategy, will it incentivize some team to over offer if they believe they are trying to mess with the Steelers? And will it incentivize others to under offer in FA hurting Le'Veon's ultimate pay day.

Plus wouldn't it be fun if we could send him to the team with the worst Oline in the NFL and potentially also the worst QB/passing game?

Then again, wouldn't it be in teams best interests not to spend money on the RB position? There's a reason RB's cap numbers are where they are afterall.

Legend

User Info Menu

If they match the deal he gets from the other team, then theres no negotiating a new deal while with the Steelers.
    They either sign him or he goes to the new team.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    If they match the deal he gets from the other team, then theres no negotiating a new deal while with the Steelers.
    They either sign him or he goes to the new team.
    I get that. But then they can trade him for something better than a 3rd round pick, right?

Backup

User Info Menu

If a team was willing to take on the contract we would sign him to, wouldn't it make sense for them to just offer him the contract in free agency rather than allow the Steelers to sign the deal, then have to give up a draft pick in a trade just to take on that contract?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    If a team was willing to take on the contract we would sign him to, wouldn't it make sense for them to just offer him the contract in free agency rather than allow the Steelers to sign the deal, then have to give up a draft pick in a trade just to take on that contract?
    Where would he be a free agent?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The answer is yes. If the Steelers tag him then the team has the right of refusal on any deal he signs. So, if he does sign, the Steelers can turn choose to retain his rights and offer him to that team (and any other team) based on that deal. Ideally they do better than a third rounder that way. However, if the Steelers can't find a trade partner then they are stuck with him, or if they refuse to match the offer then they receive no compensation in return.

Backup

User Info Menu

If he's on the transition tag, he can receive offers from other teams, with the Steelers able to match. Am I understanding that incorrectly? If that's the case, it would make more sense to me for the other team to just offer a higher contract that the Steelers wouldn't want to match rather than let the Steelers sign him, and then give up a 1st rounder in addition to taking on the contract in a trade.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    If he's on the transition tag, he can receive offers from other teams, with the Steelers able to match. Am I understanding that incorrectly? If that's the case, it would make more sense to me for the other team to just offer a higher contract that the Steelers wouldn't want to match rather than let the Steelers sign him, and then give up a 1st rounder in addition to taking on the contract in a trade.

That makes sense and i was thinking the same, but if we tag him for a 3rd time then he is guaranteed avg of top QB pay, 25m. So what team would compete with a first year salaryuld be that high, and add in long term contract and guarantee.

I think it would be just wash our hands of him, and be more than happy that we have Conner and salary cap space next year, any comp pick is a plus. BUT I WANT HIGH RETURN FOR BELL TOO!
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So I'm asking because I do not know the answer. In what scenario does a team get 2 1st round draft picks when they transition tag a player? They just were talking about the 2 1st rounders on NFL Network, but never explained it.. thanks.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    so i'm asking because i do not know the answer. In what scenario does a team get 2 1st round draft picks when they transition tag a player? They just were talking about the 2 1st rounders on nfl network, but never explained it.. Thanks.
    I don't know, but there are always the R-A-I-D-E-R-S!!!!
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."