Thread: Steelers-Browns: So what happened on that free kick?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers-Browns: So what happened on that free kick?

Steelers-Browns: So what happened on that free kick?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201810280220

RAY FITTIPALDO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com
    OCT 28, 2018 5:11 PM
    For the second time in as many years the Steelers failed to field a free kick after a safety. The special-teams gaffe against the Cleveland Browns Sunday at Heinz Field did not cost the Steelers in the end, but it did get the Browns back into the game at a moment when the Steelers could have seized momentum.

Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree forced a holding call on Browns rookie tackle Desmond Harrison in the end zone, and the safety gave the Steelers a 16-6 lead with 8:13 remaining in the third quarter. Browns punter Britton Colquitt executed a high and short kick. Fullback Roosevelt Nix signaled for a fair catch, but let the ball bounce. Deep returners Ryan Switzer and Antonio Brown also did not go after the ball, and the Browns recovered the ball at the Steelers 24. A short time later, Baker Mayfield threw a touchdown pass to Antonio Calloway to make it 16-12.

Switzer admitted after the game that he did not know the Browns could recover the free kick. It did not appear any of the Steelers on the field knew the Browns could recover the ball because no one tried to chase after it.

“I saw Rosie giving the fair-catch signal in front of me,” Switzer said after the game. “I was running to the ball. A.B. was running to the ball. There was just a lot of miscommunication going on. Ultimately, none of that matters. We have to come up with the ball. From my point of view, I was thinking punts were dead and kickoffs were alive

“Honestly, it’s one of those things you wish didn’t happen. Obviously, you learn from it, which I certainly will. It’s unfortunate, but guys had my back today, and we came out with a win, which helped me a lot.”

Switzer is in his second NFL season. He did not return kickoffs in college at North Carolina, but he did for the Cowboys a year ago. Nix, who refused to answer questions about the play, is in his fourth NFL season.

“We have to know the rule, and that falls me on me,” Switzer said.

Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about the play and would only say: “We screwed it up.”

The Steelers forced a safety on the first series of a game in Kansas City a year ago. The Chiefs also kicked it short and Antonio Brown could not come up to field it in time, but he and JuJu Smith-Schuster did try to chase after it. The Chiefs recovered the ball and kicked a field goal to take a 3-2 lead. The Steelers won the game, 19-13.

In 1990, former Steelers running back Barry Foster failed to field a kickoff that that the 49ers recovered. Leading, 13-7, the 49ers scored a touchdown a few plays later and went on to win, 27-7.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Banned

User Info Menu

really, pro players and apparently some coaches dont know that is a live ball?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    really, pro players and apparently some coaches dont know that is a live ball?

Lmao I didn’t realize it was live at first. But then again I’m a drinking man relaxing in my back yard with my dad and 2 year old son. Was a bone headed play! Glad it didn’t turn the game on it’s head and we still won...

Legend

User Info Menu

Free kicks are just baby kick offs. Of course their live.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like this Switzer kid. And I especially appreciate him stepping up and taking the blame, saying it falls on him to know the rules. Conversely, it's lame that Nix refused to address the issue especially when it was his bone-headed decision to call for a fair catch and then run away from it causing the whole issue. He doesn't raise his hand, Switzer fields it cleanly on a fly.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I like this Switzer kid. And I especially appreciate him stepping up and taking the blame, saying it falls on him to know the rules. Conversely, it's lame that Nix refused to address the issue especially when it was his bone-headed decision to call for a fair catch and then run away from it causing the whole issue. He doesn't raise his hand, Switzer fields it cleanly on a fly.
    Danny Smith ought to be stepping up and taking some blame. All I see him doing is chewing gum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    What happens if one guy calls for a fair catch (Nix) and a different guy actually catches it (Switzer...or even AB)? That's weird.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    What happens if one guy calls for a fair catch (Nix) and a different guy actually catches it (Switzer...or even AB)? That's weird.

If the ball is caught or recovered by a teammate who did not make a valid fair-catch signal, the ball is dead immediately, but it is not a fair catch. The ball will next be put in play by a snap by the receiving team at the dead- ball spot (or at the succeeding spot after enforcement of any applicable penalties).