Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben is a good sportsman, not just a good athlete

Legend

User Info Menu

The quarterback giving himself up was a bad idea because of the speed of the game. I agree it is nearly impossible to stop and not hit a quarterback who is trying to get every yard before sliding. That being said, it was pretty obvious there was intent last night and I thin the ejection was warranted.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.28 Edmunds, Terrell, S, VA Tech
    2.60 Washington, James, WR, OSU
    3.76 Rudolph, Mason, QB, OSU
    3.92 Okorafor, Chukwuma, OT, W.Mich
    5.148 Allen, Marcus, S, PSU
    5.165 Samuels, Jaylen, RB, NC State
    7.246 Frazier, Joshua, DT, Alabama

Starter

User Info Menu

Reid let his frustrations get to him and impulsively went for a cheap shot. It's not Burfict territory, but still cheap and absolutely deserved a penalty.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The quarterback giving himself up was a bad idea because of the speed of the game. I agree it is nearly impossible to stop and not hit a quarterback who is trying to get every yard before sliding. That being said, it was pretty obvious there was intent last night and I thin the ejection was warranted.

Pappy
    I agree with Pappy

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Its the rules. Reid could have let up much more than he did. He deserved ejection
    Rules? Come on man. The rules when it comes to protecting players are being over regulated. We've seen plenty of BS calls this year.

I thought it was a bang bang play. I don't know how defensive players are supposed to let up going at near world class speeds? As soon as a defensive player lets up the offensive player will take advantage and run for more yards, get a first down, or potentially score a TD.

Ben would probably still be running if he didn't see Reid coming in like a heat seeking missile. How about if Ben did the smart thing and slide right after he had the first down or before he put himself in a position to take an unnecessary hit from Reid?

How about the NFL implement rules and penalties for QBs and offensive players for putting themselves in bad positions that allow defensive players to be penalized or fined?

It's clear that refs are going to throw flags on most hits on the QB. That still won't stop defensive players from taking shots at QB's if given the chance. The NFL over reacted with the suspension. They just wanted to set another example even if it wasn't the right decision. The league/refs made a lot of bad decisions when it has come to over protecting the QB's lately.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Like all rules they are not bad or questionable until questionable situations like the Reid play happened. The rule was implemented for QB's to slide long before they take a hit. Not to slide at the last possible millisecond before taking a hit. Ben could had easily slid long before Reid built up enough speed to allow a bang bang play to happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't tell from the slo-mo that Reid was looking to hit Ben in the head. That would merit not just ejection, but suspension in my book.

Is there a view that shows Reid starting his tackle launch after Ben started his slide, or making a motion that shows he was specifically targeting Ben's head? If not, I wouldn't come down so hard on him.

Our linebackers learn how to break the laws of physics and avoid getting flags by somehow changing their momentum in mid-air to avoid hitting the QB in an "illegal manner" (according to the latest iteration of NFL rules). I guess the NFL is trying to force safeties and corners to learn the same technique.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Like all rules they are not bad or questionable until questionable situations like the Reid play happened. The rule was implemented for QB's to slide long before they take a hit. Not to slide at the last possible millisecond before taking a hit. Ben could had easily slid long before Reid built up enough speed to allow a bang bang play to happen.
    That's my point, the rule is bad because one side can stretch the bounds of the rule (quarterback) with impunity and the other side (defense) has to accept the ramifications for the quarterback stretching the rules. Personally, if any quarterback wants to venture out of the pocket he's playing football and should be subject to any tackles, hard hits, etc., protect them in the pocket but they decide they wan tto play football then they should have their big boy pants on.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.28 Edmunds, Terrell, S, VA Tech
    2.60 Washington, James, WR, OSU
    3.76 Rudolph, Mason, QB, OSU
    3.92 Okorafor, Chukwuma, OT, W.Mich
    5.148 Allen, Marcus, S, PSU
    5.165 Samuels, Jaylen, RB, NC State
    7.246 Frazier, Joshua, DT, Alabama