Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell Not Expected to Report by Deadline

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bell Not Expected to Report by Deadline

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline, which would make him ineligible to play the rest of this season, multiple league sources tell ESPN.

Even as the Steelers now brace to lose their marquee running back for the entire year, Bell's camp continues to maintain its cone of silence and repeatedly has declined to address with reporters his plans for this week.

As the team and its fans await Tuesday's deadline, by which Bell must report by 4 p.m. ET or be ineligible to play for the remainder of the season, it is worth remembering what the Pro Bowl back said last January.

Ten months ago, Bell, 26, said he "definitely would consider" sitting out the 2018 season or retiring if the Steelers used the franchise tag on him for a second straight season. The Steelers did. There are no indications that Bell will report by the deadline.

By sitting out this season, Bell ostensibly has been trying to preserve his value and body, allowing James Conner to get the work in the Steelers' backfield that he would have. Conner, who averages 4.7 yards per carry, is on pace for close to 300 carries, similar to what Bell had last season. It is wear and tear that Bell seemingly did not want to absorb as he gets ready to become a free agent.

Despite Steelers owner Art Rooney telling Sirius XM Radio on Thursday that he expected Bell to report by Tuesday, Bell has skipped every chance he's had to report, including during Pittsburgh's recent bye week, when he could have collected $855,000 just for being on the roster.

Bell did not report hours before the Steelers' Thursday night win over Carolina, when he could have collected another $855,000 for playing in the game. He has bypassed the chance to make more than $8.5 million and could make only $6 million more if he were to report by Tuesday.

But the reason he has been willing to forgo all of this so far is the reason that multiple people do not expect to see Bell this week, or this season, either. And if Bell doesn't report by Tuesday, which is now the belief, then his Steelers' career would be unofficially over.
    Last edited by SteelBucks; 11-10-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The team that signs him is a sucker. I hope a intrepid reporter investigates and writes a story about RBs who miss an entire year (due to injury, or any other reason), and how they come back to resume their career. I don't know the answer to this question, but my guess is that it isn't a good history.

That is because (again, if it is true) RB is not a position where you can take your foot off the gas and on. You got to keep that body tightly wound and accustomed. Those hits will hurt that much more. When you get injured... let's say a sprained ankle... you then put more stress on your opposing leg, and then you develop (e.g. a hip strain)... that slows you down a 0.1 of a second, which sets you up for slightly harder hits... and the decline begins.

I think you will see that with Bell next year. Took too much time off, and will never be the same.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not economical but I’d love to tag him again just to tick him off.

Starter

User Info Menu

I knew it. He was back in Pittsburgh for the primo Yinzer weed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I knew it. He was back in Pittsburgh for the primo Yinzer weed.
    I thought it was so someone can pass him the (Thai) sticks?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

From Brinson on CBS Sports site:

"Don't rule out the possibility the Steelers rescind the franchise tag. Even though it's been reported they won't get compensation (the NFL has a wildly complicated formula for compensatory picks), the gamble of getting something might be better than simply taking nothing."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...port-for-2018/

Apparently, if Bell doesn't sign his franchise tag, chances are we will get no compensation when he signs with another team. If I understand what he's saying, should we pull the franchise tag, then there's a chance we would get awarded a pick.
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-10-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    From Brinson on CBS Sports site:

"Don't rule out the possibility the Steelers rescind the franchise tag. Even though it's been reported they won't get compensation (the NFL has a wildly complicated formula for compensatory picks), the gamble of getting something might be better than simply taking nothing."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...port-for-2018/

Apparently, if Bell doesn't sign his franchise tag, chances are we will get no compensation when he signs with another team. If I understand what he's saying, should we pull the franchise tag, then there's a chance we would get awarded a pick.
    Highly unlikely they’ll rescind the tag. Allowing him to sign with another team now is risky. Could you imagine him in a Pats uniform for the remainder of the year? Secondly, the front office will never admit defeat and give Bell what he wants. IMO, they would rather him lose a year salary (and a year in his prime) than cut him loose.

Legend

User Info Menu

this is a circus. one day he has to sign, the next he doesnt. back and forth, back and forth. how no one knows for sure is insane. now all of a sudden no comp pick will be rewarded. how is that now possible?
    i cant wait for tuesday at 4:01 pm, so part of this BS can go away.
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every post season.........

Starter

User Info Menu

Holly ****, I woke up to this news today...

My take and spin:

1) When he didn't report to the office back in September, we all knew this was going to get ugly. Only two more days to see if he does or doesn't sign, but the story/drama is not over until he is officially plays with us or on another team in 2019, and if we got any compensation out of this. At least the "cancer " and drama of his shadow will be long gone from the locker room.

2) Conner has been a blessing. Some one who is very un-Bell like. I think at this point in time, Bell has lost the respect in the locker room, despite the reports of being politically correct in saying they will welcome him back. Yeah Bell is a baller and might of helped us out to finish the season, but the key word is " might". And like Decastro said, " No one cares" sums up the true feeling on the offense. Conner has proven he can do it. Plus our team is loaded on the offensive side of the ball. ( AB, JU, Switzter, Eli, McDonald, James, not including the potential in the rookies Sammuels and Washington)

3) Option 1: From my understanding, if he doesn't sign, Bell can be retagged for QB franchise tag in 2019. In which, he gets paid like top 5 QBs, and Bell is free to negotiate with any team, but Steelers' have right to match. No way any team coughs up 25 million for him, so he he is going to sign max like a Gurley deal, way under that 25 M. If we have cap space, I think we should QB tag him, and let him find his new team, and then sign and trade him. Maybe absorb some of the costs, but it will assure us at least high a draft pick in 2019, instead of waiting on 2020 ( based on performance/ pay) draft pick that might turn out to be a 4th. Even if he does sign with an AFC team, it would be no different if we let him walk. We can always rescind this tag right?

4) Option 2: We wash our hands of Bell, and wish him luck, gain huge cap space going into next year and risk/wait for 2020 draft comp... 3rd/4th.

5) I think our OL and passing game is so uber, that any RB ( Ridley, Samuels) can contribute positive as our featured back.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 11-11-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Seriously, why show up in Pittsburgh? Just for the media?