Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More interesting stats after Carolina game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Also, Steelers stayed in their base alignment vs. Carolina more than usual. I don't know that that would be wise against every opponent. Depending on who we're playing, less Bince and less Hargrave might be a good thing.
    Was this your observation or did you read it somewhere?
    Im curious to know w/o having to review the game
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Also, Steelers stayed in their base alignment vs. Carolina more than usual. I don't know that that would be wise against every opponent. Depending on who we're playing, less Bince and less Hargrave might be a good thing.
    It's a double edged sword. Seems to help generate a pass rush, but also leaves the wrong ILBs on the field to defend the pass.

Smart teams will throw to RBs, TEs, and slot WRs against us on 1st and 2nd downs. I wasn't charting the Carolina plays, but man, they seemed to pass on us on 2nd downs to try and take advantage of our ILBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

No doubt it was a big win for both the offense and defense. It is pretty rare to see a Steelers team perform at a high level on both sides in the same game. I don't read more into the win than what it was; a home game on a short week against an ill-prepared opponent (how many times have we seen that from the Steelers?). It happens in the NFL. The Steelers are visibly improving but I don't see them on the same level as KC, NO, or possibly even the Rams. The NO offense looks to be a well-oiled machine with Brees at QB.

The most important thing; the Steelers definitely look like they are again the best team in the AFC North which is all-important to getting to the post-season.