Thread: Most Improved Steeler 2018 ... Butler? How about Fichtner? LOL!

Legend

User Info Menu

Most Improved Steeler 2018 ... Butler? How about Fichtner? LOL!

Holy cow, our offense is barely recognizable as the same one that took the field in the first quarter of the year, and that is about 100 times more true for the defense IMO.

I have to admit, I was one that thought Butler was way over his head back then. I have no idea what he's doing differently (scheme?) compared to then, but wow, our front 4 guys are really making a huge difference.

For a few weeks I thought maybe Big Dan was the (very unlikely!) secret sauce that made the difference, but I think he was out last night, and we got after it as well as we ever have this year.

Looks like we are going to have to beat the **s at home on 12/16 to avoid a playoff trip to Foxboro (the Pats** are likely to win out their other games, as just have two games out of the conference remaining, then they go to MN, and have a home game against TN, so if we don't beat them on December 16 they are likely to be 14-2 and waiting in Foxboro for us and whoever else comes through come playoff time). Oh, and KC, hopefully they pull their usual 2nd half of the season swoon and aren't a problem for us in the post-season).

Sorry for the rambling, what I really meant to say was - way to go Butler and Fichtner!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

The most improved Steeler in 2018 is James Conner and it isn't close.

In his rookie season, he had a grand total 144 rushing yards and 0 receiving yards and 0 TD's.

This year, he's already had 4 single games with more yards from scrimmage than he had his entire rookie year combined.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The most improved Steeler in 2018 is James Conner and it isn't close.

In his rookie season, he had a grand total 144 rushing yards and 0 receiving yards and 0 TD's.

This year, he's already had 4 single games with more yards from scrimmage than he had his entire rookie year combined.
    I would tend to agree but I wouldn't discount Vance McDonald. Huge improvement over what we saw last year and major contributions

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think that Conner is the right answer.

I also think that Vance is a good candidate.

I also think the Fort is a good candidate for this award as well. He went from not being able to beat out a guy off the street, to a competent part of our pass defense. He's not as good or as important as Conner or Vance, but his starting point was much lower.

Backup

User Info Menu

The way Dupree has looked over the last few games, his name has to be thrown in to the hat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Most improved Steeler player has to be Conner, but Haden gets a close 2nd.

Fichtner has done in the Red Zone what Haley could never do on a consistent basis.

I'm not 100% convinced about Butler.....yet
    I say yet because vs. the Ravens late he stayed with his Hilton and late DB blitzing from 5 yards deep.
    I understand the pressure he was trying to create, but they werent sniffing Flacco.
    Last night his insistence on keeping Bostic and Vince on the field was driving me crazy.
    Those two TD's to McCaff were evidence in my opinion that he is a very thick head sometimes.
    I would've preferred to see Fort in there a bit more.
    I did love the relentless pressure he manufactured and admired the fact he was pumped up and very animated on the sidelines.
    It was a pleasant change from his early season passiveness.
    Just my opinion.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.