Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Bell to Eagles Trade

Legend

User Info Menu

Le'Veon Bell still a no-show at Steelers facilities ahead of Week 8

3:34 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Le'Veon Bell did not report to the Steelers' facilities on Monday despite plans to use Weeks 7 and 8 to make his return to the team.

Bell was not on the practice field nor inside the locker room as the team reconvened after the bye week.

Center Maurkice Pouncey said nothing surprises him with the now-two-month storyline.

"I'm enjoying the ride just like you guys. I want to see how it plays out," Pouncey said. "I'm waiting to see just like everyone else. No bets are out there, trust me. I think we're just enjoying the process, see how it plays out, and hopefully the best for him."

Bell, who forfeits $855,000 for each week he fails to sign his $14.5 million franchise tag, told ESPN on Oct. 1 that he would play football this year and did not expect to be traded.

ESPN reported Bell expected to return during the Week 7-8 time frame. That window ends with Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns in Heinz Field. Bell wanted to utilize the extra practice week during that two-week stretch, and it's possible his plans have changed.

Bell must report by Nov. 13 -- the Tuesday of Week 11 -- in order to play this season. Bell also said the team had planned on placing the transition tag on him during the offseason and he bought a loss-of-value insurance policy to protect him this year.

Bell is missing games to preserve his health for a long-term contract in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Sunday that some sources around the league believe Bell will wait until after the Oct. 30 trade deadline to return to work because he does not want to be traded. Bell must be signed to facilitate a trade. He told ESPN earlier this month that he would consider trade offers if a team is serious about signing him long-term and about winning championships.

Several Steelers players have said they couldn't "care less" when Bell shows but will embrace him upon his return and don't expect any major adjustments. Bell must take a physical with the team before practicing.

"I haven't talked to him. Nobody has," guard Ramon Foster said. "We're in a wait-and-see situation like you guys."

Foster said he "salutes" Bell's business fight but wouldn't get into different scenarios Bell might be thinking.

Bell's replacement, James Conner, entered the bye week with 453 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns, both ranking among the league's top five before Sunday.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25055162/leveon-bell-no-show-steelers-facilities-ahead-week-8
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Le'Veon Bell still a no-show at Steelers facilities ahead of Week 8

3:34 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Le'Veon Bell did not report to the Steelers' facilities on Monday despite plans to use Weeks 7 and 8 to make his return to the team.

Bell was not on the practice field nor inside the locker room as the team reconvened after the bye week.

Center Maurkice Pouncey said nothing surprises him with the now-two-month storyline.

"I'm enjoying the ride just like you guys. I want to see how it plays out," Pouncey said. "I'm waiting to see just like everyone else. No bets are out there, trust me. I think we're just enjoying the process, see how it plays out, and hopefully the best for him."

Bell, who forfeits $855,000 for each week he fails to sign his $14.5 million franchise tag, told ESPN on Oct. 1 that he would play football this year and did not expect to be traded.

ESPN reported Bell expected to return during the Week 7-8 time frame. That window ends with Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns in Heinz Field. Bell wanted to utilize the extra practice week during that two-week stretch, and it's possible his plans have changed.

Bell must report by Nov. 13 -- the Tuesday of Week 11 -- in order to play this season. Bell also said the team had planned on placing the transition tag on him during the offseason and he bought a loss-of-value insurance policy to protect him this year.

Bell is missing games to preserve his health for a long-term contract in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Sunday that some sources around the league believe Bell will wait until after the Oct. 30 trade deadline to return to work because he does not want to be traded. Bell must be signed to facilitate a trade. He told ESPN earlier this month that he would consider trade offers if a team is serious about signing him long-term and about winning championships.

Several Steelers players have said they couldn't "care less" when Bell shows but will embrace him upon his return and don't expect any major adjustments. Bell must take a physical with the team before practicing.

"I haven't talked to him. Nobody has," guard Ramon Foster said. "We're in a wait-and-see situation like you guys."

Foster said he "salutes" Bell's business fight but wouldn't get into different scenarios Bell might be thinking.

Bell's replacement, James Conner, entered the bye week with 453 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns, both ranking among the league's top five before Sunday.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25055162/leveon-bell-no-show-steelers-facilities-ahead-week-8
    Comments from other Steelers players seem a lot more positive now than at the beginning of the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Le’Veon Bell is still gone, and Mike Tomlin is still not interested in talking about him

Posted by Mike Florio on October 23, 2018, 3:52 PM EDT

Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell had planned to return last week. It’s still unclear why he didn’t. It’s now clear he won’t be returning this week, either.

It’s also clear that coach Mike Tomlin has no interest in talking about Bell.

“I don’t play the hypothetical game,” Tomlin said at his weekly press conference in response to a question about a possible trade for Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson. “We focus on us and potential free agents and so forth. It’s our normal business. I just don’t delve into the hypothetical fodder about who’s potentially available and who’s not. Some of those things are just speculation, there’s no significance or anything real to it. So why comment on it? Why think about it? Why waste one iota of our time? We’ve got real tangible issues relative to guys on our team that need to be addressed.”

Tomlin then made it clear that the same mindset applies to Bell, in the event anyone wanted to ask about him.

If any other team wants to ask about Bell, the problem is that he can’t be traded until he signs a contract with the team. At this point, it’s looking more and more likely that he won’t show up until after the trade deadline comes and goes, next Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

As to Peterson, Tomlin’s decision to say nothing made plenty of sense, given the tampering rules. He can’t comment on players under contract with another team, and given the Cardinals’ strong position that they won’t be trading Peterson (along with the reports that Peterson wants out), any team that would publicly flirt with Peterson would be asking for a tampering charge.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/23/leveon-bell-is-still-gone-and-mike-tomlin-is-still-not-interested-in-talking-about-him/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope