Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Bell to Eagles Trade

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I don't know who it is who filled Bell's head with this generational talent nonsense, but somehow they positioned themselves in negotiations as Bell being the one back in the NFL who sets the standard. Bell is a good running back. Bell is a very good running back. However, he has peers, and they act as if he does not.

Amongst the top tier are runners like Gurley, Zeke, Fournette, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Barkley, Johnson. Is Bell the best of that bunch? Maybe. Does he stand alone above them? Not a chance.

Beyond those guys you also have a nice bunch of guys who you'd be happy manning your backfield, or taking a gamble on. McCoy, Freeman, Hyde, McCaffrey, Michel, Cook, Dion Lewis.

Bottom line - Bell overplayed his hand.
    The NFL market is not about "who is the best makes the most", it's about timing. Guys before Bell getting contracts reset the market, the contracts year to year will only get bigger, that is why the Rams extended Gurley before they had to, they knew if Bell reset the market Gurley's price was only going to go up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I don't know who it is who filled Bell's head with this generational talent nonsense, but somehow they positioned themselves in negotiations as Bell being the one back in the NFL who sets the standard. Bell is a good running back. Bell is a very good running back. However, he has peers, and they act as if he does not.

Amongst the top tier are runners like Gurley, Zeke, Fournette, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Barkley, Johnson. Is Bell the best of that bunch? Maybe. Does he stand alone above them? Not a chance.

Beyond those guys you also have a nice bunch of guys who you'd be happy manning your backfield, or taking a gamble on. McCoy, Freeman, Hyde, McCaffrey, Michel, Cook, Dion Lewis.

Bottom line - Bell overplayed his hand.
    Agreed with all of this...and I'd add that I think it would be safe to add Conner to the list of "Nice bunch of guys who you'd be happy manning your backfield". He's top 5 in the league in rushing heading into the bye week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Art Rooney doesn’t expect the Steelers to trade Le’Veon Bell
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2018, 8:45 AM EDT

The Le'Veon Bell holdout lingers, with the player not showing up to get a free game check (possibly less than $855,000) for reporting during the Steelers’ Week Seven bye. It’s still not clear when, or if, he’ll return.

Either way, owner Art Rooney II doesn’t expect the Steelers to trade Bell to a new team.

Asked this week by NFL Network whether he thinks Bell could be traded, Rooney said, “I expect him to be a member of the team going forward. That’s my expectation.”

The question becomes moot if Bell doesn’t show up by Tuesday, October 30. After that, he can’t be traded in 2018, even if the Steelers wanted to make a deal.

Bell has until the Tuesday after Week 10 to show up, sign his franchise tender, fulfill his contractual requirements for 2018, and set the stage for hitting the market in 2019, with the maximum potential restriction being the transition tender. The transition tag would simply give the Steelers a chance to match an offer sheet Bell signs with another team. With James Conner due to make only $668,000 for all of 2019, it would be hard to imagine the Steelers matching a market-value offer to Bell.

“James is a darn good football player,” Rooney told NFL Network. “Happy to have him.”

Moving forward, the challenge will be to get Conner signed to an acceptable long-term deal before repeating the franchise-tag dance with Bell. The window on doing that opens after the 2019 regular season ends.

For now, the long-term window for Bell in Pittsburgh seems to be closed. At this point, the only question is how the remaining loose ends get resolved.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope